Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
MY DAUGHTER BOARDS!
she got up the first time!
already crossing the wake...after only 4 pulls!
I pull her at 13...don't want to scare her
and it makes falling softer

anyone got any advice as to how fast I should pull?
some have told me to get her up to 20mph
but that seems fast for a kid
....she's 10 and weighs about 55
thanks
Old     (neosin)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-01-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
I've taught kids of all ages to board. Slow is good to start. As she gains skills and confidence you can start to increase the speed. The ultimate goal is to get her to the optimum wake speed 18-23. If the speed never increases she'll never be able to make any kind of progress. It sounds wrong, but if she doesn't want to go faster, you may have to do it without her knowing. But the ultimate goal is to have fun! So don't push, Just pull!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
good advice
thanks
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-01-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
i would slowly increase the speed everytime you go out and see what happens till it boosts her confidence.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-01-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
If you don't go fast enough, she'll start relying on her fins to turn the board, when she should be relying on the edges to turn direct the board. It's easier to set an edge the faster she's going. 20 is goal you should try to reach by the end of the summer, IMO.

Congrats on your daughter getting out there at such a young age, that's AWESOME.
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       06-01-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
How fast you should pull, if you're a intermediate rider. Because my boat don't get faster than 25 mph?
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-01-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Like my dad told me when I was learning to water ski and snow ski. If your not crashing your not trying. Now this may seem a bit harsh but if she learns not to be afraid of crashing she will become a better rider faster. It worked for me one thing that I am not afraid of is hitting the water. I think a good tool and abillity that makes a good rider is the ability to crash with out getting to hurt. "Air sense" or the ability to land on your feet is key to learning harder tricks. If she realizes at her young age that when she hits the water and the air gets knocked out of her she is still OK then she will have the "balls" to try harder stuff when she gets stronger. So my point is get her up to speed as fast as you can so she isn't scared later.
I hope that I made sense.
Al
Old     (norcal72)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-01-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
for what it is worth, my kid is 6 and this is his second year boarding. I did the same thing as you and started out at around 13 mph. He was having fun but having a hard time cutting across the wake because the wake is taller than him at that speed. I told him that it would be easier for him if he would let me speed up because the wake would get smaller and he could start jumping which is all he wants to do. He agreed and this last weekend I had him up to 20 mph and he was able to cross the wake and start practicing jumping. I hope that helps. Good luck
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-01-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
My Daughter started boarding at 7 and I did the same, 13mph to start and just increased little by little without her knowing as she got better. She never said a word and just adjusted without any worries. Now she is 9 and rides 20-21 MPH and loves the sport.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-01-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
My 6 year old son is also starting his second season. I have pulled him at around 17 or 18 MPH from the start. He was a pretty accomplished (for his age) skateboarder before getting behind the boat last year and I'm sure this helped. I'm confident he'll be doing surface tricks in no time.

Jman
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       06-01-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
I pull my 9yr old(10 any day now!) at 18.5-19mph on the ppass. He can w2w with good edging. The crashes at 20 are a bit harsh for this size. The extra 1mph sounds unimportant but I can see a difference in his comfort level. I suggest riding doubles with them to get a better handle on what speed they should ride at. Its a blast, and when I do it, I am always amazed at the power of 18.5-19 on a kid and the speed they can generate with a good cut.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
wow!
thanks or all of the feedback
congrats on all of yalls kids boarding
very impressive!
i agree with the ...getting them up to speed , and not let them get overly comfortable at a slow speed
thanks
we are going again in the morning!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
I started this thread on the 1st...
we went out this morning and I am already pulling my daughter at 18mph
she loves the faster speed

all is well!

good times!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
Sweet... we're pulling beginners at 15mph.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-08-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
I'm pulling my 8 year old son at 15. Started around 10 mph, and slowly worked up each pull. The faster I brought his speed up to 15, his comfort level came up as well. Dragging him too slow makes his board loose and hard to control.....judge it by watching the board. If they are struggling to make the board track...speed up a few mph. Right now he's crossing wakes and doing FS boardslides.