Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    shaver            04-19-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
Took the Pro Air out for the first time this season and it over heated,I had to throw the anchor out.The current was killer this time of the year and good thing I have a mother of a anchor. After getting a tow from a good samaritin back to the ramp.When I got home I pulled the impeller thinking it was toast but it was in perfect shape. I put a new o-ring and gasket, hooked up the fake a lake and still it would not pull water thru the system.What could it be??
Old    gotpwr            04-19-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
Check the raw water inlet filter on the back side of the engine. It could be full of crap and plugged up.
Old    gotpwr            04-19-2003, 6:36 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of the raw water inlet filter. It's the thing with the yellow label on it.(Imagine that, a warning sticker on a Nautique!) If that's not it, the thermostat on your engine might be stuck.
Raw Water Filter
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-19-2003, 7:12 PM Reply   
Check the thermostat.

www.Wake-Me.com

(Message edited by phaeton on April 19, 2003)
Old    shaver            04-19-2003, 7:23 PM Reply   
I hooked the hose from the house to the inlet hose and ran water thru the system that way with the house presure and it worked fine unless it can by pass the thermostat doing it that way . The water strainer is clean and has been.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hi Lance, I thought I wrote this post earlier, but I guess I messed up... Anyway, I had the same problem you did, engine was running hot, impeller was fine, no clogs, new thermostat, etc. One thing you can do is just take the thermostat out, if it still overheats then that's not the problem. What I found was that the water primer pump was bad. The bearings had gone out and it wasn't turning like it was supposed to, thus only getting part of the water into the engine. To check that, pull off the outlet hose from the pump and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket, it should fill the bucket in 15seconds, if it takes longer, you need a new pump. I would also suggest calling Discount Inboard Marine and talk to someone there, they know their boats over there, they have fixed mine twice over the phone.
Later
Tiffany
www.WakeChicks.com
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-20-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Stupid question. My nautique has an on/off vavle for the fresh water intake. If it's closed it won't let water in. hence, no cooling. Thinking yours may be the same. Make sure it's open. located before the screen.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-21-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
This is a real long shot, but if the raw water pump is installed rotated 180 degrees from the factory, it won't pump. On a GT40 motor, the brass screw on the side of the pump should face the block (brass screw goes in for a left-hand rotation engine, out for a right-hand rotation engine). Long shot, but worth a quick check if you had the pump out.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
is the belt on?
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-22-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
You also might check that the seal (o-ring) on the water filter is good and or fitting correctly when you re-assemble the filter. I knew someone with a '90 SN that said they had problems with the seal, and it would let air into the system and not allow the water to get to the engine.
Old    yukons            04-30-2003, 9:33 AM Reply   
Ihad the same problem a couple of years ago. The problem I had was caused by a by-pass valve that was inline on a flush kit (run the boat out of the water) which you conneected a garden hose to an inlet. The bypass valve got stuck and would not allow any water to be picked up though the fresh water intake. Hopefully this will correct the problem for you. I had some colateral damage, one of my in-line mufflers split from overheating and the exhaust water was collecting in the bilge. The muffler had to be replaced