Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
K, so I've spent the last 7 days plodding through the classifieds trying to find a good deal on a boat.

I've been riding behind an outboard and have finally decided it's time for me to get my own ride. Looking to spend 20-30K, and I'd happily drive 18h to pick something up (I'm in Toronto)... but, I'm feeling more than a bit overwhelmed with what's out there.

There's an 04 Session 22xi that's local for 30K, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off a little older in the big three... how many hours can I expect to get out of a boat like this? Please help!
Old     (salomon16)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
you can get a great used boat for 30k. What are you looking to use it for? I would go as new and as big as you can afford...if you arent partial to nautiques mastercrafts or malibus you can usually get a better value in a used moomba/supra, sanger, centurion, or tige IMO.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
Hey Samanatha,

this oct 27th up just south of barrie in innisfil outside of the 400 flea market there will be a huge boat auction, you should def check it out, i will be.

there is surveyors on site or you can find one and bring your own.

i check the local boat trader everyweek and there hasnt been many gooddeals lately were much better off heading to the states for one.
Old     (dirtyjerz)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 10:51 PM Reply   
Also if you can wait a little into fall/winter u may find some better deals (private or dealer).
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-09-2007, 11:43 PM Reply   
Samantha, make sure you look in the States. The prices in Canada don't reflect the currency changes we've gone through recently.
Make sure you drive as many boats as you can before you buy. They all feel different. The Session is a bit heavier than some. You'll feel if that's good or bad if you have driven some others also.
As far as hours go my last boat was in I/O with over 3000 so I don't think you have to worry, if it was maintained.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-09-2007, 11:53 PM Reply   
i have seen older nautie 210's for $30-$35k..
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-10-2007, 5:17 AM Reply   
Wow - response here is awesome. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be checking out the Auction - though it seems a little scary to be buying a boat before a water test - my parents bought an inboard at an auction way back... it sunk off the dock the first year out (stringer issues)... but if the price is right, that should account for some repairs, right?

Will also keep up with my obsessive internet searching...lol.

I really only want the boat for wakeboarding. My parents have a 17' outboard that, despite my wake complaints, they're quite happy with. It's time for me to sort out my own issue...so I'm happily looking for an inboard with a decent ballast, perfect pass, and a tower.

I can definitely wait it out for a better deal - are boats seasonal in the southern states as well? I'd happily spend a few nights in a hotel, and a few days driving for the right boat... road trip!

And, in terms of resale (if I make the wrong decision), I've only seen 2-3 Sessions among hundreds of other postings - is that just because they're a new brand?

Thanks again!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-10-2007, 5:28 AM Reply   
You can easily get an 05 Mobius LSV or a 00 - 01 SAN for that price. 2003 Supra SSV would be in there too. MC X9 or early X-star as well. There are a LOT of options at that price.

There is one Sessions boat on my lake but I've never been on it. Looks pretty nice though and i see it out all the time.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2007, 5:32 AM Reply   
Samantha...I am also from toronto and just picked up a 21v supra from the states it is a sweet boat!

I may have a lead for you for a 2002 supra ssv with 190 hours for that price.

The tricky part for getting one in the states is coming across the border.....but it really wasnt that hard if you have the right seller and or both titles to the boat and trailer.

I rode in the session last year and it is a large and deep boat......all I can say is that I love wrap around seating and playpens....the session is more built like a runabout sterndrive but inboard.Typically core boarders arn't interested in the session...it just never really cracked the market ..def. go with the big three.

If you want to talk more or are interested in the ssv email me!

Also there is a 2006 mobius Lsv for sale in Toronto for an american price as you only pay the pst, when you come across the boarder you will pay both taxes even on a used boat but in many cases you will still save a fair bit....plus you have a huge selection of boats that just don't come up for sale here.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on October 10, 2007)

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on October 10, 2007)
Old     (needwake)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-10-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
Chase, is there anymore info on the boat auction you are talking about? What types of boats, inboards? Used/new?
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-10-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
hey sorry i dont have much info on it, im kinda going blindly myself. i know that it starst at 9am.

as for 30-35k, you can spend 40k and get a brand new moomba outback v with 3 years warranty new trailer and all
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-10-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I went to one at innisfil before, they are at the 400 market. seemed very sketchy. Those boats are there for a reason, if a deal is too good to be true, it usually is. there was a lot of junk there.
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-10-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
I had no confidence in bidding on anything
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-10-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
This is a great time to be looking. I saw an '00 Tige V-drive pop up here for $18K. Keep trolling and you will find some deals. After the boat shows, the prices will creep up again.

If you have modest mechanical skills, buy used. If you do not, you may want to stretch it and look at some of the new Moombas and Centurions which can be had a little over $30K.

Some things I think are minimum things that have to be in a wakeboat in that price range are v-drive, EFI motor, tower/racks, some automated balast system, and perfect pass. The latter three can be added aftermarket but each one of will cost you about $1K or higher to add, more if you do not do it yourself.
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-10-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
I've heard about the v-drive, and I'm certainly with you on the ballast, perfect pass, and tower but what is an EFI motor? (Yikes, sorry if that's a dumb question).
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-10-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Electronic Fuel Injection, I might have the electronic wrong, but its a fuel injector. this replaces a carburetor and is more reliable, and doesnt need to be rebuilt every so often.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-10-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
yah ive hear dthe boats at the auction are really hit and miss, you need to have a good trustyworthy surveyor with you to make sure you know what your getting yourself into.

like i know there is a supra comp early 90's sitting out there with no cover and who knows how long it hasnt had a cover on.

you probably now could squeeze the hell out of a moomba sales guy and get between 35-40 no problem. im very tempted myself.

damn why cant i just make up my mind!! new boat or used boat!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/502909.html?1191514127
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-10-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
As for the kinds of boats i saw at the auction, mostly i/o's obviously, but there were a few wake/ski boats, there was a mastercraft 205d, an old junky moomba that went for 3000 i believe, and a decent looking supra, i forget what kind. that was it
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-10-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
buy mine so i can buy a new one
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-10-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
NICE EJ-that's the one..wicked boat- sweet deal and one heck of a road trip!!!!
go for it fearless!!!!
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-10-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
im so stuck between a new v-drive, new outback v or a nice used natique excel or mastercraft prostar
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-10-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
I'm in love! - That's an awesome deal. So much to decide. I'm with you Chase, do I go with older MC, or a new(er) something else.

Gotta give this guy a call though, thanks E.J.!
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-10-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11797

Best deal I've seen. A 2005 Malibu VLX with 17 hours for $35K! A little over budget and quite a drive from Canada though; plus it needs a trailer.

(Message edited by dcwillette on October 10, 2007)
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
Whoa, that's worth a) the drive, and b) a trip to the bank. Hey, I'm sure Texas is nice this time of year.

Thanks Chad!
Sam.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-11-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
.......can only guess what a trailer costs?....5 grand?
Old     (wsdud)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-11-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
I have a 2004 malibu wakesetter xti 21' that i might sell. it has a titan chrome tower with board racks, perfect pass, monsoon engine, cd player with 6 speakers, heated drivers seat, flip bolster seat, trailer , cover 230 hours and in great shape. i can send you photos if you want. i am 3 hours west of detroit. i would sell for 32,000.00 u.s.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-11-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I have a 2005 Centurion Elite V that I'm thinking about selling. Its a V-Drive, has 3 tank ballast, perfect pass, led lights, bimini, 4 tower speakers and a sub, and even a heater for those cold canadian mornings. Its got 114 hours on it and I was thinking about listing it for 33K. It also has a dual axle trailer, and I have the titles to both (boat and trailer) I'm in Chicago. Let me know if you might be interested.
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
K - so it looks like (typically) I've been mentally sold on stretching my budget - will find out this week if that will work in reality...

Tim, I'd love to see some pics, email is on my profile. Are you planning on getting something else?
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Hey Dan,

As per my last post - will find out this week how the budget's going to work as I wasn't planning to spend over 30K. Do you have any pics you could send?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-11-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Best of Luck in finding the right "GEM"

Going state side for a deal is the best bet... Search onlyinboards.com and boattraderonline.com for listings...

Anything in the midwest and eastern states is fair game.. just watch for brackish or salt water use...

Like always ask lots of questions!

Try to find some locals (GTA, Muskoka) and drive some potential boats...
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-11-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
Samantha,
I sent you an email with the title "boat." Let me know if you have any questions.

Dan
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
Thanks guys - really appreciate all the help/advice. I'll keep you posted!
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-27-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Okay - today's the day! Just bought an '02 Tige 22I Rider's Edition from California - Can't tell you how excited I am - and grateful for all of your advice/help.

Check it out!
Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-27-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Very Nice!! SJ You made a great choice. You should enjoy that for many years.
Will you towing it up to Canada?
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-27-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Chris,

The dealer's shipping to Michigan (just before the border) - Thankfully - I've never towed a boat before, so my best friend will be doing the driving. Ah, jokes.

Now I've got about two weeks to figure out where I'm storing it for the winter ;)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-27-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
....congrats...nice looking boat.....wow you didn't mess around...very impressive!.....some more details on the boat?
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-27-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Congrats- she looks super clean!

Another CND to add to the great group over at tigerowners.com

see you there.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
is that a Samson Sports tower on there? Boat is SHARP!!! congrats!
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-27-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
Thanks - It's a 2002 Tige 22I Rider's Edition, Collapsible Tower with Taps System, Hippo Potamus 3 Ballast System (not - dealership installing a new one). I'm not sure about the stereo, but I just took a nice one out of my truck that I think I'll use components of - not sure where the tower's from, but you're right it does look like Samson sports.

Now, I've got all winter to think about tint/no tint and some graphics. Fox perhaps?
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-27-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
nice ride. where you keepin that boat? says on your profile your from barrie? would be nice to see more wakeboats in kempenfelt bay
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-27-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
I think you will LOVE that boat. Great color combo, looks super clean.

I have an '05 22i, an absolutely fantastic Boat. Very versatile, tons of room, great handling, throws an excellent wake, reliable and gives a great ride, even in rough chop!!

Congratulations!!!!

It's going to be the longest winter of your life..

Sean
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2007, 12:07 AM Reply   
Indeed about the long winter. Not sure yet where it'll be - likely wherever I am which will include kempenfelt, six mile lake, assorted friend's cottages, and some sketch T.O action during the week (wetsuit, noseplugs, earplugs, ok)
Old     (big_matt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-28-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
SJ,

Check out www.discountboatstorage.com.

Just South of Webers!
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
Thanks! - I've been hunting around for a good deal on storage, this looks great.
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
PS.

If you recognize the boat and see me out next year - c'mon over - I'll definitely be in need of a few pointers - I've never driven an inboard before - family's had an outboard since '94 - before that an I/0. Should be interesting.

Any ideas on where I can get some of those really big bumpers?
Old     (big_matt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-28-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
Just remember it won't steer well in reverse and you will be fine.

Big bumpers, Bass Pro.
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-28-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
doesnt take long to get used to. most inboards pull to the right in reverse, and you cant stear them in reverse. direct drive boats handle like a porsche, youll enjoy driving that. What your lookin for is bumper balls. ummmm, maybe sandy cove marina actually. if not, i got mine at pride marine group where i bought my boat. shouldnt be hard to find them. ill def give ya some pointers if i see ya out
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-28-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
Looks like a Phat Budde tower.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-28-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
Nice buy!! Your going to love it!!

As for storage discount is alright.. line up on the weekend with boats going there.

Make sure you get it professionally winterized,esp the ballast system.

Take it to a Tige dealer or even a Mastercraft shop.. hate to say it.

I am paying $720 for winterization and storage at Buckeye Marine. They even came to pick the boat up at my Cottage.

Your going to love the feeling of driving an inboard!

If your ever around Sparrow Lake/Severn River drop by!
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-29-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
If you have any technical know how, or know someone with it, winterize it yourself. If that place is lined up with boats out the door, whose to say they are going to take the time to winterize your boat properly? and its doubtful they would have time now to get it done before it freezes. It's actually not that difficult to drain the block and transmission box, and winterizing the ballast took me about an hour this year. get yourself lots of marine/rv antifreeze, save yourself a few hundred bucks, and go to town.
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
Hm. Me, technical know how - we'll say I'm starting at zero. I know how to install speakers (basic basic basic), but I blew the amp in my last truck trying some DIY. - apparently it's a big deal to get the +/- right the first time. . I'll stick to the small stuff for now I think. Less expensive mistakes.

The good news is the dealership in California is winterizing before shipment - so I really just need a place to land for the winter. Discount seems like a good idea at this point, I just hope they're not full by the time my new baby's delivered. Another two weeks I think.

Just sent my Christmas list out to my family - let's see, lots of lifejackets, ropes, bumpers, towels, safety kit, fire extinguisher, a stool (save the seats!!), hm... am I forgetting anything?
Old     (asemaster)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
You will love your TIGE' they are great boats. Get on www.tigeowners.com and put this announcement up. You will find a wealth of knowledge on there about your boat. Everyone over there is willing to help and very courteous. They love to see new boat owners over there
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-30-2007, 4:27 AM Reply   
SJ: what lake do you normally ride on? Do you have a cottage or just go up every weekend to different places?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-30-2007, 5:06 AM Reply   
.......I say get ready SJ...because you just bought yourself a man magnet!!!
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-30-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Lol - Michael, that'd be nice - especially if I can get some free lessons out of it.

Matt, my family cottage is on Six Mile, but since I'm in downtown Toronto m-f, thinking I'll dock and brave Lake Ontario somewhere relatively less-gross during the week after work, and then weekends I can take the boat to the cottage, Kempenfelt (hometown), or friend's places Muskoka/Kawarthas. The plan is that the boat will go where I go for the summer. Thinking maybe those 0.10 off gas cards will make sense this year.
Old     (big_matt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-30-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
SJ - Christmas, gas gift certificates! LOL

I just took my boat up to DBS and they still had space. If you are serious about it they will take a deposit.

Per Greg above, yeah the place is busy. 200+ boats, I talked to a few people that have stored there for a few years, good references. That being said, I also agree that they might not be my first choice winterizer.

K'felt is good with our normal prevailing winds, hopefully the water intake construction stuff is gone next summer.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-01-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
SJ. How much was the delivery for the boat. I live in Alberta and may have to start looking for another boat. Did you have any problems with the titles and customs?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-01-2007, 10:03 PM Reply   
Take a look here http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/templatesites/dts/dealerlibraries/2513/storage_rates_0708.pdf

Buckeye Marine stores about 800 boat every winter... take the boat there, shrink wrap and pick up in the early spring!

PS--> Christmas ask for a full 3mm wetsuit.. you'll be boarding in late April and in late October!!
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-04-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Hey,

Delivery is $2500 from California to Pt. Huron (just before the border). There's probably a better deal to be had, but this was through the dealer I bought from, and includes insurance (different if being towed/going in a truck).

Haven't taken delivery yet, so I'll have to update you on how it goes through customs, but I'll have the bill of sale, copies of payment info, title for boat/trailer, etc. A few friends have done this and tell me that as long as your paperwork is in order, it's some legwork, but nothing complicated. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Greg - have a 543 mm suit that I got for a scuba course this spring - Tobermory in Oct. was a little cold - comes in handy sometimes for boarding, but most of the time I have too much pride to use it. Much rather a hot shower after. But thanks for the heads up on the storage - just have to pick up some of those mildew thingys... I'd die if there was mold in the spring. Think they'd carry them at home depot?

PS - in a completely irrational move on Friday, I picked up the 07 Ronix One board... talk about senseless - my board is perfect. But I drooled over it all summer - it was everywhere, wakestock, nationals, my dreams... (and it was less than 1/2 price on ebay, one only, in my size.. fate? I think so!) Yeah, you can judge me for that... ah well, plan is that whichever board I like more will be my primary, the other one I'm going to mount on my wall - can't think of a nicer piece for over my couch.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-05-2007, 5:03 AM Reply   
That's a Phat Budde Tower. Good choice on the Inboard. In my opinion the I's make better wakes than the V's. Congrats!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-05-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
congrats on the tige. Sick boat.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-05-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
You can get those mould "thingies" from West Marine in Toronto or Barrie, about $15-19... comes in nice plastic cup.. next year you'll only need the refills which are about $10...