Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-10-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
Some of my friends are thinking about moving down to Nashville or possibly Knoxville, and I was just wondering about the wakeboarding scene and the cities in general?
Old     (dwakesetter)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-10-2009, 8:39 PM Reply   
knoxwake.com
norriswake.com
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-11-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
Knox's scene is rad. Lots of really cool guys up there pushing the sport in the right direction. Not as familiar with the Nash scene.
Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-11-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
I live in Nashville and have been riding here for the past 2 years. The wakeboard scene is pretty big here, not sure how it compares to Knoxville. There are so many different places to ride. Some local sites to check out are nashvillewake.com and wakeboardnashville.com
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-11-2009, 7:29 AM Reply   
i live in between both. go to nashville if you want to party in a wakeboard boat and talk about riding. go to knoxville if you want to ride behind a wakeboard boat, or hit rails at the weekly rail jam, or go to one of the contests...then go to the party after if you want. nashville has a few contests a year so the scene isn't bad- it just seems like there are a lot living the wakeboard lifestyle but only a couple people riding.
Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-11-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
You must be out at 2-foot then, Every lake/river has their share of deutch bags that have a $100K boat with 15 people and no wakeboard. My opinion is if they are just sitting around talking about wakeboarding then they are not fn up the water for those of us who actually ride. Like I said there are a lot of places to ride in or around Nashville and they all have a different vibe. We plan on going out Monday and getting in a quick set while it is in the 50's.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-13-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
If your looking for the party spot nashville is where its at. Wakefest and Board Bonanza are the two big contest in the nashville area. They are called contest but in my opinion are a big party with some wakeboarding ha. However there are a few serious riders there. Knox. scene has many serious riders but i havent seen much partying myself. The wildwings rail jam is a CRAZY contest. Alliance Wake has been there and i have seen a couple pros faces show up here and there. Both scenes are great but if i were you and lived in either one i would commute back and forth between both
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       12-13-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
in knoxville you have a much better shot at finding people to ride with. there's more of a wake scene there. i live in nashville and the scene seems to be sparse. there are people riding but mostly within there own groups. the party scene is probably about even both places, but knoxville definitely has more hardcore riders.
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-13-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
Knoxville I think definlty has a bigger scene, From March til October we have a contest every thursday night at wildwings, they also have the xfest,boomsday,ut contest,railoween,pwt tour, and on and on. Checkout knoxwake to find out more. You have several several hardcore riders here that ride all the time and kill it. Plus you have most of your wakeboard boat mfg. in the back yard. Not long ago we had Parks Bonifay come to our riders choice awards have had several pro's stop in. There is several lakes and there is alot of nice guys around that will be more than glad to take people out and show them around
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-14-2009, 5:29 AM Reply   
There is a good community of riders in Knoxville, if you're deciding between both Nash and Knox based on riding or riding potential I don't think it's even a question, Knoxville all the way. Lots of events and alot of backing, and the local shops are great. Mastercraft, Supra, Moomba, and Malibu are all made here, as well as alot of runabout mfg's (Sea Ray, Cobalt, Bryant, Yamaha, etc...). The localized microeconomy depends on boating and it's reflected in the community. Not to mention there are endless miles of lake, and you'll never have a problem finding a launch. Definitely check out www.knoxwake.com. Knoxville is a great place to live.
Old     (axismatt)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-14-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
and we have the sunsphere! It's so cool it's even been on the Simpsons.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-14-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
yes...this is the most enduring aspect of Knoxville, the sunsphere, which was built for the World's Fair. Paris made the Eiffel Tower, Korea built the Hanbit Tower, Seattle built the Space Needle, Chicago built the Palace of Fine Arts, we built........the sunsphere
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-14-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
Also during the winter down time Knoxville is close to many snowboarding spots. It's also a 4 to 5 hour drive to Wake Nation. Atlanta is getting a cable park and will be even closer. Word has it Knoxville may soon have a cable park but I've not heard anything beside rumors on that.
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-15-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for all the information. As of now, I am applying for jobs at both places. Hopefully I can get some hits and take it from there. Maybe ill be seeing some of you in the future.
Old    wiz            12-15-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
knoxville's scene is all hype. the lakes always have 7 ft chop & wind gusts @ 25 - 165mph. alligator gar have migrated up from georgia & florida. knox county has a $400 monthly boat tax for any boat with over 20hp. i would consider these sufficient reasons to choose nashville instead. good luck!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-16-2009, 4:58 AM Reply   
um....yea, I forgot about that Chuck, this place sucks....please, stay away...for your own good!
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-16-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Yea Chuck is right, I also hear that the fish have toes from the nukes at Oak Ridge
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-19-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
If anyone knows of any marinas, boat dealerships, etc. that are hiring please do let me know. I have a degree in Communications-journalism/advertising/photography/film. I presently do sales and marketing for my family business, and am a photographer for 2 local papers. Thanks again for the responses and the help.
Old     (consigliereg8r)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-19-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Why go 2nd class --move to FLA and be a G8R. no need to volunteer for a second class deal
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-21-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
Upload
Old    wiz            12-23-2009, 5:05 AM Reply   
yeah...u could move to florida & hang out on the "sidelines" of the wake scene and cry like tebow on the sidelines vs alabama!
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
I would rather check TN out. I lived in Miami before, for about a year and a half , and was just in Fort Lauderdale for 2 months teaching wakeboarding. I also have been to Orlando on a few different occasions, but would rather live in a place with more of a mountainous terrain. Knoxville sounds like a great area. It is right next to the Smoky Mountain National Park and has Lakes, Rivers, Huge Boating hub, and only about a 9 hour drive from my hometown. All these facts are appealing to me, no offense H. Mattew Fugua.
Old     (jajeh5)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-29-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
Also, the home of Mastercraft is just south of Knoxville which helps the scene.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-30-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
and the home of Supra, Moomba, and Malibu. As well as tons of I/O's. They all make the scene terrific.
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-05-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
If anyone knows of any job openings within the industry please let me know. I work in sales and marketing presently, and also am a photographer for two local papers. Thank you.
Old     (nic0)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-05-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Speaking of Knoxville, anybody know if Knoxville Water Sports is still around? Nobody picks up the phone and their website is now unavailable.

http://www.knoxvillewatersports.com
Old     (seankey)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-06-2010, 4:40 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, Knoxville Water Sports closed down. Such awesome people there it really sucks. Hopefully there will be a new Supra dealer opening soon.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-06-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   
Yes, KWS is unfortunately closed, they had a tough year. Some of the best people in the local market, hopefully they all land on their feet.
Old     (nic0)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-06-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Did anyone have their supra/moomba boat work/winterization done at KWS? I have a quick easy question.
Old    wiz            01-07-2010, 5:26 AM Reply   
i'm good friends with their techs. what's the question?
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-07-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
KWS was awesome I hate to hear it Bill and everyone there espically Nick will be missed