Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-01-2003, 7:38 PM Reply   
Guys I'm try to finalize what componets to use for my system and I'm torn on what amps to use. Thought maybe I could hear back on what people are using and how they are working out. Leaning towards JL amps right now but they are the most expensive out of my choices.

Also what configuration are people putting tower speakers in... i.e. 4-6" co-axals, 4-6X9's, 2-8"midbass drivers w/some seperates?

So far i have 2 JL 6w12's and i think diamond 600's for the cabin area(3pairs). Should sound killer if i figure out what to power it with!!!

(Message edited by sae4life on April 01, 2003)
Old    doubleup1080            04-01-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
Ok, well if you are on a budget some good amps are Us Acoustics, Jbl, Profile Clarus, Lanzar. For good midrange amps there are mtx, kicker, alpine, crossfire, hifonics, memphis, autotek, fosgate, Pioneer Premier.
High-end amps would include phoenix gold, PPI, zapco, Arc audio, Concept, diamond audio, DEI, McIntosh, MMats, Orion, Soundstream, Us amps, Jl audio. Decide how much you want to spend then we can take it from there. I have used orion, alpine, fosgate, phoenix gold, diamond audio, us acoustics, jbl and I have been very pleased with all of them. I use (4) 6x9's, but I know many that have components on their towers. I personally love my 6x9's. I like the thought of diamond 600s'. I am running 600a's in my suv. Anyway figure how much you want to spend.
Old    doubleup1080            04-01-2003, 11:13 PM Reply   
My families boat shows component speakers on the tower, but from time to time I will put up the 6X9's on the tower. My 6x9's really scream!
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-02-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   
I'm not rich but I'm gonna do it right the first time.... so with that said the JL amp's are about 400 each. Good Guys started carrying JL audio so they can price match whatever price i find. Anyone seen JL amps cheaper(500/1 and 300/4)
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
Rob, the JL amps are nice you could also:

Sub amp -- JBL BP600.1 or BP1200.1. Dirt cheap sub power, check ebay.
Boat amp -- Xtant X4004 (run the rear channels 2 ohm mono, and fronts off of the front channels)
Tower amp -- An other X4004

I suggest the X4004 because Xtant just came out with the X4.4 amp. You can find killer deals on close out X4004.

Post pics when you are done, that system will rock!

I have Diamond S600s and M361 in my car and love them. I have also had a pair of JL-W6 in the car and boat. The BP600.1 was plent of power for them.

In my boat I have two Xtant Amps and some friggin huge Kenwood sub amp, the Xtants have been great. No noise, very clean sound ampls.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2003, 7:42 AM Reply   
Rob, the JL amps are nice you could also:

Sub amp -- JBL BP600.1 or BP1200.1. Dirt cheap sub power, check ebay.
Boat amp -- Xtant X4004 (run the rear channels 2 ohm stereo, and fronts off of the front channels)
Tower amp -- An other X4004

I suggest the X4004 because Xtant just came out with the X4.4 amp. You can find killer deals on close out X4004.

Post pics when you are done, that system will rock!

I have Diamond S600s and M361 in my car and love them. I have also had a pair of JL-W6 in the car and boat. The BP600.1 was plent of power for them.

In my boat I have two Xtant Amps and some friggin huge Kenwood sub amp, the Xtants have been great. No noise, very clean sound ampls.
Old    doubleup1080            04-02-2003, 1:40 PM Reply   
The Jl audio 500/1 sells for $387 @ purecaraudio.com. The jl 300/4 amp is $365 also @ purecaraudio.com. Hope this helps. If you weren't going to buy through goodguys, I'd try to get the Phoenix Gold Tantrum amplifiers. Equivalent to Jl for a little less .
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-02-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
OK think I have finally settled on whats going in the boat so heres the run down:

- 4 infinity kappa 60.5cs up on the tower in an Aluminum box run by a JL 300/4

- 2 JL 12w3v2 powered by 1 JL500/1 at 2ohm

- 4 JL xr650csi around the cabin powered by 1 JL 300/4

- Gonna use the factory Sony head unit cause i like the wired remote but adding the cdx-757-mx changer(hoping 12sec anti-skip is enough)

- All ready have dual batts so we'll see how long it plays before adding more battery power.

Should be real F-in loud!!!
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-02-2003, 6:20 PM Reply   
Question?

I didnt put any speakers up in the bow or on the tower fireing forward. Think they are needed? Will the peeps up there be ok with just whats behind the wind sheild? Who are the big stereo guru's? I'm sure someone has already tackled this topic?

Oh yeah one more thing, did i forget anything?

(Message edited by sae4life on April 02, 2003)
Old    doubleup1080            04-02-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
IMO, I don't think its really necessary for additional speakers on the tower to be facing the bow. However, you could just have the two speakers in the bow powered by the deck just so music is coming from all directions. However, that too really isn't necessary. After all, you will have a total of 8 full-range speakers and the subs.