Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
I feel pretty lame and unchallenged. I ride with all beginners so they think its cool that I can jump w2w and its really cool that I can do a backroll sometimes, but that's about it. I've always been the type to just go for it so I stuck my backroll before just about everything, but now that's all I got. my 180s are lame...front side only, can't do 360s. whats the next logical step to progress? i actually want to learn how to ride. I used to try what everyone called a super man, but if I actually laid out, I'd faceplant. What are some good tricks to start between w2w and a backflip?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-12-2008, 10:44 PM Reply   
ts w2w
grabs
180s...they become less lame if you work on them.
Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-12-2008, 11:31 PM Reply   
Get those grabs and 180s down. Nothing feels as stylie as a grabbed bs 180, and you're not that far from it. Once you've got those, start working on the fs 3.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2008, 4:50 AM Reply   
That is the perfect advice.Grabbed 180's,ts w2w and as Robert said a grabbed bs 180 is money. I would rather see my daughter do a stalefish backside 180 than a mobe. Just looks so
stylish.
At the Worlds in Russia 3 years ago there were 2 or 3 russian girls (13 or 14 years old) who had about 3 inverts each. But that is all they had. They couldn't do any 180's or even ts w2w. Needless to say they have vanished off the scene.
You sound discouraged as well. Don't be. Take the advice you have been given and learn to do the basics well.The rest will follow.
Good luck.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
And don't forget to ride SWITCH!!!!
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2008, 10:35 PM Reply   
tips for backside 180? do you land with handle on your back or what? oh I guess I can prob check out the trick tips huh? anyone have vid of this?
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-14-2008, 4:46 AM Reply   
I'd love to a BS 180 W2W...but that is definitely not the one I'd start with. Get your TS W2W 180 down...its by far the easiest. Here's a vid of your BS 180 though.

http://www.thewakeplace.com/videos/TOTDAdam.html
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-14-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
work on toeside w2w, grabs and ad the grabs to your 180s they will look nice if you work on them

(Message edited by element8456 on September 14, 2008)
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
that is the sickest thing I've ever seen. So I jump. grab. rotate away from boat. land with handle at my back....sure thing
Wow!

Hopefully my beginner days will come back to me... when I first started I jumped toe side while everyone else jumped heelside. It was one of those weird things that felt more natural at the time, until I realized they were all jumping higher than me. Prob haven't jumped ts since then. didn't realize it was so important for new tricks.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
oh I know I need to work on some other things before I go str8 to this, but I was reading on some other links about landing "cuffed", what does that mean exactly? Also, when I jump ts w2w, should I be landing with handle on my back?
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-16-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
I read on another post in trick tips that people advised removing fins for practicing the backside 180. why exactly?
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-17-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Don't worry about removing fins for the BS 180. Get up, have the boat driver go slower than normal but fast enough that you can cut and jump from inside to outside the wake (ie jump from directly behind the boat using one wake, on your heelside edge, so that you land outside the wake). Try the BS 180 there instead of going to wake to wake and you will nail it pretty quick. Concentrate on staying on axis and passing the handle. The wrecks aren't nearly as bad b/c you are going slower. Worked for me and after 8-9 or those feeling comfy I took it wake to wake and nailed it about 3 tries later. Now working on getting more consistant and throwing in stale grab. Really sweet feeling trick, good luck
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-17-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
When you go TS w2w you should be landing with the handle on your front hip. If you let it out you'll get pulled around for a FS 180, some people find it easier to start with TS 180 then go on to TS w2w. TS w2w 180 is a good starter for landing switch.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-18-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
I was where your at three years ago. Not sure if you can toeside well but if not work on that. Like everybody says put some style in your 180's. Its an easy way to look good. As for the big stuff, do the TS three. Be patient with it, took me a long time to learn that one for some reason. I actually found it much harder than a backroll. A big trick that I found surprisingly easy was the tantrum. You might give that a try.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-18-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
Tip for bs 180: Exxagerate [with an extra x] Pop Pull Pass for pacing purposes, I literally say in my head, pop, wait, pull, wait, pass, spot landing.