Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (seeh0002)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-22-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Hi everyone

I am pretty new in wakeboarding and trying 2 understand some terms before i attempt new tricks. The information below are quoted from another wakeboarding forum.

1) What does "some break at the waist" means?

2) What does "really tall with your waist and knees slightly bent" and "lock your waist" means in the Tall Approach? (From what i see in the pictures from the forum, the tall approach seems to have the lowest body position from the water)

Thank you any guidance..cheersss

Middle Approach
In this approach, you want don't want to stand to tall, nor do you want to croach alot. You want to keep your knees slightly bent, with some break at the waist. Your elbows should be bent a little with your handle kept low to keep your centre of gravity low. But it is not necessary to pull the handle in. You want to keep this position all the way through the approach. All you need to do is rock on to your heels and lean back on your lower back. Remember, it is important to maintain this posture all the way through the approach. For wake jumps, you can even maintain this posture through out the whole trick except you just need to stand a little taller as you edge through the wake. This approach can be used for tricks like wake jumps and backrolls where you want to maintain a consistent line tension through the trick.

Seated Approach
In this approach, you want to come in on a milder edge and your upper body very tall by breaking at your waist more and your lower body croached low. The handle may be tucked in a little more than normal. The purpose of this approach is to focus more on the pop. Such approaches are typically used in grabs and spins where you want to get a good pop, but you don't want the line tension to be too tight in mid-air otherwise it would make it difficult to grab or do a handle-pass as you release one hand off the handle. Don't expect to get too far out into the flats as you are more likely to land wake-to-wake.

Tall Approach
In this approach, you want to come in really tall with your waist and knees slightly bent. It is important to lock your waist in particular. You should feel most of the tension in your upper back as compared to the lower back for the other 2 approaches. This is because this approach is used more in Raley type tricks where your body get extended into a 'Superman' position, so you want to increase your centre of gravity to your upper body, rather than your waist because, the pivot point, in this case, is at your shoulders. The line tension for this approach is the tightest, and it is because of this tightness that allows the rider to be snapped up into a raley position. Very much like a catapult effect.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-22-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
just scanning the forum boards before bed, so can't say much, but i wanted to post a link to a video on wake jumps and posture and such that i think will be REAL helpful
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ariations.html
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-23-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
yeah I'm a terrible teacher but I would suggest two things. 1) that link above is EXACTLY what you need. 2) I was going to suggest looking up videos with the tricks listed in the description and to mimic the body position of the the riders. For example, in your third paragraph it mentions Raleys. look up a video of a raley and mimic that rider. You know what, just watch that link, its seriously perfect