Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (pc332)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-21-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
Just wanted you guys to know that the condition of this boat is being misrepresented. I just drove 1,900 miles one way to pick up this boat and was very upset to find that the boat was not like he claimed. The owner repeatedly told me that there were not any tears or marks on the boat other than one little cut on the back seat. The pictures that I asked for looked good and were very decieving. Upon arrival, I found that there were numerous tears in the upholstry, cracks in the gelcoat, the exterior had numerous scratches, and many more visible problems. The trailer showed evidence of extreme exposure to weather. There is no way that this boat has been cared for as described by the owner! I also noticed that he just raised the price when he reposted the boat. I am sorry to be venting this to you guys, but I lost a deposit due to being under the impression that the boat was in "immaculate shape" like he claimed and I also spent a ton of money driving 3,600 miles there and back and I would hate for someone else to go through this! Here is the site:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/614287410.html
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-21-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
that suchs

worst of all now you have to start looking all over again
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-21-2008, 10:58 PM Reply   
Man that does suck. Next time post here to see if someone lives close can go snag better photos or review it for ya. I'd run look @ a person's boat within a few miles and snap some pics and give a description of the interior.
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-21-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
I second Scott's offer(if ever needed).Next time reach out to your WW homies.That's a longer trip than I would have taken for a sight unseen boat. Sorry for your mis-adventure p c. Hope your search gets better....
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2008, 11:14 PM Reply   
So me people in the delta area that would have taken a look at it for you. Hit us up next time
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-22-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
I'll definitely extend that same offer if someone is looking at a boat in Mississippi or hell even a few hours from here. I have friends 2-3 hours from me in every direction and always lookin for a good reason to go see em.

That's what a forum like this is for IMO! helpin the wake community anyway we can!
Old     (pc332)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-22-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I had been back and forth with the guy for a while and my gut feeling trusted him and that's why I didn't use someone. He was always so reassuring about everything and I have learned a lesson the hard way. Either way, thanks guys and I'll be using yall next time for sure if its far away!
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-22-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
that does such. It has a great sound system though...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-22-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
if the deposit was significant enough i would take the guy to cmall claims to get it back for false advertisement
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-23-2008, 12:37 AM Reply   
A deposit is fully refundable by law unless the seller incurred expenses as a result. Sounds like you have a legitimate claim.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-23-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
Dang..Im sorry man.. If he never said anything about your deposit being non-returnable..you should definitely be entitled to to get it back..I would definitely pursue getting it back, and in the meantime, FLAG his post for false advertisement..If I ran craiglist I wouldnt want scammers selling things through my site!

For anyone that lives outside of NC, I can cover most of NC east of Charlotte to the coast if you live outta state and are interested in a boat around here...Defintely just let me know..

-Chris
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-23-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
I did a full test drive and inspection for a guy in Minnesota this last Fall (I am in SoCal). I gave him a full objective report, and he made a decision based on my description, and pictures. It helped the seller unload his boat, and the buyer was able to make a more informed decision. He had the boat shipped, and I think he was pretty happy with how it turned out. He paid me a little for my time(4 hours and a little drive), and it was kind of fun.
His profile was "Nick in the TC" I believe. Ask him what his impression was of how it worked out.
Old     (pc332)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-23-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
Trevor, the sound system looks great in the picture, but it was really weathered.

We did agree on the deposit being non-refundable but that was based on the information that he was telling me. What action would you guys take and do I have a legitimate chance? Thanks again guys.
Old    mendo247            03-23-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Thats horrible. Having spent some time looking at used boats myself and with friends, people either take care of them or they dont. Some peoples impression of nice is completely different than most of ours. Id be really upset thats a long drive!!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-23-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
He wasted your time, we can waste his. Have a bunch of us call him, schedule a time to look at the boat, and then not show up.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-23-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Im in whats the #
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-23-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
It sounds like you have a viable claim against him if you want to pursue it. As you said, you did agree to a non refundable deposit, however the boat was falsely represented. If you have any kind of email correspondence saved, where he states the boat is in great condition, where we all know it wasn't from what you have told us, you should be entitled to a return of your deposit. Call an attorney or two and ask them if you have a viable case, many will give you a free consultation to see if there is even a case, if so, then take him to small claims. Good luck with everything, that really sucks.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-23-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Hey Nick, It's in the craiglist link. I don't wanna post it.

I called ealier and didn't get an answer.
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-23-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
I would of offered to take a look at it for you and take pics. I live 20 minutes from where you went and saw the boat. Next time just hit up WW's. We all are here to support and help each other out. Like the one poster above there are so many WW's that live in the area where I am at. The CA Delta.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-23-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
sorry about that dude we bought a boat sight unseen but luckily it turned out great
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-23-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
any sort of misrepresentation makes the agreement null & void, right?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-23-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
As others have mentioned, you can use us as a resource when you are interested in purchasing a boat. The perfect boat is still out there just waiting for you to find it.
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       03-23-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
Another word of caution for anyone boat hunting: If a boat has always been stored indoors, the cover should be in very good shape. The Craigs List Ad mentions that a new boat cover was just purchased and that it was stored indoors. A standard boat cover should survive a couple (2-3)of seasons. If stored indoors (out of the sun) a cover should last a very long time.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-23-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
id call him and tell him that he can either refund your deposit or he can end up giving it back and also pay for the time you had to take off of workk in the small claims court. dont let him get away with it. thats total b.s.

he realy didnt care weather you bought the boat or not he was making your deposit strait into his pocket either way.. i would tell him to refund it or he could also pay for the fuel you spent going there. damn that suxs.. sorry man
Old     (bhutch)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-23-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
After reading this go to the thread "buying a used boat?check here" sign up, and help a fellow rider out..
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-24-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
looks like he removed the ad: "This posting has been deleted by its author.
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)"
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-24-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
What year make and model was it?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-25-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
I don't remember the exact year, I wanna say 04 or so. It was a red and white Xstar