Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (kittrell)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-09-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
hello, im currently planning to buy a board, looking into the hyperlite parks line. I have options of buying the 136cm 2006 or the 138cm 2004 boards, but haven’t ridden any and don't know how they feel, I would appreciate if any experienced riders could enlighten me with the best parks board that has came out through the years 2003 to 2006.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-09-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
Andres, what board are you currently riding and what is your skill level? For reference I can land backrolls, 180s, and am working on a 360. (dang handle pass!) I've ridden both and personally loved the 03-04 and hated the 05-06.

03-04 tracked far better than the 05-06 Parks. It does need smaller fins but otherwise it's a great board. A lot of people complained about it bucking like a mule (i.e. unpredictable pop that would make them do rocket airs) but that makes me question their board control as I never had a problem keeping it level and getting very predictable pop. My friend now uses my old Parks and he has learned w2w both sides and is working on a toeside backroll.

Are you at all interested in other boards or are you sure you're buying one of these two boards? (I eventually found a board that I thought incorporated all my favorite features of the Parks with a few others and thus I prefer it more.)
Old     (kittrell)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-13-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Josh, I'm a beginner (i land wake to wake both sides and 180s in the flats, no 360s or rolls yet) and i have been riding a CWB 141 SOL which is practically a entry level board. I am interested in the parks because from the comments i have read and heard, its capable of taking you from beginner to advanced all the way. I was considering the parks 2004 and the Parks 2006 because those two options are available to me know, for economical and practical reasons.
I understand that in your opinion the 03 and 04 boards are better, thats good for me to know. But can you also tell me about the other board you consider that incorporates the parks features plus more??

Old     (chainboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-13-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
I have riddena a 142 dna 2004 my bord I like 2006 144 loved it but My couz has a parks dna 140 dna 2005 best board I have every ridden.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-13-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
The Parks board does have a very aggressive pop and many beginners find it difficult to control, not something you want to worry about when you are learning. If I were you I'd look for a board that is a little less aggressive when it comes to pop. The other feature that I feel is great for progressing and learning is the molded fins that you Sol has, the Parks has removable fins and in my experience this locks a board in too much. Molded fins allow you to ride finless which you will eventually want and also with avarious size center fins, its good option to have. If you are set on Hyperlite, many like the 3DS and its a little more user friendly.

As for your current board, the Sol, being a beginner board. The truth of the matter is that the Sol is based off the Absolute series, its the original Absolute Zane Schwenk pro model from 2002. Your current board can get you to any level you want, heck Andrew Adkison rode a Sol at a professional event when an airline lost his luggage. Here's a picture of a fellow (Mark Kenney) riding your board.Upload
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-13-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
Big Heavy, while you are technically correct, (anyone CAN progress on any board) there are newer boards that can help people progress faster. Case in point: The HL Motive is a great board. I learned most of what I know with the Motive. I am now riding the O'Brien Natural and a good friend of mine was riding the Motive. He was okay but pretty much just did w2w. I let him ride my Natural one day and it was insane how much he progressed. In just a few sets he was landing 180s and backrolls and recently landed a 360. He's now better than me. He says he cannot believe it would make such a difference and if I wouldn't have seen it I wouldn't have believed it either.

Andres, in considering Big Heavy's statement please know that he is someone who thinks CWB can do no wrong. (Sorry Big Heavy, not to be a jerk but I'm just trying to help the guy out.) Maybe he's right Andres, but maybe another board would help.

My friend, a beginner, has never had a problem with the Parks, and learned w2w on it. My other friend, the one now better than me, looked horrible riding it. I can't say if the Parks will work for you.

As for the amazing board I thought incorporated all the great features of the Parks, that would be the O'Brien Natural. It is the most user friendly wakeboard I've ever found. I really liked how the 03-04 Parks tracked but I wished it was easier to bust loose on surface tricks. The Natural has the same great pop as the Parks, tracks as well as the Parks but also breaks loose when (and only when) I want it to. I'd guess the pop is more controllable based on my friends but, again, I never have had a problem with the Parks.

If you can find a Natural I promise you'll love it. Good luck in your buying and let me know if you have any more questions!}
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-13-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
When I was uneducated in wakeboarding a couple years back and basically a beginner, some idiot talked me into buying a Parks because 'it isn't too aggressive of a board to learn on.' So over the past couple seasons I've been riding it and have learned HS and TS wake to wake and both 180's, everything grabbed, and am working on rolls and 3's.

This season after I have the chance to demo, I'm picking up a new board. I'm considering the new Transcend, the Marius, or possibly the One. I think if I get off of my Parks I will progress faster than I have in the past, now that I have a solid foundation riding a board that was difficult to control, especially on my toeside.
Old     (hotsauce3606)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-15-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
Andres, good move getting some feedback on the Parks before buying one. I was also talked into buying an 06 before riding one and I'll be surprised if I keep the board this whole season. The board review section rated it well, but overall I get the impression most don't like the Parks line (I'm one of em). The board rides so deep in the water it feels like the boat dragging you and although not a huge problem it is inconsistent. If you do buy one you have to ride it finless. In my opinion the 06 hl Premier is sick board. (compared to the lf substance, hl parks and era)
Old     (kittrell)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2007, 10:55 PM Reply   
I've bought the 2004 Parks through ebay. I've ridden it 3 times so far and I tell you people I love it. I feel it very stable and secure, easy to control. For the pop, not so much as people say it has. I feel it has a lot of edge, you can edge very very hard and the board seems completely fastened in its place. I've clawed a pair of 2005 Byerly Bindings, and i'm also very satisfied with them. The only thing is that its difficult to take them off after finishing, they don't fall of easily when you fall.
Great board, great boots.
Thanks to you all for your help.
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-29-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
ive had a 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006...by far, my favorite was the 2003, but i broke it doing air tricks at owc, the 2005 is pretty good and the 06 isnt that great