Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-27-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
Well headed to the lake today for an afternoon trip with a few buddies. As I was about 1/8 mile from the exit(luckily) I felt a hard vibration. I happened to glance in my side view mirror to see my trailer wheel fly off the trailer and roll up the hill next to me, faster than I was going!

I exited and my buddies who were on their way pulled off and found the wheel. Luckily, no damage to anyone or anything. Fender has a big rash from the wheel. Center cap is a gonner as is the bearing buddy.

Goodyear tire shop was only 3 miles away, which is where I'm sitting, awaiting parts. ALL 5 STUDS SHEARED OFF THE DRUM!!! The guy that has worked here for over 10 years has never seen all 5 shear off!

I had him check and retorque all the other lugs. Back wheel was 100- 120 lb/ft. One wheel was 150-200lb/ft! In his "expert opinion" the lugs were waaaay too tight to do this kind of damage.

I check before I go out every other time. Admittedly not with a torque wrench or impact. I have a short 1/2" ratchet (8" handle or so) to just make sure they aren't loose. I'm 5'6 and weigh 150. There is no way I could ever tighten them this much. This is the third time I've taken it out and the lugs have never been loose or tightened by me. I've only checked that they aren't loose.

Could have been so much worse. I'm thankful that this is all that has happened...but I'm pissed that it did happen!