Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rmaytee)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-12-2013, 11:15 PM Reply   
I'm looking for an inexpensive inboard I can use for a wakeboarding boat for a coue years. I'd like to put a couple thousand $ into it and maybe sell it and upgrade. I love a big wake and plan to do a little bit of surfing. Not too worried about a good ski wake. With similar weight, are the wakes comparable?

Between these two boats that are for sale locally for $9k I was leaning towards the MB because it has perfect pass. But it also has 900 hrs and the Supra has 350. Should 900 hrs scare me away? Any other concerns?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-13-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
I have no experience with that particular MB boat.

With that said the Supra Sunsports are a great budget wakeboarding boat. They are very deep inside so you can throw a ton of weight in them. They have a deeper v hull, and they are pretty roomy on the comp boat direct drive side for those years. You will never have to worry about a buddy burying the nose into a wave. It's a rock solid tank in the water than can produce a really nice poppy wake.
Old     (Tahoe_MB)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-13-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaytee View Post
I'm looking for an inexpensive inboard I can use for a wakeboarding boat for a coue years. I'd like to put a couple thousand $ into it and maybe sell it and upgrade. I love a big wake and plan to do a little bit of surfing. Not too worried about a good ski wake. With similar weight, are the wakes comparable?

Between these two boats that are for sale locally for $9k I was leaning towards the MB because it has perfect pass. But it also has 900 hrs and the Supra has 350. Should 900 hrs scare me away? Any other concerns?
I would go w MB... MB is Composite stringers vs wood in Supra and the glass layup and gel coat are superior. On the engine I have 850 hrs on my PCM Proski EFI still runs like a champ. If it is an EFI engine that would be enough for me. Supra will be carb.
Old     (Austinb23)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-13-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
1992 was the first year that supra went to all composite stingers no wood in that boat and had an 1989 sunsport for 13 years and loved it every year every time i was on that boat and i now have a 2013 sunsport
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       07-15-2013, 12:50 PM Reply   
I have a 96 MB Sports Boss 210 and I love my boat. It would still be a carb model i'm assuming but with that being said our boat does great. If it has the large trunk in the back you can put a nice sized sac back there and you don't have to worry about walking around them or on them. That Supra model is super deep like Swatguy said so you would never have to worry about dipping the nose. I do have to keep an eye on mine or you could have water inside really quick but it's still better than some of the flatter boats out there. Either way i think you would be happy.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-15-2013, 1:36 PM Reply   
I would love to take a sport boss and wrap it matt black and do a saddle and lime green interior, only run it at 6:00am and 9:00 pm for skiing
Old     (DGREEN)      Join Date: May 2013       07-16-2013, 8:39 PM Reply   
Sunsport aaaalllllll day long.
Old     (jeepdude)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-17-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
I would vote Supra as well. I learned behind a sunsport and almost ended up with one a few years ago.
It was one of the best Direct Drives.

I'm not sure if all supra's were composite stringers yet.
An easy way to tell on the sunsport is if the windshield has a rounded side window or one with hard angles.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-17-2013, 10:15 AM Reply   
I own a 1992 Sunsport. I also used to ride behind a closed bow 1996 Boss 200. The MB would take water over the bow all the time and riding in the chop was downright painful. I remember lifting my ass off the seat so I didn't break my spine...

I am VERY happy with my sunsport. As stated, it puts out a nice wakeboard wake. I have a flyhigh tube sac under the rear seat (just cut out the dividers). I combine that with another tube sac on the rear floor, and a 750 fat sac next to the doghouse and about a 150 pound sack that fills the front cooler behind the playpen. So, for surfing I have 1200 to 1400 pounds of ballast.

This is with 2 people in the boat and the 1200 to 1400 pounds of ballast.

Here is the wakeboarding wake with only the under seat tube sac 2/3 full.

The new dimensions tower is hands down the best way to go for the tower on the supra. looks very OEM.

I am really happy with the playpen bow. it's my wife's "happy place".

Yes, in 1992 they went all composite and you can verify that with the rounded windshield. The supra handles the chop well and it has a TON of freeboard so it's great as mentioned above. There is also a great user community that has been a ton of help:
http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/forum.php

If you have any other questions about the 92 Supra, fire away. I'm damn happy with mine and for the money, it'd be hard to find a better boat for me.

Last edited by trayson; 07-17-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-17-2013, 10:18 AM Reply   
BTW, I was able to get my Supra for under $10k and it had:
  • 530 hours
  • basic stereo with a kenwood mp3/usb/aux input deck and 4 lower end kenwood speakers
  • perfect pass
  • hard plumbed ballast under rear seat
  • new dimensions tower with two racks
  • bimini
  • sunbrella cover
  • low pitch prop
  • dual battery with perko switch
  • heater
  • rear cusions needed re-upholstery
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-17-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
^^steaighten those legs out for some pop don't be scared!!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-17-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac420sj View Post
^^steaighten those legs out for some pop don't be scared!!
LOL. yeah, not my best wakeboarding shot, but a good shot of the wake.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-17-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
Lol I was just playing
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-17-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac420sj View Post
Lol I was just playing
no worries. :-) Still love that pic with the bridge in it.
Old     (rmaytee)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-18-2013, 7:30 AM Reply   
Thanks for the comments. And Trayson, I've seen your build on the supra forums. Read through it several times. Beautiful boat.
I have them talked down to $7400 here are a few pics:

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-18-2013, 8:33 AM Reply   
Everything looks to be in decent shape. Your rear cushions are hashed like mine were.

Intresting how yours got the "wood grain" dash. I guess I got lucky with something more neutral.

Looks like you have a great boat though. The lines on the tower aren't bad. (it would look better with bars going sideways on it, but at least it has a reasonable bend to it on the rear.)

Can you show me a pic of how the rear of your boat is strapped down? My platform seems to be in the way of rear straps. Curious how yours is done.

Good on ya for talking them down in price. I am sure you'll enjoy it a lot.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-18-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
$7400 for a composite sunsport?...what's the phone number, lol.

seats obviously need to be redone but that's a really good price provided the mechanicals check out. the price is almost too cheap.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-18-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecreek View Post

seats obviously need to be redone but that's a really good price provided the mechanicals check out. the price is almost too cheap.
The hours are lower than mine... But I got mine for $9,500 but for that $2k premium I got a nicer tower with racks, a ballast system under the rear seat, Perfect pass, low pitch prop, dual battery, bimini, cover...

Seems about comperable aside from the fact that his has lower hours. I'd say it was a good price, but not unheard of. I certainly wouldn't have paid $9,500 for mine if it didn't have the extras.
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-18-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecreek View Post

That's what I'm saying. Last composite sunsport I saw was a '95 with no tower/ballast/system. Asking $15k
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-18-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by machloosy View Post
That's what I'm saying. Last composite sunsport I saw was a '95 with no tower/ballast/system. Asking $15k
Maybe you're right...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/3913075121.html (seems high priced to me)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3938989692.html (clean lookijng but even more hours and $$$)

Maybe the OP and I are lucky??
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-18-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Maybe you're right...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/3913075121.html (seems high priced to me)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3938989692.html (clean lookijng but even more hours and $$$)

Maybe the OP and I are lucky??
I think you both are really lucky. It's also because I'm really jealous

To bring it all back to the OP;s question... Buy the Supra! Especially for $7400!!!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-18-2013, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by machloosy View Post
I think you both are really lucky. It's also because I'm really jealous

To bring it all back to the OP;s question... Buy the Supra! Especially for $7400!!!
Well, don't be jealous of my boat minus transmission:

And the money I'll be paying to the rebuilder when I get this package back from them:
Old     (rmaytee)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-18-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
I haven't picked it up yet. It's kinda pending a good test drive. I'm sure they're only willing to drop the price cause its been for sale for a couple months. They are in an inconvenient area, but only like an hour from me. It looks a bit sun bleached and with those low hours I'm sure it has sat a ton. So I'm a bit worried about the motor not being cycled much, but for that price... And the gel coat isn't anything a good professional buff job wouldn't shine up.
Old     (rmaytee)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-18-2013, 5:29 PM Reply   
I'm also curious where you might be able to pick up a tournament boat style jump seat?