Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-07-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever thought about using one of these to reduce the exhaust notice? I'm thinking about picking one of these and giving it a whirl.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-07-2013, 6:26 AM Reply   
I installed the Malibu silent rider exhaust tips on my boat. Cut way down on the engine noise and the exhaust smell while surfing. Money well spent
Attached Images

Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-07-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
Interesting idea, I would be scared of changing the back pressure on the engine. It's cool that Malibu offers it from the factory.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-07-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
I have had them on my mercruiser for a couple years now with no problem.They have no flapper and internal baffles which dramatically cuts down on engine noise and exhaust. They are an easy retrofit to most brand's of boats.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-07-2013, 11:24 AM Reply   
The absolute best way to silence the exhaust on your boat is with a Fresh Air Exhaust. Your stereo sounds better and you have less exhaust smell than before. Surfing is safer. Without question it is a great addition to any inboard. Do search on Wakeworld and you will get many comments on the FAE.
You can also add mufflers inline to the exhaust but you have to be able to get under the floor to install them.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
As Art said you cannot beat FAE and its not even close. Turn downs do work some but I'd say the FAE is roughly 3 times more quiet. I've had it for 3 seasons now with 0 problems and I'll never have another boat without it.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-07-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
FAE x 3,No back pressure,performance loss problems.Best upgrade I've done on my boat.I love it,almost no engine noise.4 1/2 seasons problem free.

Last edited by wakebrdjay; 01-07-2013 at 1:05 PM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-07-2013, 3:18 PM Reply   
Agreed I would have went FAE but it will not work with the switchblade.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-07-2013, 3:30 PM Reply   
can someone point me into the right direction for FAE on a newer Axis/Malibu... no wedge. Thanks, this is my next upgrade.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-07-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
Not me Baby. I love the sound of a fine tuned V-8 in full song. The thought of muffling killer engine note to hear loud rap music. (not saying you do,,, just sayin') baffles me.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-07-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
Here ya go but keep in mind if you want to add a wedge in the future it will not work with the FAE http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-07-2013, 4:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Here ya go but keep in mind if you want to add a wedge in the future it will not work with the FAE http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
thanks man.... no worries about adding a wedge here, I am not into it. (I will let the future new-owner worry about that)

I can't find the picture, but I recently saw a Bu with a wedge and had a really nice FAE system that hugged the transom and went straight down between the wedge and transom. Searched malibucrew and on here, but could not find it... saw it a week or two ago
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-07-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
I know all about fae just wondering about an alternative. I have catanium so I'm not worried about fumes. Fae is the standard but it'd be nice to have other options. I love the idea of centurions new silencer system, it'd be great if other manufactures start doing the same and offering some kind of noise reducing system stock or a retro fit attempt.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-07-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
FAE would be nice, but wow not for $500+!!! Wheels are turning...wonder how hard it could really be to make my own. Looks hella simple to construct....might have to break the ol'welder out! I see a future DIY thread...
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-07-2013, 9:57 PM Reply   
I waited two years before I got an FAE. Like everyone said. WAY WORTH THE MONEY. The first time in the water last year, we all looked at each other after about a 1/2 hour and realized we could hear. I took a ride in my buddies Malibu and was amazed out how loud it was.

All this plus more importantly - the cut down of the exhaust fumes.

No change in boat performance and for the money - best thing I've done to the boat.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-07-2013, 10:41 PM Reply   
Saw the pics of the FAE with the Malibu power wedge. Would it also work on the older Malibus with the manual wedge?
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-12-2013, 5:42 AM Reply   
Harold, do you have a direct link/recommendation on where I can find a pair of the Malibu silent rider exhaust tips? I don't have a local Malibu dealer. I'm normally good at searching the interwebs but only came up with a bunch of older forum posts. I'm guessing you are running the same engine in your Centurion (MerCruiser Black Scorpion)?

My Supreme V226 is LOUD...it has the straight pipes (not turned down) and I investigated the FAE last year and almost pulled the trigger but decided to hold off because I was just ready to get the boat in the water! From reading everyone's responses about the FAE, perhaps it's time to revisit?

For comparison, my buddy picked up a 2012 Tige RZ2 last summer and that thing is super quiet right out the box!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-12-2013, 6:27 AM Reply   
The Tige's are quiet. I was actually kind of disappointed by that when we demo'd our RZR. The wife and I both liked the "growl" of our old inboard. The Tige is very quiet for a stock inboard!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-12-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
Here ya go http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-12-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
^wow at that price I would pick up a FAE instead.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
I can see the advantages of Both FAE and the turn down. The people I know (3 of them ) that have the FAE have all hade problems with the FAE . Either self inflicted damage or it just broke. The turn down tips might not quiet the boat as much as the FAE but they would seem built proof in tht you would not be accidentally be knocking them off OD dislodging them and swim deck issues. I can also see if you had dual tips the FAE Can get bulky and complicated. Like I said I can see the advantages of both
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-12-2013, 9:29 AM Reply   
How do you break it?The tip of it is inline with the center of the drive shaft,I don't see how you can damage it without taking out the prop. I installed mine in Aug. of 2008 and haven't had to touch it since.300+ hrs on it.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-12-2013, 10:26 AM Reply   
Like Grant said there advantages to both.If you have to remove your swim deck to store your boat or have a wake enhancing device on the back of your boat the tips are the way to go.The FAE makes removing your swim platform considerably more difficult but does reduce the noise more than the tips. Some might not like the aesthetics of the FAE or the weird spray that comes from it at higher speeds. The FAE and the tips are both great products you just have to weigh the positives and the negatives of both and decide what will work best for you. Here is a pic I found of a FAE installed. You can see the extra mounting hardware that has to be anchored to the swim deck
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-12-2013, 10:40 AM Reply   
Two nuts is all you really need to remove platform and they also offer a quick release system if you remove platform often.True that it can't be used with the Switchblade,it is available for boats with Malibu Wedge.

Last edited by wakebrdjay; 01-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-12-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
It is also true that the FAE does produce spray.It bothers some guys enough that they install a mud flap off their swim deck to knock it down and clean up their wave.I don't think one is necessarily better than the other but like I said above it will come down to personal choice. The FAE will reduce more noise and exhaust than the tips but it comes with trade offs that should be factored in when making a choice which system to go with
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-12-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
LOL Only spray from mine comes up between the platform and transom,fixed that with a piece of roofing expansion joint.Which is basically a 2" dia. x 6foot solid foam rod much like those swimming noodle things.No spray on goofy or regular side.I'm sure it works different on boats,it works awesome on mine.I'm not saying one is better than the other,but I am speaking from experience,cause I have one on my boat.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-12-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Like Grant said there advantages to both.If you have to remove your swim deck to store your boat or have a wake enhancing device on the back of your boat the tips are the way to go.The FAE makes removing your swim platform considerably more difficult but does reduce the noise more than the tips. Some might not like the aesthetics of the FAE or the weird spray that comes from it at higher speeds. The FAE and the tips are both great products you just have to weigh the positives and the negatives of both and decide what will work best for you. Here is a pic I found of a FAE installed. You can see the extra mounting hardware that has to be anchored to the swim deck
It doesn't make removing the swim platform more difficult.. It removes in the same fashion and ya just loosen the clamp on the exhaust, it can come with the platform.. They are also made to "break away" or pivot on the top bracket if they hit something hard. From what I know about them... The tips would be maintenance free, so excellent choice as well. I agree he should consider the tips as a alternative...

I agree there both good choices to decide on
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2013, 4:16 PM Reply   
Hate n pain... and everyone else who has FAE....

How, if any, does it affect the wake at 23 mph, heavily weighted? Do you notice a difference in shape, or on the lip? When riding in the wash, directly behind the boat at 70+ feet, do you notice any spray or difference in prop wash/rooster?

thank you
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-12-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
Hate n pain... and everyone else who has FAE....

How, if any, does it affect the wake at 23 mph, heavily weighted? Do you notice a difference in shape, or on the lip? When riding in the wash, directly behind the boat at 70+ feet, do you notice any spray or difference in prop wash/rooster?

thank you
more rooster for sure.

I've got one and I'm exceptionally pleased with what it does to the exhaust noise. Biggest stereo upgrade you can get.

That said, I'm taking it off this season. Never could get it dialed from a spray perspective, especially for surfing. It also seemed to choke some power out of the motor. Hole shot was noticeably decreased, probably because of increased backpressure at low throttle?

Another thing to know is that the "kit" is pretty rink-a-dink, and it will involve a lot of MacGuyvering to get it installed. Larry is really good about helping out and sending replacement parts, etc, but just know that installation will be a bit of a PITA.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-12-2013, 4:31 PM Reply   
I don't notice any difference in the wakeboard wake on mine.When the boat's on plane not much of it is in the water and what is ,is just the end of the downpipe and it's in the middle of the propwash.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2013, 4:32 PM Reply   
Thanks shawn. Bummer to hear that your hole shot suffered. I do not surf, so that is not a concern, just don't want my wake to suffer at all.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-12-2013, 4:34 PM Reply   
I currently have the turn down exhaust tips on my MB, and it still seems loud and smelly compared to my centurion falcon with FAE< but the sparay was also present. Hass anyone removed the turn downs on a boat? They seem almost glued on and very difficult to remove if I were to add a FAE again
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-12-2013, 4:46 PM Reply   
Dirt do you have the Malibu tips or the 90 degree MB tips?? The 90 degree tips are loud they have no internal baffle and have metal flappers which make a ton of noise. It takes some work to remove the old tips the factory uses tons of sealant.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-12-2013, 5:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Dirt do you have the Malibu tips or the 90 degree MB tips?? The 90 degree tips are loud they have no internal baffle and have metal flappers which make a ton of noise. It takes some work to remove the old tips the factory uses tons of sealant.
Ya they are just the 90s, i had the screws out, but was scared to get toocrazy trying to remove, they are on there good! I may have to try and pry but cant really figure out a smart/safe way to do that
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-12-2013, 5:13 PM Reply   
Try putting a two foot 4x4 under the tip and use a floor jack to put some upward pressure on the tip. It should slowly start to separate.Switch to a razor blade and cut the sealant adding more pressure as you go. Take your time and you will get it
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-12-2013, 5:22 PM Reply   
anybody ever tried something like this (especially on something like an MB, with a 4" angle-cut tip)?

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-12622...-silencer.aspx
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-12-2013, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Try putting a two foot 4x4 under the tip and use a floor jack to put some upward pressure on the tip. It should slowly start to separate.Switch to a razor blade and cut the sealant adding more pressure as you go. Take your time and you will get it
Great idea! The method I was considering makes me cringe now looking back
Thanks
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-12-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
anybody ever tried something like this (especially on something like an MB, with a 4" angle-cut tip)?

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-12622...-silencer.aspx
Seems like that would work in any style, interesting, I wonder if HP would suffer?
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-12-2013, 6:46 PM Reply   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-V...e/120889375735

This is what I'm interested in trying. I thought I posted this originally, maybe I forgot. It seems like a simple installation for a bit of noise reduction.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-12-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
Those are cool, where would they go in the exhaust system? Right inside the tip? Or remove the tip and install in the pipe?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-12-2013, 9:10 PM Reply   
E where are you going to put that? Doesn't look like it will work on a boat.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-13-2013, 2:25 PM Reply   
I would never... You'd restrict water as well... BAD IDEA
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-13-2013, 8:06 PM Reply   
^^^Agreed! Not even taking the water trying to escape portion of the equation, these would be restricting at least 50% of exhaust flow...they look designed for ricers w/those huge fart cans who would benefit from some restriction...
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-13-2013, 10:03 PM Reply   
Yea didn't think of it restricting water flow, that could be a problem. I wonder how Centurions silencer works.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-14-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
Whoa, hold up! Shawndoggy is onto something. Would these work in a stock system?? They're only $80. Seems to me that they would work just fine, as long as they fit.

I've had FAE in the past and wasn't a fan of the spray. It also became detached a few times until I fugured out you have to really crank down on the clamps. I want a quieter boat, but was looking for something more simple and less wake intrusive.
Attached Images

Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-14-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
The slip in silencers work over part of the range of exhaust noise so the nature of the sound changes. They don't work on harmonics or on baffleing of the noise to cancel or absorb the sound. They mostly just block the flow. Sorry, but the cheap fix is just a cheap fix and not an effective fix. Turn downs and FAE have the water absorb the sound frequencies so the stop the noise better.
My FAE has given me no problems in over hundreds of hours and several years but I can see where others might have had it come loose. There is not another fix that will work the same, however.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-14-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
They seem like the same/similar baffles that are in the malibu tips, are those weld in? I sent a email to banks asking how they attach

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-14-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
Malibu tips have the baffles welded in
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-14-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
I've had FAE on my 2000 MB DD for quite a few years now. It does put up some spray at surf and wakeboard speeds but I don't find it has any real noticeable affect on my wake. Maybe if I was being really picky and did a comparison I would notice something but if your riding changes because of it you have bigger problems. As for noise and smell....it's worth every penny. Mine is mounted directly in to the bottom of my boat through the trunk so I don't have any issues pulling my swim platform off which I have to do everytime I get home from the lake. I would definitely buy it again.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-14-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Malibu tips have the baffles welded in
I see, ya the ones from hardin you do have to drill a small hole for the bolt and nut, I would just tack weld mine in
Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-15-2013, 8:16 AM Reply   
So is anyone taking the plunge and ordering a set to test out ?
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-15-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
Can exhaust be diverted through the hull? I Came across this website they have a big selection of silencer tips.

http://www.keitheickert.com/c-9-exhaust-systems.aspx
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-15-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushtree View Post
So is anyone taking the plunge and ordering a set to test out ?
If anyone does be sure and down load a decible meter app free app
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-15-2013, 5:36 PM Reply   
The diverters are for I/O.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-16-2013, 8:46 AM Reply   
I remember hearing someone talk about a boat that the exhaust was actually on the underside of the hull. Never made sense to me but thought it was interesting.