Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2011, 9:52 PM Reply   
Exactly and they never advertise that they own all of those companies. People love to support the "independents" but don't realize they are actually owned by someone else.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-23-2011, 11:19 PM Reply   
most companies wont advertise..... however burton does and wont hide the fact they bought forum, foursquare and special blend in troubled times.

i respect jake and donna a ton. they have never sold 1 cent of thier company. rider owned to the max. any one that hates just wishes they has a business model as large and strong and the burton empire.

i have said it here before... but the wake industry is a joke. i see company co's and staff walking all the skate and snow tradeshows looking for ideas to rip off, graphics to steal. riders make nothing... this ship is so crooked and being steered to hell.

its nice to see company, humnoid, etc trying to gain market share... but they are a threat to larger brands. they are to kent sports what stepchild, capita, union, etc are to k2, ride, solomon, etc in the snow industry. a mega threat. the potential death of these large (ski) brands.

you the consumer can make the change..... buy a small brand. support them buy as much as you can. tell your friend why you support them and encourage them to spend the same....... these companies will begin to flourish, run ads, hire riders, and compete with the blood/life sucking corporations. riders will feel safe to leave the **** house of kent sports and stop being raped of their talents and careers.

the messed up thing is that kent sports/ lf fails to realize that these companies will always be industry drivers and keep wake moving and fresh. the mega corps can then sell their **** packages and lame rip off ideas to every guy and his dog and still make a fortune via volume.

i like to read this **** for a laugh... in truth i think the wake industry and image is a joke. i hate to see bad things happen to really good people like justin stephens, his family and staff. karmas a bitch kent sports........ i hope she's one ugly ass bitch.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-24-2011, 12:21 PM Reply   
I know if I spent huge $ to design and patent a product I would want to enforce the patent. Not to say that Company or Ronix is in clear violation, that will be decided in court, but LF thinks so. So many of you guys are taking this so personally withall the crazy theories. Its called "BUSINESS"
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-24-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernatural View Post
spent huge $ to design and patent a product
Huge money was spent to patent I sure but not for design. Or somebody see boots innovation in this patent? In this case HL have to grab patent for their new system.
Who will happy from LF patent : Tony only or customers?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-24-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
I am tired of hearing all the talk, "It's BUSINESS". It's not business to try to deflate a company by tying them up in court, which costs bookoo dollars. It's plain wrong. Justin posted that he simply wanted Tony to explain to him how the bindings are in violation of the patent and to work something out without going to court. Smaller companies CANNOT survive a long, drawn-out lawsuit, plain and simple. It's shady as hell. There is no crazy theory to it.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-24-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
If I understand your ?. Yeah Tony and the other owners who invested the $ will benefit from the patent being upheld. You are saying that if you owned a company and designed a product and secured a patent for it, after shelling out the serious $ to do so, that you would let anyone copy your product. That is just stupid Business. If LF would have that mentality they would no longer be around. They dont spend the millions of $ each year to make wakeboards and gear for fun.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-24-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
Obviously Tony could not explain to Justins satisfaction that is was in violation. Mabey the court system will or mabey they wont, time will tell.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-24-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
I am tired of hearing all the talk, "It's BUSINESS". It's not business to try to deflate a company by tying them up in court, which costs bookoo dollars.
Yeah actually that is an unfortunate part of business
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-24-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
is it ok for me to make copies of company boards in my garage and sell them as my own??
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-24-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
Looks like in the court of public opinion on wakeworld you could copy any design even if patented, but only if you are the "smaller" company.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-24-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
This reminds me of the legal tactic Correct Craft used years ago. They patented "any device that heightened the attachement point of a rope for the purpose of increased wake jumps", or something along those lines.

This basically forced all companies that made towers, poles or whatever to pay royalties to Correct Craft.

Kinda sneaky, but they put a ton of money into the legal pursuit of that patent, and im sure it is paying off big time for them. Could be a similar story here.
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-24-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
Half the problem with this thread is the people who have the equipment from either side of the argument are blindly supporting that company......Yeah I have a Ronix setup but how little has Ronix come up? very little. Yeah they're being sued but frankly it will hardly stop or slow them down IMO ,so my position isn't really bias.....
Inventing and patenting a higher tow point(tower) when it was a new idea is totally different than comparing this "nike to addidas patent crap" they're both shoes! You attach a sole to an insole to an upper and you put it on your foot. I'm still convinced this is a "what you can accomplish in court via legal BS" and not really a matter of right or wrong.

.........and honestly how many ways can you really re-invent the wheel with a board and a boot? This **** is retarded!

Last edited by iRIDEWAKES; 03-24-2011 at 4:00 PM.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-24-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
Although my instincts tell me to stay the hell out of this thread, I just have to speak up. I'm not speaking up in support of either company since I am neither a patent attorney nor do I have specific knowledge of all the details of this case. Rather, I'm speaking up to voice my disappointment in the number of people that assume they know all the facts of the situation and are perfectly capable of drawing a rock solid conclusion from what they read on this guy's Facebook page or on that other guy's website. Further, they have no qualms about going on a discussion board and disparaging or supporting a company based on their "Internet facts" and/or encouraging people to stop buying product from Company A or to only buy product from Company B. The most ironic part is that these people are also blaming certain companies and/or individuals for "damaging" the industry when, in fact, they are severely damaging the industry by drawing their conclusions based on little or no hard evidence and pretending to be backyard attorneys.

I'm all for a discussion on this or any other topic and I realize that the number of people posting on this thread is just a small percentage of the number of people that are active and productive members of this community, but to say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I can't tell you how many times I've proudly stood up for this community despite a controversial thread that may have ruffled a few industry feathers, but it's a lot tougher to do so in this situation.

I guess my message is really just to say that people need to think things out a little more before they post. To say "all you have to do it look at their binding to see that they didn't violate the patent" is just ignorant. To say that a company is good because it is small or that a company is bad because it is big is even dumber than the first statement (if that's possible). The irony of that slice of genius is that it wasn't too many years ago that Liquid Force was the underdog rider owned company, but I guess once you pass a certain point of success, you get reclassified as a "corporate" company and are labeled the enemy. I could pick apart many more of the posts on this thread, but I think you get the point.

Please post responsibly cuz many of you are making this community look bad when, in fact, this community really kicks ass!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-24-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
"is it ok for me to make copies of company boards in my garage and sell them as my own??"

Show me a Ronix boot that is an obvious copy of a LF boot. You're being immature about this whole thing. You act as though LF is suing because Co. or Ronix copied their design, when the lawsuit concerns how the bindings are assembled.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-24-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
the patent protects the one piece base/bottom DESIGN and how that specific base/bottom DESIGN is attached to the upper (glue, stitching, etc.)...these are facts...
Old    mojo            03-24-2011, 5:59 PM Reply   
I quit buying hyp when I found out about the whole Kent thing. Had for like 10 years new gear every year. I just didn't like kents politics with Paul and herb and so regardless of the law suit I would still prefer supporting "singly owned" and mostly made USA brands. If their product sucked I'd not say that. It goes for any industry really. Also, freedom of information and good business or bad business. You decide Dave. I can somewhat agree with what you said, but not really because of your advertisers.

Last edited by mojo; 03-24-2011 at 6:05 PM.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-24-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Looks like they're going to have to rebrand themselves to "Lawsuit Force"!

I know that was a really, really bad joke. But this thread is getting way too heavy!
Old     (apf)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-24-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
I am tired of hearing all the talk, "It's BUSINESS". It's not business to try to deflate a company by tying them up in court, which costs bookoo dollars. It's plain wrong. Smaller companies CANNOT survive a long, drawn-out lawsuit, plain and simple. It's shady as hell. There is no crazy theory to it.
which works out perfect for liquid force in this case, company gets tied up in all the legal fees, a long drawn out court process..and just as everything seems to be darkest, liquid force than comes along with a nice sized check to buy out company and add it to their umbrella...its not the nice thing to do, its just business
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-24-2011, 8:24 PM Reply   
I don't really understand whats going on with this lawsuit if somebody could help me. I have owned both sides of the gear for a while and LF in recent years has had super heavy bindings that fall apart in a season. They seem cheaply made and last years got a little lighter with air bags that popped and filled with water. LF hasn't stuck with a chassis or system for more than a season in a while. Ronix 09 came out with their so called baseless system that were super low to the board super light and comfy. Now it appears this year LF bindings are nearly identical to the ronix baseless design so what I don't understand is how LF is suing ronix and even company who has bindings that don't resemble either of the two. I do remember when company first came about all the shots with the riders would be rocking ronix boots before company bindings existed. And the orig company bindings were direct slingshot knockoffs?? So basically I don't understand how LF has a case unless they had a baseless design they just hadn't implemented into production.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-24-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
So what I'm trying to figure out is if herb obrien started all of these companies such as lf, hl/Ho, cwb/connely, and obrien?? That is what it sounds like to me but I could be wrong. However, I do know he started up ronix/radar back when chad, parks, and Danny left hyperlite. This all just seems confusing why ronix is being sued as well.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-25-2011, 12:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernatural View Post
Tony and the other owners who invested the $ will benefit from the patent being upheld. You are saying that if you owned a company and designed a product and secured a patent for
I sure that this product was not designed in full understanding of this. They are good designers of their patent. In fact this metod of assy of boots you can see where and there. Yes it's business but people understand quality of this "business"
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-25-2011, 12:07 AM Reply   
The number one thing that frustrates me is the apparent selectiveness of applying this patent and taking it to other companies.

*Ronix and Company - Lawsuit
*Slingshot, Hyperlite, CWB (and Naish) - "companies who have agreed to license this technology."
*Obrien - We can assume they are free since the patent applies to "Motion Watersports" which is LF and Obrien and their affiliates. But would it not then include the entire family tree of Kent Watersports and not just the branch of Motion Watersports? How much are these companies together and in what ways separate, especially if Hyperlite and CWB are needing "licensing (to) this technology"
* Gator - ???
* Byerly - can we assume that "Hyperlite" includes Byerly? in the most recent article about LF and Slingshot?
* J-Star - ???
* Wakeology - ???
* CTRL - ???
* Other Brands - don't have bindings...YET... so there is no application.

Benefit of a Doubt. - Well it did take a A WHILE to learn about Slingshot's situation, so maybe we will hear something about the other brands too? Maybe this patent IS being equally enforced and all brands are being treated equally with "cooperation." Maybe Motion Watersports/LF only has so much time and resources to deal with a limited number of brands at a time?

the situation could easily be reversed to where a "small indie" brand was seemingly suing one or two brands, cooperating with a few others and leaving the others alone. I would be disappointed with that brand instead.

How all the brands are separate in there connectedness in the Kent tree is something that interests me but confuses me.

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-25-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-25-2011, 5:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
I don't get why what seems to be 99.9% of posters don't understand someone upholding their freaking IP? It's a business people. In any industry, small or large, you uphold your IP. There was cost affiliated with filing for it. No matter the details, it is what it is. You can't just go copy what the best new design is and expect nothing as far as ramification if it was filed, and you KNOW it was filed. This is normal practice in nearly every industry. It's a business world, and as you see, if you have something other than copying "innovations", then you can play. Nickbot couldn't be more right. The rest of you seem to just be lost in the anti-corporate stigma demographic wakeboarding attracted a decade ago.
I definitely have some thoughts on this.
But let me get this out of the way before I write some sort of novel here.

NO offense intended. None. But...

Have you, personally, ever been part of trying to have a patent issued?
Scratch that - have you personally ever handled getting one done - nitty gritty style in the trenches?

Even a provisional. For the health of the conversation despite the two being very different..

Based on your answer I'll go back in.
Old    mojo            03-25-2011, 5:53 AM Reply   
It is funny correct craft got a tower patent when tuna towers and suchnhave existed for years
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
@ Roddyrod "But this thread is getting way too heavy!"

Gotta agree there Rod, I think this thread got way past the point of heavy when it got past pg 2.

The legal ramifications are there, but the problem is, you can only do so much to a product on the market and still be innovative from year to year, and one company will surely see something of their design (or previous design) in anothers. and now LF and SS just put out a joint statement that they've "Shared" intelectual properties. wonder how this same approach couldn't have been worked into what's goin' on here with the binding deal. I gotta agree with David I should keep my fingers off the board cuz I'm not a patent lawyer or business gooru myself, but it seems that a lot of this could have been hashed out in a better manner than it was handled or is being handled.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-25-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
a big part of the problem seems to be that company does not feel they are in viloation of LF's patent...LF does...there are a few ways to get past this...one of them is in court...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
I definitely have some thoughts on this.
But let me get this out of the way before I write some sort of novel here.

NO offense intended. None. But...

Have you, personally, ever been part of trying to have a patent issued?
Scratch that - have you personally ever handled getting one done - nitty gritty style in the trenches?

Even a provisional. For the health of the conversation despite the two being very different..

Based on your answer I'll go back in.
Yes to both. It is a major part of my job, although getting the "dirty" work done is normally what you have a patent attorney for.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2011, 2:51 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure that just about every one of these companies starts with a "base" idea of how their bindings are going to work and where they're gonna start from in the protos: lace zones, flex zones, velcro or combinations of the aforementioned.

Direct contact on the board, separate boot and binding, Hinge tech, air pads in the plate chassis. ultimately it's the company listening to the riders about what they look for in bindings, because they're the ones who have an idea of what they're lookin' for. then hashing out how they're gonna go about putting it together.

It all seems like a lot of overstated legal Cock Blocking IMO. in the end, it seems to me that everything similar from one company to the next: two similar bindings is still different somehow regardless of which patents were used to arrive at that final product: be it in the fit, functionality, or design regardless of who says who is infringing on which patents or intellectual property and when. and I think this goes for everything out there, not just in the wake industry, but everything in general.

I'm reminded of a quote from Chuck Barfoot about snowboarding: "I'm not the Inventor, I'll never say I'm the Inventor. I'll never say I'm the first. There's always been somebody before you that's had the same idea or something similar." I feel it's pretty relevent here.

It just comes down to building the binding that the rider is going to sign off on and say they like it, and then put it on the Market. again I'm not Patent Law savvy nor stepping up for either (or any for that matter) company, neither do I know the full details of what's really going on with this lawsuit. the blueprints for a binding are already there it's just what the company does with those blueprints and tries to innovate a new idea.

and to what David said, I have to agree that there's too much speculation goin' around about what's really goin' on no matter where who gets their "facts". It'll all roll out in the end. let it roll till it stops without givin' it that extra nudge just to see how much further it'll go if you do.
Old    mojo            03-25-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
I believe cwb had a few patent violations with hinge tech. Obviously if they did it was sorted
Old     (neverwinter)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-25-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
I see this as a dubious patent.

Step 1) - Claim Prior Art: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior_art

Step 2 - Reference http://www.google.com/patents/about?...dings+baseless and prove patent ownership is actually owned by K-2 and then see if they can get the patent revoked and marked as redundant.

I'm pretty sure a good litigator could argue succesfully that snowboarding and wakeboarding (at least in terms of how binding are secured) are similiar...
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-26-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
wakeology isn't a threat, so it doesn't matter.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-26-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
no matter whose side you are, i dont think its good for anyone. if either side loses and possibly others to come (on the being sued side), its going to be bad for the sport not to mention the businesses
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-26-2011, 6:49 PM Reply   
It might not be good for a majority of people or the sport but I'm sure a small handful of people will benefit from all of this, maybe they can take an extra trip overseas this year or buy that new AMG they've been wanting....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-28-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahhh View Post
wakeology isn't a threat, so it doesn't matter.
i guess another way to look at it is that ONLY Company wake and Ronix carry an entire line of product and gear (to compete on every level). Boards, Bindings, Ropes, Handles, Vests, Bags, etc. Company lacks a wakesurfer though and a connected brand with skis and tubes and such. (outside kent brands of course)

Jobe Sports would be the only other brand with a full line
Gator has/had a little bit of everything too, but it looks like they have stopped making vests and maybe lines too

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-28-2011 at 9:24 AM.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-28-2011, 3:57 PM Reply   
Don't know if this has been discussed before, but could this have been why Lyman bailed on LF?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
now it's time to speculate on someone's private life. awesome.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-28-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
Damn right. I wonder if Umali wears boxers or briefs. Thoughts?
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-28-2011, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
now it's time to speculate on someone's private life. awesome.
I don't see how it's private when it has already been posted that he has switched to SS just prior to this happening. He seems very down to earth and maybe something like LF going after smaller companies bothered him and decided to represent who he felt was wakeboarding.

That is all
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-28-2011, 7:23 PM Reply   
Good lord. I, also, am not a patent attorney. I'm simply a litigator. We do have a few ip attorneys in the firm that start the patent process for our clients. What I can say is that for any of us, who have not read all of the pleadings that have been filed, and/or are not actually affiliated with the companies involved, to speculate as to what's really going on, who's right or wrong, why suit was filed, what the subject matter of the suit is, much less comment on the merits of the companies respective claims, is simply insane. I also am shocked at some of the things I'm reading here. I don't have a dog in the fight. I just hope that people reading this thread have access to a ginormous grain of salt and a dang good bs filter in their brain.

Last edited by chattwake; 03-28-2011 at 7:27 PM.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-28-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Regardless of which side of this arument you are on or what you believe, look at the stats. This little thread on WW has 25,000 views and 5 pages of posts which tells us a few things; people care about the industry, people care about the riders and people care about the products they ride.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lseghatch View Post
I don't see how it's private when it has already been posted that he has switched to SS just prior to this happening.
sure, him switching is "public" knowledge, but why he switched is none of anyone's business but his.

THAT is all.
Old     (Robby_Jacques)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-28-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
I think he switched because they said that, like him, they TOO like the armed forces!
Old     (jelico)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-29-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
Hey do we have a heads up on whats happening with Company Wake yet? I really loved their product while it was available and hoping like hell they turn their misfortune around and come up swinging.

From Justins previous email I would have thought they might have come out with a statement by now - at least letting their supporters know whats happening.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-30-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
wat about SS and LFs partnership? did they agree on patents?
Old     (mpleasance)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-30-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musgrove View Post
wat about SS and LFs partnership? did they agree on patents?
My understanding is Slingshot is licensing LF's binding patent and LF is licensing slingshot's kiteboarding control bar patent.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2369508
Old     (dguille)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-30-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Here's a little comment Lyman made on Justin's post about this lawsuit.....

Keith Lyman Damn dude, that **** is weak! Dont feel to bad my friend, LF (I mean "Motion Watersports") fired me because im not a "partier". But they decided to tell me that I was the least valuable rider on their team instead.
February 14 at 6:28pm · LikeUnlike · 3 peopleLoading....
Old     (adrien)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-31-2011, 12:18 AM Reply   
I bet LF let him go because he kept breaking their boards. I have a feeling SS will hold up to his riding far better. Keith, if you are reading, you don't need to party to be a rock star and in my opinion you were their most valuable rider.

If LF wins this fight and then uses that win to fight others, then we will see drama. So if you are tired of this thread, just realize it could just be the beginning of a long headache for all of us.

The up-side? Maybe we'll see some really creative binding tech in the future from companies trying to avoid this broad patent.
Old     (odub0perator)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2011, 1:15 AM Reply   
This whole thing is good and bad. like that guy said earlier, its nice to know that this many people are interested and care about wakeboarding. and it is publicity, but its bad publicity. i wonder how often this stuff happens in skateboarding or snowboarding, or any other extreme sport for that matter, and we probly never hear about it, cause those big companies dont want thier consumer to get any bad vibes about their company. i think it would have been best that whoever posted the original letter or statement about the lawsuit, never did it.

innovation will continue either way. if one company gets put out of business and they had a good idea for something, then that good idea will probly end up coming back somehow so we will still get so see it in the future. stop crying about what happened and let the companies figure out what they need to do, and let us(the riders) keep riding and having fun, because thats why the sport was started in the 1st place.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-31-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
lymans part from push process still holds up.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-31-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
Damn, it's definitely still March here in wakeworld land. We all need to grab our boards, (whichever company you fancy) get behind our boats, (whichever company you fancy) and go ride. It's currently still 35 degrees outside here in IL....which is why I had the time to read this crazy thread..... Business is business. It will never change.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-31-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
Ughhhh horay for April!
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-31-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
Lol Yes it is only april and that means about 3 more weeks for us canucks.... I wonder how many times i can read this by then.... But seriously I cant wait any longer....
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-31-2011, 3:11 PM Reply   
"
Keith Lyman Damn dude, that **** is weak! Dont feel to bad my friend, LF (I mean "Motion Watersports") fired me because im not a "partier". But they decided to tell me that I was the least valuable rider on their team instead.
February 14 at 6:28pm · LikeUnlike · 3 peopleLoading...."

Thats deep **** right there... Because the guy doesn't "party"... haha what a bunch of clowns
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
Read this last night and thought it was a perfect comment on the issue highlighted in this thread:
http://www.newsweek.com/2011/04/10/g...c-schmidt.html

Newsweek, April 10, 2011
Government Is Broken. These Guys Can Fix It.

1. Eric Schmidt: Former CEO, Google

Neutralize frivolous patent claims

America’s patent system desperately needs reform. Sadly, it’s become a tool for people who produce nothing but patents of dubious validity, and frivolous lawsuits targeting the profits of true invention. Companies often settle rather than risk losing millions of dollars in front of a jury, and consumers, innovation, and the economy all suffer for it. Since patent law’s original purpose was promoting innovation, infringement-claim damages should be tied to the actual value added by a patented feature—not the entire product, which might have thousands of parts. Also, there should be a more effective reevaluation process after patents are issued, thus reducing expensive, time-wasting litigation. The history of America is one of amazing innovation. Let’s give our best companies and minds the protection to keep dreaming big, and moving us forward.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-13-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Great find andy
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-13-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeslife View Post
Looks like they're going to have to rebrand themselves to "Lawsuit Force"!

I know that was a really, really bad joke. But this thread is getting way too heavy!
Or Liquid Force you out of Business, hahahahaha j/k
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-13-2011, 3:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Or Liquid Force you out of Business, hahahahaha j/k
nice
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-13-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
LOL...Good one, Jeff.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2011, 11:47 PM Reply   
Well I will say one good thing about LF
They always seem to have the largest variety of gear for every size, age, and style of rider.
They got not only boards and boots, but all sorts of accessories and apparel and other things.

While i may not ever understand how each brand in the Kent tree can be separate, it is obvious that each brand has their own style and each bring something a little different to the table. It is like an apple tree that bears a different kind of apple on every branch if it were possible. Even as amazing as this might seem, we would all like to see a few more happy healthy growing trees in our wake orchard.
Old     (dguille)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-03-2011, 7:34 PM Reply   
Found these on FB today.... Wonder if these are 2011 models.... The Vandall board and bindings look awesome! Not sure if these were shown before or not but its the first time I've seen them.
Attached Images

Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-03-2011, 7:44 PM Reply   
Well thats a good sign!!!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 8:16 PM Reply   
very good sign. product looks good too
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2011, 12:06 AM Reply   
Are you guys serious?? How many Company team riders do you still see on their boards. Some of those pics were taken 6 months ago.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2011, 1:38 AM Reply   
David - you are right those pics were posted on FB yesterday. There is video available online with those boards from Sep last year with Justin at the lake during Expo.http://wakegirls.com/2010/09/nicola-...-company-2011/ And while the pics posted might not be actually as old as 6 months when last has somebody bought or seen a Company board?? Nice guys , nice product,nice team.Their stuff was great.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2011, 1:57 AM Reply   
Also interesting in the clip is that Justin discusses the Company bindings for 2011.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-04-2011, 6:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xistential View Post
How many Company team riders do you still see on their boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xistential View Post
Their stuff was great.
There is obviously still a lot of love for Company here on the boards.
It might be more constructive to state fact or nothing at all rather than innuendo.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-04-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
Sorry Chris... we are not as lucky has you to have a daughter in the industry...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-04-2011, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveronix199 View Post
Sorry Chris... we are not as lucky has you to have a daughter in the industry...
Yes Chris does have a daughter in the industry. HOWEVER if you had been paying attention to the last 6 months worth of wakeboard "headlines" pretty much every team rider is now riding for a different company. They only person I have not heard joining a different team is Vandall.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2011, 7:08 AM Reply   
This thread was started 4 1/2 months ago and has degenerated into nothing but innuendo. That people show such concern for them is indicative of the great product they made. Do you really have to be the industry to know that you cannot purchase their products anymore??

And Dave - apology accepted.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-04-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
so Chris who is Nicola riding for these days?
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-04-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
and you havent seen Vandall jump ship because he is part owner
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
I thought randall was the first to get hooked up?? Thought somebody said something about Byerley. Maybe just speculation??

Jeremy - I don't really know. I do not live in the US anymore so I am not really up to speed with much.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-04-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
that sucks they if they arent making boards anymore, those are some sharp looking designs
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-04-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
True.... So when does it go public... or have I and others missed the press release??
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2011, 12:21 PM Reply   
To the best of my knowledge I don't think there has been anything official......?? I think with the lack of any communication,riders leaving, no visible product most people have pretty much worked it out. The retailers must surely know?? One of those worst kept secret scenarios. Their 2011 designs as Henry said were really sharp. And of course those now infamous bindings..............A real shame.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-04-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
Agreed those binding are sick to death.
Agreed also that this whole things is begging for resolution. Wow. Just drags on and on and on.
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-04-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
Good to know Nicola is still a babe
Old    mojo            05-04-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Here's what's funny to me, motion was sued for patent infringement a few years ago. Not sure of the outcome. Hope the best for everyone involved with company regardless of what happens.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-04-2011, 4:55 PM Reply   
Well Best of Luck to all the other riders that still need to be picked up Tino, Nicola, and Randall
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2011, 7:24 PM Reply   
you don't even know what your daughter is up to? that seems odd to me....you apparently know so much about the industry to act like a jerk to people on this message board, but don't even keep up with your own family's interests?

Last edited by jealous_soul; 05-04-2011 at 7:25 PM. Reason: misspelling