Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-19-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
I searched a couple times but could not find what I was looking for. A friend asked me about what it takes to build your own lake, and I told him to check here since there have been a couple threads in the past with a ton of info.

If someone can point me out the links to those threads, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (illkid)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-19-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Here's a couple old links I have -

http://www.utoronto.ca/ski/water/faq/stmanmade.html

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=4710
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-19-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
It takes $, that's pretty much it
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-19-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
its going to be different from place to place. some counties/states/towns require permits and and hold city coucil meetings and so on. basically a politcal nightmare. other areas require nothing and you just dig. here in california there are many lakes and experienced excavators who know how to dig them properly. so really all it takes like riley said is $$$$.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-19-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/638101.html

contact Karl. Rod has some more insight I am sure that can be shared as well.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-19-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
Check out www.ski-lake.com. Eric has built quite a few lakes in NorCal. He may be able to give you some insight.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-19-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
Go to the search option, put in "build lake", make sure it is searching for both terms, and several threads come back.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-20-2009, 4:22 AM Reply   
I could help also, built Stillwater Lakes in Florida. Feel free to contact me!
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-20-2009, 4:51 AM Reply   
An excavator, alot of clay and a water source!
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-20-2009, 9:57 PM Reply   
Yo Buzz, I posted it on the other forum... Lots and lots of info on the web.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-21-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Best advice:

Talk to a bunch of us who have completed a project. Get a very experienced engineer, environmental consultant, and permits manager. Have a 50% cushion in your budget for delays and overages. Anybody with a vendetta can stop your project with a whine to the appropriate authority. Build good-will with the authorities and neighbors - you will need it.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-21-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the great info everyone. I was hoping to find the threads on WW in the past that related to this, but have had no luck. I will pass on this info as well.

Thanks again.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-21-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
On top of all of that you will need to find a place to take all the dirt you plan on getting rid of. So you will need dump trucks or better yet trains (dump trucks that have 2 dump trailers). Excavators are nice but if you start to fill up with water you can dredge the lake or even use a kind of bucket system that is hooked up to a cable(can't think of the proper terminology). I work at a gravel pit and we're building a huge lake that is an average of 60 ft. Deep. Clay is not want you to be digging . . . It's nasty and tough to dig through.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       05-21-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
You use the clay to line your lake! It acts like a seal, and yes I've built plenty of them!