Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-04-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
I want to install an ignition tune up kit on my boat and I am looking for some instruction. I was hoping the kit would come with some directions but it didnt. It is the prestolite kit with a new cap, rotor, points and condensor. Is there anything to look out for? How do you gap the points? Do you need any special tools?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-04-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
You set the points with a feeler gauge when they are at max open on the lobe. Then you really need a timing light to set the timing after you install new points.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-04-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Don't do it. Now is the time to replace your points with a Pertronix igniter. You'll never have to mess with them again.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-04-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Chris, give me a call. My company carries a full line of Pertronix ignition products. I would put in an igniter kit like John recommended and also put in a new Pertronix Coil. I put one in in my old Ski Nautique. It is super easy and after you install it you never have to change the points or condenser or worry about aligning the points. 1-800-234-2981.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-04-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
Pertronix, the only way to go
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-04-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Change out the points for an electronic device. Much more reliable and they usually just bolt in. Then check that the timing is correct.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-04-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
Another vote for going electronic. See if you can return your tune kit and get an electronic distributor. You can check out some HEI units that have an integrated coil - usually have to changes wire set if you do that though.

(Message edited by bmartin on April 04, 2008)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-04-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
+1 electro
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-04-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
HEI all the way, cant miss with electronic ignition..I second changing wires as well, also plugs while you are at it wouldnt be a bad idea so all is fresh.