Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
hey guys, i have seen some pretty nice sound systems on this site that we all have in our boats, my question is how do you keep from people trolling around the bay at night jacking our systems, its not very hard for someone to hear a nice system bumbin around the lake and follow you home to see where you keep your boat and come back later that night and take your stuff, anyone have any solutions to keep robbers out of your boats. im thinking about putting some sort of an alarm system in my boat so if anything gets disconected an alarm and lights go off, is it worth the money. has anyone had a problem with this?
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-07-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
I have an alarm, motion sensors, impact sensors, sensors on every hatch and seat. Once I hear the alarm, the theive will be greeted by myself and my springfield .40 cal. and the rest of the crew. Its pretty easy to find the crook when they are filled with holes.
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
is that a joke or do you really have a fully loaded alarm system in your boat? im being serious, i dont want my stuff getting jacked.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-07-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
I don't have the stereo system that most of the people on this board have, but I have about 2k in it. I often worry about the same thing. We store our boat in a covered three wall storage unit, that could easily be broken into. I guess I just rely on insurance. Actually if it got stolen, I could probably get a better system.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-07-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Boat insurance only covers factory stuff. :-( I don't think there's a really good way to protect stuff in boats except fully enclosed storage.
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-07-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
Here is 1 of my 2 dogs and she is the small one. Bring it on Thieves!Upload
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-07-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
Our boat insurance is included with our estate. It covers about anything.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Trace, my boat insurance covers 2K worth of "stuff"....which for me is just gear as just have the factory system.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Is catching someone breaking into your boat grounds for stranglation? I think if I ever caught someone breaking into my boatsky it would be all over for that person...
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
speaking of beat downs...

This dude got cocked!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1409880384042905541&q=beat+down
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
KState, good stuff. I like that third guy in the darker jacket wandering around looking to sneak in a cheap shot wherever possible. That's what friends are for.

It's always funny when the guy doing all the pushing and shoving ends up getting a serious beat-down. That dude kicked the crap out of him and fended off a couple cheap shot attempts. It's a good lesson though: don't f with people; you never know when you'll run into someone who likes to fight AND is really good at it.

(Message edited by jcv on June 07, 2006)
Old    00wakesetter            06-07-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
OWNED!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-07-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
yep, the dude that won was totally trying to walk away. the bloody dude deserved every bit of it.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-07-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
too old to fight, but I have a friend
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-07-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
Paul,did you say that you have your boat insurance on the same policy as your estate? What happens if someone gets hurt on your boat and you get sued? Would your estate or your estate insurance be in jeopardy?
Old    why_i_work            06-07-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Elle who makes your alarm system, I know viper makes one but was curious if anyone else does.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-07-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
I don't think I'd have a big fancy stereo if I didn't have a safe place to store it
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
then i guess you wont be bumpin.... cuz there is NO safe place for a fancy stereo. there are only ways to ( TRY ) to protect it, and thats what im looking for on this post... i just dont know if its comon to put an alarm system in a boat.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-07-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
think Garage.
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
if someone wants it they will get it.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       06-07-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
I 2nd Jeff's statement. I box and some of the smallest guys that you think you would beat down are the toughest, quickest, and better fighters. You never know. Besides, there is ALWAYS someone quicker, stronger, tougher, etc....

I have found that the people that REALLY know how to fight do all they can to avoid it. That's why that guy probably kept walking away.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-08-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
Well, I got curious and called my agent. I guess the boat is not under the umbrella policy. I just send them one check a year and I guess I assumed it was. I have 5k of coverage for anything stolen out of the boat,and according to him, that includes the system. So if I had boards, skis and gear, I would be out.
Old     (oldcentury76)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-08-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
My boat insurance covers anything ATTACHED to the boat.
Old    rmarion            06-10-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
After I installed tower speakers with custom painted box and amp. WE used it one time, then put her back in storage. Our sound system got jacked out of the boat 2 months later. It cost $1500 to replace speakers, amp and receiver. I did not use my insurance, my deductable is $1k. Now I've hidden the amp behind a fake foot board and remove our tower speaker box before storage.
Next time it gets jacked, I go back to our regular system..........
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
As someone in the Audio/Security industry, I can say that alarm systems are on the rise for marine aplication. As people spend more and more on systems, the dirtbags are starting to figure out that alot of these boats have more audio than cars. I have also seen a rise in people asking and installing G.P.S. with the rising number of boats being stolen off the dock just for their systems.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
How long before the boats become as annoying as car alarms? I'm all for alarms and protecting my stuff, and I know that alot is said for proper installation, but alarms have become a simple pain in the butt.

How many people pay attention to alarms in cars these days? When police get called for alarms, it's more likely for them pissing off neighbors than catching someone in the act.

I'd love to safeguard my stuff, but would like a little better than what I see out there.
Old     (krit)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-12-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Thieves suck.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    debsxstar            06-12-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
I just have factory stuff in my boat but I have a lot of gear in it and I don't like leaving it in a slip over night. i worry about stuff getting stolen. I usually camp and leave boat right next to us on the water. i know alot of people with hotel it and leave their boat sin the hotel parking lots but I'm chicken i guess!! lol
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
A week & 1/2 ago someone stole a boat from Tiki Lagun, a marina on the California Delta. I don't know if the theif hot wired it or if the owner left the keys in it but it was a fairly new Malibu. The thief just untied, hopped in and took off (full throttle through the marina).

I understand that they recovered the boat later that day, minus all the stereo gear.

For many years I never worried about the boat, most of my boats didn't even have a key to lock it. But then, back then I didn't have a boat that just screamed "Look what I got and you don't!" With my current setup I have the boat broken into three times, twice losing all the amps and sub woofer.

Now days I keep an alarm on the boat that has detectors on the major compartments and a motion detector that will go off if someone steps into the boat. The key fob control is also two way paging so if I am within a few hundred yards and someone even sets off the warning chirps of the motion detector the key fob starts beeping at me.

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Rod: do you have url for kits like this?

I'm pretty sure I want to put on an alarm...
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-14-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
No, I bought my alarm system off Ebay