Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-07-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
So, one of the little kids turned on the weed-roller that was in the water next to my parked boat and I had a weed-roller rubbing against the underside of my boat for a while. It mannaged to fold over the tips of all 4 blades of my ACME prop. I got under the boat with a snorkel and hammer and got them back to somewhat normal shape. Little punks caught a beating...

I don't notice much when driving except a lower top speed and vibration when over 40mph. Other than that, it is normal. The lake is REALLY low and I have to run aground to get in to one of the docks I frequent (sand bottom) so I am thinking that too does dammage or opens the door to potential dammage. Will do any other long term dammage by running a semi-damaged prop for the remainder of the summer? I will then plan on getting a new prop for spring as the CNCs are virtually impossible to get back to factory specs on a repair. I don't see the point in putting a new prop on now when I will prob break that one too. What are your thoughts?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-07-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Lower top speed is because the prop is less efficient now. That won't wreck anything other than wear the prop with some cavitation and slow your acceleration a bit.
The vibration adds wear on bushings and linkages. When you don't feel it the harmonics are not bad bud you still load the bushings some. If you drive so you don't feel it you won't be doing much that affects other parts and running through sand could be worse. If it was me, I'd keep running it but order the replacement.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-07-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
Have the repair shop do a prop scan on it. Won't that put it back to factory specs ?
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-07-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
Thanks Art, that's what I thought. Also, I do not run it in the sand, I cut it and then coast in. But, the waves banging the prop agianst the sand casues dammage too. I folded a whole blade over last summer not being careful. I will start looking for a new one, but am not going to switch back to my crappy OJ 13 X 13 unless I really break something.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
CNC props can be repaired just fine. They have to be balanced by hand anyway before they leave the factory.

I wouldn't run a prop very long that I could feel any vibration in. A couple small dings and some cavitation are one thing, but noticeable vibration is pretty destructive.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-07-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Mark

What is a weed roller?
Old     (pucktowake)      Join Date: May 2007       07-07-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
A weed roller is a big long pipe that you set in your beach area and it flattens the weed and then they don't come back. It has a motor that you put on the dock and it rolls back and forth in an arch pattern.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
I have my ACME repaired far to often. lol

If you have vibrations you can bend your driveline over time....which turns into 2-3k$. I would have it fixed. $125 max.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
"...he waves banging the prop agianst the sand casues dammage too. I folded a whole blade over last summer not being careful...."

don't forget the shaft, strut, rudder. some expensive bottom feelers.