Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old    kidrik            05-04-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
O.K., so I go to top off the tank last week, and shortly after I get 'er going, the handle pops out, and gas goes flying. I think, what a nub, I didn't have it in correctly, blah blah. Anyway, I try again, and the pump keeps stopping, like it's full. I get frustrated and leave. I then pull into another station and try again. SAME THING. Except this time I get the BONUS plan, and as I'm trying to squirt in small bits at at time, fuel starts spilling out of the "air gap/overflow" in the rear.....? WTF? So again I leave.

SO! Before ridin' yesterday, I try one last time.
As soon as I started pumping slowly, gas came out the rear??? Luckily I have a 65 gal. tank, and had enough fuel to ride, however, that just wore out, and I need to figure out what's going on!!! ANYONE have this problem? At first I thought it was a fluke, or not making a proper seal, but I've tried everything, and it' tripping me out...

And no, I've NEVER had this happen before!

Thanks!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-04-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I've had that happen on the trailer. The bow was down more than in the water and I've got a long run sideways from the filler to the tank.
Some places I can't fill it because there is a tiny downslope at the pump. Others have a tiny upslope so its no problem.
Slope of the filler line was my problem.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-04-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
I don't have the fill problem, but our Malibu VLX spits when it gets about 3/4 or more full and isn't on a perfectly level surface. That include while getting on plane. There's a fix for the the air vent that keeps it from doing that when it bubbles and gurgles around.

My old VW had a very similar problem when filling and it was the angle. Some gas station pumps caused it more than others, but most of the time I had to hold the gas handle up the whole time while filling. Try different angles of approach with it. I never had one fall out, but you get the idea
Old    kidrik            05-04-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm on a trailer. I'm level. I'm using the same station I've used a hundred times before......??

It does bubble and gurgle as well....... I've tried pushing in, pulling out, going fast, slow........still no luck! Just last time I barely started pumping (very slow) and gas spewed out the back......?

I will try again today after work.............any other suggestions???
Old    deltahoosier            05-04-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Not sure I read your post and understand everything, but, I will tell you what I would do on my Malibu VLX.

I would pump and the pumps shut off all the time until it would get near full. I figured it was from vapors because that is what the little boot is for. It is a vapor return. I could also lift the back seat and see the tank as well so that helped.

Here is what I did to get around the vapor return shutting down the pump. I would stick the noozle in the fill hole. I would take my second hand, stick it between the boat and the boot and pull back on the boot until the pump would pump again. That created a little air space and I would do that until the tank got closer to being full, then the pump worked fine.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       05-04-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Make sure you don't have a kink in your supply line to the tank, and that the line has adequate angle down to the tank. Any restriction will make it burp. I had a sharp bend in my routing and it used to burp on me until I straightened it out.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-04-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
Rik , take a good look at the vent line from the tank to see if something is pinching it.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
Rik,
Nice Profile pic!!
Old    kidrik            05-04-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Rich! That's my "Motley Crew".... My daughter's a hell of a driver!

Thanks guys, I'll check that out today as well! I'm assuming it's accessable if I pull off the panels?

Man, I hope it's an easy fix. Could you imagine not being able to go out cuz I can't put frickin' gas in the boat??
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-04-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
On my VLX I remove both fuel caps before I fill the tank. You have to pay attention to the fuel level as you're filling, but I've never had it spit any fuel. Just another option if you have dual gas fills.

Greg
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-06-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
rik, it sounds like you have a full tank...maybe your gauge is telling you not full but it is full...can you see down into your tank? can you stick it to check the level?
or when its empty it won't take gas still????
65 gallons? dammm thats ballast
Old    kidrik            05-06-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
I so want that to be the problem......! But I went to put gas in after a couple of times out???

I checked the best I could for any kinks in the line, and saw none. So I will try again this week!

That's funny you said "ballast"....Cuz I posted that as a topic not long ago, and a couple of responses were a firm "you don't count gas as ballast".......My point is, call it what you want, but if you were heading out one day, and could add 350lbs + to the total weight with no effort, and not taking up any space, would you? To each his own.

Thanks.