Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I need peoples opinion. My wife and I have found this steal of a home. The only problem is the side yard parking is 10 feet wide. The boat is an 04 SAN. Do you think I will be able to back it up into such a tight place. Right now I back the boat up into an 11 foot wide garage but it is a straight shot. Here is a picture of the home.
Thanks
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
PictureUpload
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-27-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
oh man that looks like a tuff one but i think you should be able to make it... i would ask the realitor if you can give it a try before you make any offers..
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-27-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
no problem
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
Actually we already made an offer but we can always pull it off the table. I was thinking the same thing. Take the boat there and see how much of a pain it is to back up. If it was a straigth shot it would be no problem.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
One other question. Do you think it would be easier to maneuver the boat if I have a hitch on the front of the tow vehicle?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-27-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
RodE I'd park the car on that side and leave the boat in the garage. That's going to be a real pita to do everytime you take the boat out. The real issue will be making sure you don't turn to sharp when pulling the boat out of that spot on the side. Why do you have to tuck the boat back there? Why not just leave it on the cement pad infront of it?
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Nu Bu,
Im affraid the boat wont fit in the garage. The garage is only 18 feet deep so it wont fit sideways either. I want to put it on the side of the home because I dont like leaving my boat out in the open. I have always stored it in a garage or on the side of our past homes. The other problem is I dont think the neighbors would like seeing it on the cement pad. It is in a uppty area of town and from just talking to the neighbors in the area when I said boat they rolled their eyes. I know I shouldnt care what they think but Id hate to spend the money and have neighbors always in my business.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-27-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
Looks like an accident waiting to happen to me. If your parking there in the winter only, I'd say it should be OK. But if you have to do it everytime you bring it home, I bet you'd hit the house or fence at some point.
Any way to make a parking space somewhere else? Access from the back side of the yard?

It's a buyer's market these days. Good deals are a dime a dozen. Don't be afraid to keep looking.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 27, 2008)
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Bill,
Im starting to see that too. There is no other way to access the property.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-27-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Rod, i put my '07 Moomba LSV in the same size space without problems at all. At first it'll take some time but after awhile it's a breeze. The wife and i tag team it by using cheap two way radios and she guides me right in. Takes us about 5 minutes start to finish, including opening the space, backing in or out and closing back up.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-27-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
From a guy with a really difficult setup (and ninja backing skills) -- the first 3 times are going to SUCK. After that.... you'll be on autopilot. You could also try and find a cheap 4-wheeler or garden tractor to give yourself more maneuverability.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-27-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
I pull our boat through a 10 ft gate and it is tough to get it through at night. I have backed it through the gate without a problem but its a straight shot. Once you throw that curve in there it is going to be really a tight fit! I don't have ninja backing skills though...lol!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Dude, if it's that good of a deal make it work sure it's gonna be a little tougher but where there is a will there is a way.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Ed,
I dont have the ninja backing skills as well so im really starting to think I wont be able to do it. Before I cancel our offer I really need to get by there with the boat and see how hard it will be..
Thanks for all the help.
Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-27-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Could you use a hand winch at a guide rail system? Just unhitch the boat use a winch to pull it back into it spot. (Just Brain storming)
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       10-27-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
Is that 10 feet from the edge of the roof line or the edge of the house. If it's the edge of the house, it's going to be extremely tight. If it's qo feet from the edge of the roof, line, I don't think it's a show stopper. As you mentioned, try backing the boat in before you buy. The two way radios that Razzman mentioned might save the marriage too! ;)

JT
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       10-27-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
I agree w/ Razzman, take your time the first couple times, you will be a pro at it fairly quickly. From the pic it looks like you have plenty of room. just make sure you pull straight out at first, then cut when your axle clears.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-27-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
I don't get it, if it is ten feet, it fits. Your trailer is 102 or less, that leaves a minimum of 9 inches on each side. With a little practice and guidance from your wife, you will have it down pat. The garage doors at our old dealership were 9 feet, and never had a problem and we pulled boats in and out 5-10 times a day with a suburban.
Old     (deltaboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-27-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
It looks like you could almost build another fence that runs from the corner of the garage out 25 or so feet and put a gate in, sure you will lose driveway space but it would be a lot easier on you. Couple grand for a fence or a couple grand for fiberglass/ gelcoat repair with a chance of it happening again.
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-27-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
I do it with only 3 inches on each side. After the 5th time backing it in it is easy.

Upload
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
JT,
It is 10' from the edge of the house.
Yeah well just heard from the agent and there are other offers as well. Hey if this one doesnt work out there is always another.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Alan,
The biggest problem is the angle of the curve. If it was a straight shot no problem.
Damm Jason, that is really tight. You must have ninja skills.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-27-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
I know what the issue is. I am just saying that it is not an issue, it is not difficult to back a boat around a corner like that. Like Newty said, cut it when the rear axle gets on line with the edge of the house, it will pivot for him.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-27-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
one problem you will have is that it will be difficult to pull the boat back out without repositioning the truck. The trailer will not follow the same path it did going in.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
I agree Alan but im probally not great at backing up a trailer as most.
I was also looking into the powercaster to back the boat in. It seems you would have more control with this and it isnt nearly as big as my tahoe. Only proble is its another $895 I didnt want to spend.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-27-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
is that sidewalk halfway up the driveway part of the property or public access?
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
Salty,
That is part of the property. It actually isnt a side walk. It is a walkway for where they stored the garbage cans.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-27-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
If its that sweet of a deal maybe try one of those powered dollies?? Or I have seen a large lawn mower move boats as well I would just put a lot of weight to counter balance it or the idea of a hitch on the front of the truck might work.

http://www.powermoverinc.net/

Maybe something like that. See if anyone has used one of these?
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-27-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
Put a mark on the driveway as to where you should start the turn. Also a ATV with a hitch should do the trick.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-27-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
i use the power mover at my new house and it works great. i can get my boat in or out very quickly.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Big E,
That is great advice about the mark.
The wife definately wont let me get an ATV so I will have to probally go with tampawake's advice about a power mover. I looked into used ones and they run from 300 to 400. Actually it was the powercaster not the power mover.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I use a $49 12v wench from Harbor Freight and it works perfectly.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-27-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
why not extend a fence and basically enclose part of your driveway. Might have to look at the codes for this one though.
Old    walt            10-27-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
It doesn't look that tough to me. Why don't you pull your boat over there and try it ?
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
WCW,
Im going to do that tonight after work. Al I thought about that as well so im going to see what the codes are. Im sure the uppity neighbors would love that.
Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate it.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-27-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
That shouldn't be too difficult.

See the line in the concrete? Use that as a guide and you should be just fine. Mount a flood-light on the corner of the house, aim it down the line... follow the line and you should be good to go.

I have a tough backing job too... those gaps in the concrete can be very helpful for getting the trailer lined-up.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-27-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
I have a single axle trailer for my Moomba Outback and the width of my drive is like 9' 3" at the gate, which also has a slight angle to get to the garage. I've never had a problem getting it back, just gotta take it slow. That angle looks almost exaclty like what I've got.
Old    mendo247            10-27-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
I really dont see a problem, I bet it will be a piece of cake.
Old     (formulad97)      Join Date: May 2007       10-27-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
after a few times , you should be good to go
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-27-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Rod, I'd say go for it. I have one that is even worse. It took some practice, but I can get in and out pretty easily now. Of course, I did clip the far fence with the guide posts on the trailer a few times.

This isn't the greatest picture, but its all i can find right now. The driveway comes in from the street at an angle and goes fairly steep downhill diagonally across my property. Then I have to make a 90 degree turn to get the boat through the gate and under the covered parking area. The gate gives me about 6-8 inches of clearance on each side. In the picture, you can just see the overhang beyond the left side of my garage.

Upload
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-27-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
It shouldn't be too hard if you go slow and stay as wide as you can. It is easier to go further into a curve than further out of one. We've got a similar situation out in front of our place between the house and a tree that is possibly even tighter (especially since backing into the driveway you have to curve the opposite way, and our tower doesn't fold down either) the boat doesn't go in there much, but we can back it in no worries. Wheel base might play a part, since we don't have too many big pick ups over here... we tow with a Terrano.

I'd agree with the others saying the first few times might be difficult, but after that you should be sorted.

Remember if you get into trouble you can always unhitch the boat, swing the bow around and try again with your truck in a better position.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-28-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
You know what is great about this thread that we will do what it takes for our boats!!! Lines on concrete, winches, flood lights two way radios freaking great.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-28-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
What is great about this site is everyone is helpful. I wish our entire society was like this.

Lou wow that looks like a really tough one.
Well I didnt get by last night, bossman had me working late so ill try tonight.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-28-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Good luck man. I think you will either hit the fence turning out or hit the eves with your tower. Seems pretty tight. If your careful it might work though. I have 13.5 feet on my side yard and its not bad at all. Not much room for error with only ten feet. Hey just looked at your profile...recognized the dam right away!!! Whats your price range? They are blowing out houses right now man. My neighborhood has tons for sale brand new...you dont want to regret a home purchase especially since it will be a while before it makes any money in Fresno.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-28-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
tampawake (tampawake) on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - You know what is great about this thread that we will do what it takes for our boats!!! Lines on concrete, winches, flood lights two way radios freaking great.

Man, thats the truth. When we were looking for a house, my biggest priority was a 3 car garage or a 2 car with an RV spot on the side. We found a house that had the 2 car garage & the RV spot, but the previous owner had a funky little garden area in the corner of the driveway that made it a bit tougher to get lined up. I spent like $900 paving that damn thing over (after I ran the sprinklers over a couple times) so I could get the boat in & out easily. It's narrow (maybe 3" or 4" on either side) but I have a pretty straight shot at it now.
In hindsight I should have held out for a shop!

Good luck Rod. Be sure & get what you want rather than settling for what you can find.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Lou that looks much easier than what he's going to have to deal with you have way more room to maneuver.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
EASY.

Yes, you could easily IF you put a front tow hitch on your truck.

I have an even worst angle (that included a cable box on one side that I must go around) and push mine in in one shot. My neighbor has to go around a light pole and turn back 60 degrees to get his boat (a 24' cuddy cabin) in his yard - he also has a front tow hitch.

With the front tow hitch, you can push the boat/trailer easily. It goes exactly where you want it to go and you see exactly where you're going!!!

If you have a GM/Ford/Dodge truck, the front tow hitch can be bought and self-installed for as little as $150. If you have a Nissan or Toyota, you'd have to go custom and it costs anywhere from $500 - $1000 for a custom job.

Check the roof overhang as that sticks out in the picture that can be in the way of the tower or the rack.

10' width is doable but also depends on how wide the boat/trrailer is. Max width w/o permit is 8.5', as most trailerable boats are. If yours is 8' wide or less, that would give you a little extra room.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Here's a picture of my truck with the front tow hitch, it will make your life a whole lot easier, moving the boat in and out.

Upload
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-28-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Sean,
Yep we live in the same town. Price range is 200k to 300k but were looking for a certain area. 93711,93720,93730 zips. Sean did you buy your boat from Ron. He is a great guy. I had an avy but sold it because it seemed like it was a lemon. I had major prroblems with it. Mainly the fuel management system.
Bill, I agree but it seems like every home we look at is either trashed (foreclosure) or we dont like.
Kvoman, I have a tahoe so it wouldnt be too expensive to get a front hitch. As for the tower I fold it down everytime I store it. I have to do it now (goes in a garage) so im not worried about the roof height. Trailer is 8'5" so im at max width.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
Rode...extremly easy solution man, and I'm sorry if no body has pointed it out yet (didn't read through the whole thread), just buy a Power Caster:
http://www.powercaster.com/
Good luck man.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-28-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
I have been reading up on the powercaster and power mover. From what I have read it seems like it isnt too easy to maneuver a tandem axel with them (ie turning the trailor). Anyone have experience with either of these.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
RodE - My neighbor also has a Tahoe ('05) and it took all but 15 minutes to mount his front tow hitch!!! All the holes are already there in the frame and the hitch comes with all the botls you'd need. You'd need to get blue loctite for the bolts.

If your tower can be fold down, then you're good even if the roof is in the way.

You're right about moving a tandem axle, it's not easy, especially in a turn. Put a front hitch on your truck and let it do the work.

I move the boat all by myself (push it in and pull it out my side yard). It takes more time for me to open the gates, move all the trash bins out, and connect the boat to the truck than actually moving it in/out.

(Message edited by kvoman on October 28, 2008)
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-28-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Nope, I picked it up when I was living in Huntington Beach. But since I moved to Fresno I have made friends with Ron. He has a nice new shop. I have had him do a few maintenance things. I live in 93727 zip...Fowler/Armstrong. But Rod I work in the home industry and let me tell you man if thats your price range dont settle for anything less than what you exactly want. Folks will bend over backwards to sell houses right now. Especially if you can pick up a spec home from a builder trying to close out a neighborhood. My neighborhood is in that situation right now and Im sure you could get a brand new house set up like you need for less than 300 easy, no problem. Anyway that being said if you do choose to go new keep me in mind. If you get a Centex home we can split the referal bonus ($3000.00) if you remember to put my name down. You planning on ridding this winter? Im getting a dry suit and gonna keep going until nobody else will go with me.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-28-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
I would make sure that you look into your CC&R's (covenants, conditions & restrictions) on the lot to make sure that you can legally park that boat outside. You mentioned it was a nice neighborhood, almost all of them have issues with vehicles parked outside.

Just double check to make sure you can park there without any trouble before closing the deal.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-28-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
Sean,
I will definately keep you in mind. No not doing any winter riding. The season wore me out, seems like we went every weekend durring the summer. Mabye next summer we can get a bunch of people and get together at the lake.
This home is at herndon and west, north of herndon. Price is 220 for 2000 sq ft pluse a pool. Its a steal.
Phatboy,
I saw someone had a nice RV parked in the side yard of their home three doors down. I dont think the CC&R's would be a problem since you wont even see the boat. Thanks for thinking about that though.
kvoman, I was looking online and yaeh they are about $150. I might look into it even if we dont get this home.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-28-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
I have a similar set up except I do not have the straight section that you have along the fence. My drive curves all the way to the gate.

The problem I have is once I fit the boat through the gate, and I try to straighten the boat out, my truck ends up off the drive running over our landscaping. (Eventually I get pissed and just run everything over) The boat will not be the problem the truck will be. I mainly keep mine in the garage otherwise I would change something.

With my old boat, I used to push it in the gate the last 5 feet or so. I now have a SAN and I can't budge it.

I agree with everyone, if that's where you plan to keep it most of the time, give it a try.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-28-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
A trailer hitch on the front is the way to go in a tight spot. I had one and I could snake a 23' boat in all sorts of unfamiliar spots. Easy, easy, easy. Like using a forklift. Greatest thing since the front opening bra...
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-28-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Good call roomservice...sure wish they would come out with a velcro version...ha ha!!! Or just get rid of them all together. Anyway Rod I think it would be a great idea to see how many folks from our parts would meet up at the lake through this forum. Guess we will see in about six months or so. Good luck with your purchase. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Offer rediculously low and work up from there...my 2 cents, worked for me.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-28-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
One thing that helps me back into my shop is I painted guide stripes in the cement. That way it goes in perfect every time. All I have to do is watch the drivers side trailer wheels and the rest is easy............
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-31-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
Just wanted to update you on the side yard access. Well I finally got the boat over there and it was no problem at all backing it up. Alan you were 100% right. It was easy. Granted I had my brother guiding me back but I backed it up all the way to the gate. Im going to kvomans idea and get a front hitch on the tahoe and it will be a breeze.
O yeah forgot the best news our offer was accepted by the bank. Now just got to get all the inspections done and it will be all ours. Now the fun part comes claening it up and making it our home.
Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and suggestions.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-31-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
Congratulations!! Glad to hear it worked out.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-23-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Final update,
We are finally taking posession of the home tomorrow. I say finally because this has been a real pita. My advice to anyone who is buying a foreclosed home is to not expect the banks to move too fast. We ran into a lot of problems with the bank from them not wanting to pay closing costs written into the contract they accpeted to actuall relisting the home even though they accepted our offer at a lower price. Its been crazy but tomorrow we pick up the keys.
Ill post pictures up of the side yard as soon as I get it cleaned up new fence at a cover built.