Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-25-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
I had a new amp installed for my tower and in-boat speakers (4 channel) and one for my sub. The problem is that the tower amp has been consistently shutting off after about 15 to 20 minutes of playing. One day I couldn't even get that amp to come on. The sub amp keeps playing and doesn't shut off. I have two new batteries that I always keep charged and set the Perko to "both" after starting. So I'm pretty sure it is not a battery issue. I take it back to the dealer who installed it (by the way they have done many boat stereo installs). They turn it on and it runs without issue for a least 2.5 hours. We just turn it off at that point and check the batteries and it is still reading 12.7 volts. I take it back home and a few days later take it to the lake. As usual, it ran for about 15 minutes before the tower speaker shut off. I might add that it doesn't appear to be in protect mode but completely off (no light). I turn the stereo off for maybe 45 minutes and then turn it back on. Everything works fine again for maybe 10 minutes. I charge it overnight and run it in my yard the next day. It runs for about 25-30 minutes before the amp shuts off and only one tower speaker is working now.

The dealer said they checked all the wiring and connections and everything was fine. I tried swiching the RCAs on the sub amp to the tower amp, but no dice.

Could this just be a bad amp? The dealer said he would replace the amp for me at no cost. It is an hour drive and don't want to put a new amp just to come home and it shuts off after 20 minutes of playing.

Anyone have suggestions?