Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-08-2013, 9:52 AM Reply   
I am considering going from a 2011 VLX to 2013 LSV this year. I have been very pleased with the wakeboard wake on the VLX. We tow all level of riders, a majority beginner and intermediate with occasionally advanced riders. The stock VLX wake seems to be pretty adequate even for the advanced riders I have towed with my VLX. I really like the clean wakes of the VLX at lower speeds and want to make sure the LSV will also deliver a good beginner cleaned up wake along with a nice advanced wake with quad ballast and wedge.

We are considering the upgrade for a little more space, storage and a better surf wake. But as I mentioned above dont want to sacrafice the wakeboard wake.

Has anyone here gone from a 2009+ VLX to a LSV? Regrets or comments?

I have also heard the Monsoon 350 w/wakeboard prop is adequate for the LSV with stock ballast and wedge, thoughts on this? We dont run extra ballast for wakeboarding, just the stock factory ballast. I am going on a test drive in a couple weeks but wanted to get some input from people who have spent adequate amounts of time in the LSV an VLX.

Thanks for any input.
Old     (jimmyd)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-08-2013, 2:33 PM Reply   
I'm one of the few that like the VLX wake better. Both have great wakes, but I personally like the shape and lip of the VLX's wake. The LSV can get bigger (if you have the ly6+ engine) but, to me, it has a more mellow of a shape when compared to the vlx.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-08-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
I'm one of the few that like the VLX wake better. Both have great wakes, but I personally like the shape and lip of the VLX's wake. The LSV can get bigger (if you have the ly6+ engine) but, to me, it has a more mellow of a shape when compared to the vlx.
I 100% agree as the VLX has always been my favorite between the two.

If you need the internal seating space go with the LSV. The wakes will be similar. The larger boat will have a little longer transition into the wake but they are similar. You will be stoked on surfgate with the 23 LSV. In my opinion that is the best platform for that device.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-08-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
The LSV is the preferred wake usually, at least, until the MXZ came along. When you weight down the LSV, you get both the lip, and a huge transition to land on. At slow speeds especially, the LSV wake will be sweet. It's also probably the most comfortable boat on the market to spend time in. It's large and plush inside! I miss ours. Out of the box, stock ballast to stock ballast, it will be a little more mellow than the VLX, but it has the potential to be much better. Drop a few led bags in the bag on both sides of the motor at you're be happy, and get the optional front tank. Unless you're going to start adding over 1000 pounds to the stock MLS, the monsoon should be okay. That should be easy enough to test pre sale.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-08-2013, 3:53 PM Reply   
LSV is my favorite all around wake. Great wake for wakeboarding and surfing. When you add weight it can be a monster with a decent lip. I do agree with above that the MXZ wake is a better wakeboarding wake, but not by a ton, just has a much bigger lip. Don't really like the MXZ surf wake, too hard to dial in
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2013, 3:19 PM Reply   
I've never had a VLX, and I can only give you the feedback from an intermediate at best rider...but I really like the wakeboard wake on our '11 LSV 23. It's not as abrupt as our old '02 SAN (which I loved as well), but the nice thing is that it stays clean down to low speeds (17 mph) which is really nice.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-10-2013, 4:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback, I will be able to get a great look at the surf wake and wakeboard wake next week on my test drive. I'm glad to hear the wake cleans up at lower speeds on the LSV, that is one of the wake features I enjoy on the VLX, great for beginner/intermediate riders.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-10-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
It's obvious you're a Malibu guy, but you can't mention the 23ft segment without mentioning the x30, z3, and g23...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-10-2013, 7:29 PM Reply   
He was asking about wake differences between the two boats... Not wake differences between the lsv,z3,g23 and x30...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-10-2013, 7:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
He was asking about wake differences between the two boats... Not wake differences between the lsv,z3,g23 and x30...
Sorry I offended you in some way by making an unbiased and nondescript post about other 23ft boats that the op may be looking at and may want to learn about the wakes now that his initial question has been answered. My mistake it was very rude of me to gauge interest before bombing the thread with opinion.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-11-2013, 6:34 AM Reply   
No worries, I can appreciate the other brands mentioned (forgot MB) but I have been so pleased with my Malibu cant imagine going to a different boat.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-11-2013, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Honestly bang for the buck wise the LSV has a better all around wake than all 3 of those. Of course the G23 is going to have a better wake hands down, but it also costs 30-50k more. The one draw back on the LSV is it takes more weight than avg to get a killer surf wake, but if you are willing and able to drive with extra weight it's hard to beat the surf wake it produces. The wakeboard wake is great stock and can go to insane with weight. My profile pic is an LSV with 2000lbs of weight and 5 adults in the boat.
Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-16-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
No worries, I can appreciate the other brands mentioned (forgot MB) but I have been so pleased with my Malibu cant imagine going to a different boat.
X2
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-16-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
OP, i am never going back to a VLX from an LSV, LSV is the perfect size, and the monsoon 350..... Ya go with the bigger motor hands down, 350 weighted is a turd. Takes for ever to plain out even with a high alt prop. Stock for Stock i like the VLX wake better, i like the rampier wake. IMO. But weighted down LSV.