Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-25-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
My doc told me I need to lay off Motocross entirely until my back heals to avoid making it worse. Well yesterday I traded my 07 KTM 250SX for an 08 DRZ400SM with 3000 miles. Even trade. I have been having so much fun on the DRZ. I miss my KTM, but sitting in the garage and not being ridden was pointless. The DRZ is actually a 434. Below is the list of mods and a youtube video of it...pretty sweet bike

2008 DRZ400SM Athena Big Bore makes it a 434.

Motor

Athena 94 mm forged piston and jug makes it a 434 12.2:1 compression (runs on premium)
Web cams (intake and exhaust) 239/536 grind
FCR 39mm EMN needle 3rd clip, 45 pilot, 2 turns on fs, 160 main
Yoshi Full RS2
3x3 mod
Uni foam filter and K&N filter
220 CCA battery Yuasa with Sisneros battery clamp
Free power mod
TT manual cam chain tensioner
Trail Tech 8oz lighter flywheel.

Everything Else

Unabiker rad guards
Race Tech suspension
Avon Distanzias 160 rear
Trail Tech Vector Computer
Works connection frame guards
Thumper Talk skid plate
Thumper Talk motor skid plates
MSR shifter
Zeta bark busters and handguards with turn signals
Zeta shorty brake lever
Tusk shorty clutch lever
DRC fat pegs
Rox Risers
Zeta rubber eliminators
ODI grips
Aprilla mirrors
Edge rear led lights
Rear rack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWEYf0q8yXs
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
I was hoping for a full walk around, but it sounds like a nice bike. Have fun!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-26-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
Where's Evan? I know he has a DRZ too
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-26-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
Hows that thing on the highway. Id like to get one but am not sure about only a 400 for longer highway runs.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-26-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
I got it in Austin and drove it back to San Antonio on the highway. It cruised at 80mph no problem, but the vibration was not fun. My hands and arms had some serious tingle when I got home. It's a blast around town, and is capable of highway riding, but not the most ideal for long trips. I get a lot of thumbs up and a lot of looks like "wtf is that thing?"
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-26-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Awesome!

I took a buddy of mine out on his DRZ yesterday for his innagural road trip. We racked up about two 200 miles doing multiple twisty roads and he was loving it. Your'e going to love this style of riding. SMing has got to be the most fun you can have on a bike!

Mine.
Attached Images

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-26-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Yeah, if I remember correctly you traded your RC for that XR. I've seen some XR's with the MX style fender...makes the bike look much different and better IMO.

I need to find some people to ride with and definitely need more seat time...I've been a dirt rider exclusively
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, man.... Sick. You'll be stoked on that bike, for sure. I'm sure it's got the little extra poke that I'd like to get out of mine. I've got the same exhaust. There's a restrictor that makes it really tame and quiet. Uncork it and it sounds like a full motor cross bike. It rips.

I was laughing this morning. I jumped on the freeway and was cruising about 73 in the middle lane when a Ducati Multi-strada went blowing by. It's the first bike I've ever had that was such a turd on the freeway. If it weren't for the block long wheelie I rode before turning onto the on ramp, then I might be disappointed. It's so quick around town, though. Makes trips through empty parking lot's into a game. You can ride it just like a MX bike. Down stairs. Up stairs. It's rad. That, and the 60 MPG doesn't hurt, either.

Cool man... You'll definitely love it. Check your oil frequently, especially if you ride freeway a lot. They don't hold much and they burn a little bit on long decel from high RPM's. That's the only thing that kills these bikes. People running them out of oil.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-26-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
What oil do you use Evan?

Yeah the exhaust has already been uncorked. Giving the throttle a little blip at the gas station makes the soccer moms jump.

It's pretty much a do anything bike...there was a ton of traffic on the highway yesterday when Church let out, I took a short cut through the woods back to my house...it was great
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-26-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
My old room mate had an 07 DRZ. Ton of fun playing with those things.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
ha, ha... already putting it to good use.

I'm using Maxima synthetic right now, but you can use just about anything you'd like. I'm going 2k on oil changes. Adding a few drops now and again. You'll be suprised, when it's at the bottom of the dipstick it'll only take a couple ounces to fill up. Doesn't take much. I try to stick with a motorcycle based lube. Not sure if it has any effect on the clutch, but that's the only spot I could see it making a difference.

One of the other guys at the shop has a higher mileage one that has had Chevron non-synthetic automotive oil it's whole life. It's been fine. i don't think they're all that picky.