Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

View Poll Results: What are the cops doing in this photo
Serving & Protecting 5 15.63%
Spying & Invading 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2013, 12:54 PM Reply   
The cop's are using Binoculars to???
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 05-15-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-15-2013, 1:00 PM Reply   
Check out chicks...I assume!!
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-15-2013, 1:21 PM Reply   
That's how we got a warning for being underway with someone on the engine cover, even tho we were moving 50 ft out away from shore
Old     (JPizzle)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-15-2013, 1:27 PM Reply   
-----searching for a donut shop....
Old     (steves1967)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-15-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
On the Delta they are looking for who is and who isnt drinking.....
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-15-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
He's not looking into binoculars....

He is checking out the latest disk on his view-master...

Old     (yjwrangler95)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-15-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
They do the same thing at our local lake. The only difference is there is a ranger perched up on the dam watching everyone anchored up in the cove, and radios to his other ranger buddies around the corner in the boat.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-15-2013, 2:05 PM Reply   
He might be a infamous **** hunter. Only way to tell is if he's wearing camp cuz to catch a elusive c@ck you have to blend in!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-15-2013, 2:06 PM Reply   
^cammo
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2013, 2:11 PM Reply   
We got a pair of binoculars on the boat to check out the Eagles nest and other birds at the lake. After discovering how far you can see with a cheep pair I instantly figured out why the cop's could take advantage with a super nice pair. I have a pair of 10x45 Bushnell's I bought off C-list for $25 I did some experiments to try and see what I thought the cop's were looking at.

If your looking for Valid CF#'s that's a tough one. I had a hard time making out CF#'s and stickers. The location and angle of a Valid CF sticker is small and pretty hard to get if your not very still. If the boat is not completely sideways its Very hard if not impossible to see it. So The CF number excuse IMO is out.

If your looking for Drinking while Driving That might be a valid one. Unless the driver is just chugging down and you happend to be looking right at him it would be hard (but not Impossible to spot.) You would have to focus on one person or spot and just keep looking. BUT in California, open container for the driver is LEGAL . So looking for drinking and driving is valid but IMO not that effective.

I have heard that the cop's use binoculars to help them look for Impaired drivers, Hummm That's interesting. So the cop's are saying they use them to look in at you from over 1/2 mile away or longer to "see if your Impaired"

Now knowing what I know now from using Binoculars you would have to be looking at a subject for a extended period let's say for argument sake 3-5 min's or longer to come to some conclusion. So I can see them working in this situation if you were tied up or sitting still and they could let's call it Monitor you! yes I could see the binoculars working very well.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-15-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
They are writing us all tickets for NON CGA comp vests!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
Looking for Lon’s MC maybe ????
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-15-2013, 7:27 PM Reply   
Heads up at Berryessa... Sitting on the houseboat roof last week and the sheriff was pulling people over so I grabbed our binoculars to see what was up. Looked like quick friendly safety checks, I am ok with that as most lake peeps are re-tards. But like ten minutes later I look at them again because they were just chillin' and low and behold he is looking right at me, binocs to binocs. So I wave. He waves. I laugh so hard I almost fall off the roof. So, heads up party people...
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-15-2013, 10:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Looking for Lon’s MC maybe ????
He better grab his scuba mask
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-15-2013, 10:51 PM Reply   
There are dozens of legitimate things that he could be doing. He could be counting occupants, looking for kids without vests, keeping an eye on a swimmer without a vest, looking for skier down flag, monitoring the scene at a party cove, keeping an eye on who is drinking and then later driving. Perhaps even looking for a set of bolt-ons.

You seem to imply that monitoring is some sort of invasion of privacy. Doesn't every peace officer do that all the time? They go to a setting where the law might be broken and run surveillance. You gotta look and understand the setting to determine if intervention is needed.

So I say look through those binoculars officer, look at whatever you want. And if you see boobs, do the right thing and point em out for us.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2013, 11:21 PM Reply   
I don't think this is anything new. Asuming your pic is recent, it's just early in the season and there's not as many people out yet. Pretty soon he won't need binoculars because fools will be fools right in front of him.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-16-2013, 6:12 AM Reply   
Could also be monitoring a no wake zone, watching a raftup for idiots doing whatever, or at least in TX registration stickers are different colors for different years...don't need to see the #.

I hope it is boobs. Lake cops can be jerks but they also have to put up with tons of stupid stuff and people all day long. Having up to date stickers, proper safety equipment, not being that guy...all the low hanging fruit of being responsible.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-16-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
Having some whiskey. It looks like a set of those Bar-Noculars.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
This photo was taken in a 5mph zone at lake tulloch 2 weeks ago. You don't need binoculars to see Speeding its very easy to see the wake
Wash from a wake surf speed boat ect. It's a narrow long section. Most of the boats in this section of the lake are parked or drifting. So it's not like they are going any where fast and getting away from anyone. It's a slow time of year so it's not like they need to scan as many boats as they can cause they don't have the man power to look at each and everyone. I think they are using them to just peer in on you before they drive by you. IMO the cops don't NEED to be doing this. They do it because they can and they like someone above said "they have dozens of legitamate reasons why they can use them" and IMO it creates ill will between people and cops. I don't like the fact that Im being spyed on by Big Brother. I don't mind them doing their job to keep everyone safe. Another person said Low hanging fruit. I agree their is Enough obvious violations or people breaking the law that they don't need to be doing what they are doing.

If you think it's ok for them to sit and look at you from a distance so they can see how you are socializing SO they can prevent a crime that has not even happend. That seems like a pretty far stretch for me. What if every time you went to a bar or dinner you had the cops sitting outside looking at you the whole time. (So that they could make sure your not drinking and then gonna drive) Is that OK? Now lets try it with your wife and your daughters in bikinis. Is it still ok?

IMO if the cops want to PREVENT potential crimes all they need to do is have a presence. Simply driving around and keeping a eye in things & letting people know of their presence is a deterrent. I respect the cops and welcome their presence but I don't like the feeling of a invasion of privacy from the cops.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-16-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
So you'd rather have the lake cops continually patrolling the waterways throwing up unnecessary rollers instead of monitoring from a distance? Gotcha.

Grant, I'm gonna pm you a link to my friends company. Get you some decent binoculars!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-16-2013, 9:48 AM Reply   
I'm not bragging, but the cops on our river are actually pretty cool. Most of them ride. The sherif has a VLX. I've never gotten a ticket, but I have been sent home for not enough CGA vests. They were cool about it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
grant, maybe they are into the fellas and are actually checking YOU out! Do you feel violated? Your wife and daughter are safe, but your wife is gonna be pissed!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
Train: I would rather them drive around kind of like how land police operate. I think its quite effective for them to do lap's around party cove and other popular spots ect. this lets people know the cops are here and you better be on your best behavior. IMO its far more effective to be visible and out in the public eye then to be looking in from a distance. I would rather them pull up and say Hi then them stare in at you from 1/2 mile away then drive by like they don't know you. And for the record I think our guys are cool as well Im just now down eye in the sky big brother type of surveillance. in the end we all want the same thing. To enjoy the outdoors with friends and family safely.

And one more thing. I bet most of us boaters don't need Binoculars to spot the trouble makers or potential red flags.

Last edited by grant_west; 05-16-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-16-2013, 12:27 PM Reply   
Not sure how I would feel about this. To be honest no one really knows our bui laws in NC. I get conflicting stories. Our lake cops don't do much but check for vests, registration, extinguisher, etc. They roll through the cove and see us drinking but never make much of a fuss. I also feel that the cops around here feel out attitude more than anything. One thing I know is that if I have 8 people in the boat I'm getting pulled if they see us. The binoculars wouldn't bother me much unless they were just staring at skirt all day. On a side thought wouldn't you just stare at bunnies all day too?

Quote:
And one more thing. I bet most of us boaters don't need Binoculars to spot the trouble makers or potential red flags.
Our guys here are not what I would call "boaters". I had one swamp my boat at hyco lake hauling butt through a no wake. He apologized but it was obvious he was not a "boater"
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-16-2013, 12:53 PM Reply   
I hate getting involved in these things but this is absurd. No one is being spied on or violated. You are in a public place with no expectation of privacy. That's like saying anyone in party cove is spying on your girl. REDICULOUS . You want privacy stay in your house that's one of the few places it exists.

According to Grants idea I shouldn't be allowed to use binocs to watch the drug tip, do surveillance on armed robbery crews, or monitor houses we are about to hit with a search warrant. That's an insane logic. You are on the public way you now have no privacy period.
If they are gathering info on boats who are drinking and saving that for later how is that bad in any sense? Rules on the water about boarding boats are much less restrictive than getting in your vehicle. You don't like it sell your rig

And who really cares if they have an occasional babe spotting. You're all telling me you all do nothing but work your entire 9 hr shift at whatever you do? I call bs. I guarantee you do some type of personal business during that time whether it be as small as sending a text , email, or taking a call. However when a coppur takes 5 mins to himself the public cries foul. Hell we cant even sit and eat lunch without stares. If you're in an area where you think the police should be chasing murderers and drug dealers all day you may want to move. Drunks are one of the leading causes of non medical related deaths each year. Quite frankly I have zero tolerance for them when operating 4000lb plus deadly weapons with no brakes. I have seen way to many children wiped out by morons. So any measure police can take to give them an advantage I am all for.

So spying with binocs is not okay, but profiling idiots n drunks is? That makes sense

Anybody think they are at a distance so they don't make people get all uptight and let them have a good time with some supervision from a distance on a slow day? I can tell you you can easily read reg numbers with a decent pair of binocs. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by xstarrider; 05-16-2013 at 1:01 PM.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-16-2013, 12:53 PM Reply   
checking registration stickers, making sure kids have vests on, and looking for people drinking alcohol..... That's how they do it at my lake.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-16-2013, 1:07 PM Reply   
Those guys are amateurs, the fuzz on my lake roll with these:
Attached Images

Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-16-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
In AZ the Sheriff and the Forest Service regularly cruise the shore line in a pickup truck with binoculars. If you listen to the scanner you can hear them talking backing forth with the Sheriff at the office and those in boats. They routinely joke about the woman on the boats in addition to figuring out who they are going to ticket.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-16-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brearly_Mason View Post
In AZ the Sheriff and the Forest Service regularly cruise the shore line in a pickup truck with binoculars. If you listen to the scanner you can hear them talking backing forth with the Sheriff at the office and those in boats. They routinely joke about the woman on the boats in addition to figuring out who they are going to ticket.
Which lake? What band are they using? CB or VHF? Id like to get a VHF and my HAM license this year.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-16-2013, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
checking registration stickers, making sure kids have vests on, and looking for people drinking alcohol..... That's how they do it at my lake.
Yep, same here... wish there was more of them out on the lakes, there already are enough crazies out there drinking and creating problems... I finally saw a Sheriff patrolling a local lake we visit last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I am always amazed how many people don't have any idea of rules and regulations for boating...
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-16-2013, 4:51 PM Reply   
Bartlett. They can be heard on VHF:

[1A] West West – Dispatch [Dig-P25] TG: 43120 MC

[5A] East East – Dispatch [Dig-P25] TG: 43248 MC

individual areas can be heard up and down the sidebands though.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-17-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
There is a difference in watching someone that is already a suspect and just spying on individuals looking for someone to be suspicious of. While what that sherriff boat was doing may not have been technically wrong, as was said there are plenty of violations in plain sight to keep those guys busy enough. It's like those speed traps in places where it is difficult to maintain the posted speed limit without riding the brakes and perfectly safe to go a little faster. Just making a quick buck. There just isn't any justification for doing things that way. A cop can easily go out and write legitmate tickets all day long like shooting fish in a barrel. This type of behavior only reinforces the bad public image for LEOs shared by many.