Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old    chriscut            01-08-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
A friend of mine, OG from Tahiti, made a how-to guide on building his winch. His guide has step by step instructions with photos during his construction. He even has a short video of a test pull with their new winch. hopefully this guide can help people who are interested in building a winch of their own.

http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12633

Check it out. Winching is so much fun that I barely want to ride boat or jetski anymore.

(Message edited by chriscut on January 08, 2007)
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-09-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
I think that the RTFM chriscut is mentioning here is the best step by step guide on building a winch I've seen. Not only because Bullet Lines is mentioned as the rope manufacturer:-) , but because I think it is the only step by step guide I've seen. It also includes the complete parts list.

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
www.myspace.com/bulletlines
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-09-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
this came like 3 days late!

I just built a winch last weekend.

a bit different than the guide but works.

I like how they do all the welding and cutting in flip flops and no shirts.

awesome instructional though!
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-09-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
hey thats really nice!!
does it have a centrif. clutch??? i was wondering if thats what people use??? so you can let it run then gas it instead of pull start and your off...

cool video too
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-09-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
winchskating.com has all the info you need to build a winch. I use a centrif clutch and it works great. Here are some pictures of ours.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Its 32 degrees in Wisconsin now so we have to settle on skateboarding for a couple hundred feet instead of wakeboarding, and theres no snow or else we would be snowboarding.
Old    chriscut            01-09-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
You can use a cent. clutch, they are cheap and will work once you learn the CC deep water start technique. However, I'm much happier with a Tav2 Torque-a-verter (thats the most common one) though. Ive rode both and prefer the tav2 way over the CC.

The Hive Winch has an even better setup than a Tav2 based winch, so far they are the only ones who are using it. I've rode behind it, and yes, its awesome :-)

Kento's pirate winch is another design that took a different approach than the rest of the winches out there. Most winches are "go cart" based, his is dirt bike based. I've never rode it so i cant comment on how it rides.
Old     (nekkie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-09-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Yeah that's how we do it, bare chested and bare foot! teaches you to be light on your feet to dodge melted steel drops from the welding... good for skating, makes you pop :-)

I'm glad you guys liked it and I really hope it helps as many of you out... I'll post updated pics soon we are getting it line xed tomorrow morning for sure now :-)

we also tweaked a couple other stuff, I will make a final update when all is done. Should be in 2 days.
Old     (prm)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-11-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
What's the cost to build one?
Old    chriscut            01-11-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
pete: home built prices will depend on what parts you already have, 1000-1300 is a guess. you can get a manufactured winch from 1600-2500. and they even go up to 10k for the hive.
Old     (nekkie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-12-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
Mine is under $1000 in parts, if you buy at the right spots. For example the engine ranges from $350 to up to $500+, big difference.

I just got the frame back from my friend that did the Line X. Here is the frame in all it's glory!

Upload

I also updated the HOWTO with the new engine shield and the finished frame pictures. Final assembly will be in a few days to allow for the Line X to fully cure. Check it out as there will be a few tips on final assembly to fight off salt water, or just water in general :-)
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
what size engines do most people use?
Old     (nekkie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-12-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
Most go for a 6.5hp engine, but I think it is really the low end limit. Going for higher hp will give you a much better deep water start.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-13-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
Nekkie. What song is playing on the video on the "How To" page. It's awesome.
Old     (nekkie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-13-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
The song is Jason Mraz - I'm yours. His other songs are pretty good too!
Yesterday I went to a friend's to get some die cut stickers done
Upload

Here is the frame in all pimped up :-)
Upload

I'll post a pic once everything is back together