Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
i want to try my first invert this weekend. goingg to the lake both days.
might be my last trip for the season.

i have to pull all c's to ride and i think my final grade is going to be a c-

so im at the point where i dont give a F$#& if i get hurt.

should i try a backroll or a tantrum first? ive heard from different people that tantrums are easier and ive also heard that backrolls are easier.

what do you guys recomend and any tips would be sweet

i dont think this helps you. but the i can front flip into a pool with no problem. thats the only flip ive ever tried to do
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Backroll.

one little swish of a pen can turn a - into a +
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
oh, and a backroll is like a backwards cartwheel more than a gainer type flip

take your normal wake jump cut distance, make sure the cut is reeeeaaallllly progressive, you want to hit the wake going almost 100% perpendicular to it, but you don't want to carry a ton of speed into the wake.... e.i. a really progressive edge.

wait for the pop, edge all the way up and through the wake, then roll off the top....

head to your back shoulder, front hip straight up towards the sky, keep you hands in towards your hips, 1 hand or 2 works fine, do whatever is best for you.... try to spot your landing and you're golden.

Make sure you're committing 100%.... the falls are easy on this as long as you commit, if you half ass it thats when the falls hurt.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
okay thanks a ton. i just watched a few video on yyoutube. and between that and what you just said. i know alot more about it then i already did
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
dump question. is a front roll or a back roll harder. a ffront roll looks more comffortable and not as awkward. but i may be wrong
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-28-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Talking about toeside? No such thing as heelside frontroll, its a mexican backroll.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
ive seen videos that say heelside frontroll. i used to think there was no such thing as well untl i saw videos
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-28-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Naw man, there is no such thing, people just calling it that, it's really a mexican backroll.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
is that like an actual name for it. or is that what you call it?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
A backroll is a backroll, some people just throw it more as a front roll motion than a opposite cartwheel.... its still a backroll no matter how they throw it.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-28-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Mexican backroll is the name, saying that a normal backroll is the same isn't really right, they look completely different.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
okay. thanks nick and nick
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-28-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
tantrum is wayyyyy easier, throw that one first!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
tips matt?
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-28-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
My boy found the TS backroll the easiest 1st invert to land. Everyone is different but hey you might like to give them a try?
Upload
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-28-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
If you feel comfortable with a back flip into a pool or on a trampoline try the tantrum, or go for both!

How to do a Tantrum - From Detention 2012 (I still don't have it yet but I haven't tried it since I got Detention) Cut out as wide as you can then cut basically as hard as possible back at the wake, just before you hit it flatten off your edge and let go with your back hand to square your body up to the wake, try to get your shoulders and your board as parallel to the wake as you can, you will feel the board kick your feet out from under you, throw your head and shoulders back at the top of the wake then try to tuck as much as you can to make the spin. The part I struggled with is getting the board back down, only landed one successfully but I lost the handle so it doesn't count... Go hard at it or you will not get through the rotation and land on your head. Spot your landing early, it is really easy to spot your landing basically as soon as you leave the wake, since your head will be back you can almost see the landing from there. Make sure you keep your knees bent, you don't want to land with straight legs, if you do land like that it won't be your grades stopping you from riding it will be your busted knee.

BTW, don't worry about the falls on a tantrum, they don't hurt.

(Message edited by jtnz on May 28, 2009)
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-28-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
Dude, its High School, pay attention and get an A. Its not that hard...
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
well change of plans. i get to ride both days this weekend.and he says if i try to flip i wont ride the rest of the day saturday and sunday.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
"Dude, its High School, pay attention and get an A. Its not that hard..."
dont worry about my grades. i dont understand geometry at all. thats why i failed it the first time
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-28-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Geometry isn't too hard, but Algebra 2 is KILLER!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
i cant memorize all the proofs. the class makes no sense to me
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
Really, trouble in algebra 2 and geometry.... the education system in the country I tell ya.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-28-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
Oh jeez, yea proofs were deadly too, luckily our teacher wasn't a big fan of them either.. haha
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-28-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
heres a link to riding tips for most of the inverts

http://wakeboard.com.sg/index.php?showforum=14
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-28-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
I've taught two friends their first inverts, both being tantrums. One buddy stuck it his third attempt, and the other stuck it in a couple day's worth of tries. Keep in mind their progression tree is not typical. Neither of them can even go HS 180 wake to wake, but they were eager for the invert.

Although I learned the HS backroll first, I say the tantrum is better to teach as a first invert since the motion is easier to comprehend mentally compared to a backroll. The idea of dropping your back hand and throwing your legs over your upper body is easier to envision for a first timer rather than carving through, up, and away from the wake. It all depends on the rider though. I say give both a shot and the closer you are to one than the other, stick with that one.

Best of luck.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
i cant 180 either. i cant ride switch. im dieing for an invert though...

but my dad wont let me try now.. i guess ill try a 360 instead
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-28-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
TS FS 180 is a piece of cake, if you've got a solid w2w jump just let the handle out and it will pull you around, landing switch can be tricky but it's not that hard. Keep the handle in when you land so you don't get pulled out the front.

I landed TS FS 180s before a straight TS wake jump cause I never kept the handle in to my hip when I was starting. If you can't try your inverts then you can kill 2 birds with one stone with the 180s.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
I do not mean to Jock lfrider92's tread... but what exactly do you all mean by "Mexican Roll"and why?... simple question simple answer right?

Thanks all
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-28-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
A Mexican roll is named after Mexican rider Andrea Gaytan. She would perform a HS backroll by throwing her body more forward than in a typical backroll where the motion is more like a cartwheel.

If you push your roll to far towards a true front flip and away from a cartwheel, your may find that your board hits the rope.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
best advice would just to out there and have fun that will make you progress.
Old     (macattack)      Join Date: May 2009       05-28-2009, 10:50 PM Reply   
david- your dad wont let you try an invert? is he afraid of you getting hurt??? just start throwing backflips off the ground and landing on your stomach. lets see what he says then.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-28-2009, 11:54 PM Reply   
tantrum: cut in hard, flatten off at the wake, let go with your back hand and square up to the wake, wait for pop, dont throw it early, throw your head back, spot your landing and ride away

toe backroll: cut in hard toeside, wait for the pop then just throw your head back and spot the landing, keep the handle low to your hip and ride away on your toe edge

360: progressive cut, pop off the wake, pull hard with your back hand, reach around for the handle, and ride away. add a little grap in it, slob, nose, melon...
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-29-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
"david- your dad wont let you try an invert? is he afraid of you getting hurt??? just start throwing backflips off the ground and landing on your stomach. lets see what he says then."

he says he doesnt want to have to to take me to the hospital and have to deal with me for the next few months while im hurt.

the way i see it. the only way your EVER going to land something is to TRY. no one learned to a whirlybird by only jumping the wake
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-30-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
had pretty choppy water most of the day. didnt try anything new... unfortunatly. just threw some grabs in and straight airs.
Upload
Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-30-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
Tantrums were super easy for me. I think I got it on my 7th try. Commit and you'll be good. Not so good on the backroll's for me.... That trick is my mental block. I skipped right past them. I should get back on it, but I got knocked out twice learning them.

Calculus was the killer for me.... No good. LOL!!! I'm glad I'm done with school.