Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-30-2013, 6:57 AM Reply   
Last week I found a bouy washed up on shore, bit large for my boat but the price was good(free). A few years ago I salvated a 14ft v-bottom jon boat. Contacted the owner who never picked up the boat. I was wondering what other people have found.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-30-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
We found a life jacket floating in the water on Sunday. Added it to the collection. Wasn't super nice or anything but it never hurts to have extras on board.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
In the shallows /shoreline of Lake Powell I pulled up a Leatherman all-purpose tool. It is stainless, so with a little clean up it was like new. Still in the boat tool box today, 5 years later.
Old     (huntingwiley)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-30-2013, 7:46 AM Reply   
My daughter was swimming around an Island in about 12' of water. She dove down and came up with a $20. LOL
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-30-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
mesh bag full of 18 cold full beers
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-30-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
I've found bumpers, given some back to their owners. Bouys. Barrels. A floaty tube which actually is a great tool to float out to the mooring on a cool misty morning. That thing saw more use than any of us ever thought. We were wakesurfing and we drove by it and I jumped off the surf and dove through the center haha.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
I've found a life jacket, coozies, a fender, $20 bill floating in a party cove. Our friend found a brand new Ronix wakeboard with bindings 2 years ago with the tags still on it. Turned it into lost & found at the lake and noone claimed it after 30 days so they called her and she got it back and sold it on CL. Win for her since she doesn't wakeboard.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2013, 8:11 AM Reply   
We should also have a "what has the lake taken from you" thread. That one might be even more fun!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-30-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
yea i was about to say. my first board and binding set. it was a 2005 or 6 LF model that Ben Greenwood rode. It was out of sight on the swim platform when were inexperienced. Didn't put it up. Drove away and didn't notice anything wrong for 15 minutes. Got back to where it would have floated off within 10 minutes. Gone. Couldn't figure which boat snagged it. Post reward at the marina. Nothing
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-30-2013, 10:05 AM Reply   
Lost a box anchor in 16' of murkey water 2 yrs ago.......puleed into the same cove over the 4th, and snagged it with the new anchor! 2 yrs on the bottom and she still works great! I even commented on how our not so great anchor was holding us in the wind, and that we needed a new box anchor that same day!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirwoody View Post
Lost a box anchor in 16' of murkey water 2 yrs ago.......puleed into the same cove over the 4th, and snagged it with the new anchor! 2 yrs on the bottom and she still works great! I even commented on how our not so great anchor was holding us in the wind, and that we needed a new box anchor that same day!
That's pretty awesome!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-30-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
Last week I snatched a brand new rope and handle package that was floating in the middle of the lake. Nothing special but again free is free.
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-30-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
Just picked up a big bumper/fender last Saturday haha. Way bigger than I need but it sure keeps my boat off the dock!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-30-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
Last week I snatched a brand new rope and handle package that was floating in the middle of the lake. Nothing special but again free is free.
You probably saved someone a really ****ty afternoon of pulling rope out of a prop too
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
We found a nice knee board, if there is such a thing, floating at a local lake. Looked to nice to keep so I listed it on a local classified ad in the lost and found section. Asked to give proof: date, time and location, etc... The owner contacted me within a day. They were very happy, said it cost $200 and had been used once. I felt good about myself that day. I am still waiting for karma to send me some endless glass.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-30-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
I was swimming around the end of my dock a couple years ago and felt with my feet something big and round. Bowling ball.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Years ago we stumbled upon a bloated dead body floating down the Kings River in California. We didn't pull it out just pushed it to the side until it got caught in some bushes before floating by a campsite. Then we waited for the Sheriff to launch and come drag it out.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-30-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
I helped pulled a fat chick that broke her back jumping off a bridge across our main channel behind a boat once(couldn't get her up the cliffs).
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-30-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
Found a nice shane set-up in the river a few years ago. We knew the boat, but not the people on it. Two years later I saw the boat pass by and I flagged them down. They were stoked.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-30-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
Found a new surf board floating in the water a couple of years ago. I recognized it was from another boat nearby. Took it over to them and they had not realized it was even gone.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-30-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
Watched a jet boat t-bone a pontoon last saturday (both parties we're ok), found a GoPro floating around where it happened and returned it to the jet boat owner. He wasn't too thrilled, since his boat was in pieces. I felt good about it though!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-30-2013, 12:48 PM Reply   
Not sure a dead body with 14 gunshot wounds would be considered a treasure but hey it came from the lake.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-30-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
every fender I own, I found on the lake, also found a Smith an Wesson Hatchet/knife combo
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-30-2013, 2:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Not sure a dead body with 14 gunshot wounds would be considered a treasure but hey it came from the lake.
So I'm not the only one who has had that experience.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Man, I'll skip the dead bodies part...
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       07-30-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
+1 dead body. My friends have gone down with scuba gear to the "tie up" spot on the American River at the end of the season. They came back with a couple anchors, lots of sunglasses, pocket knives, etc.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-30-2013, 3:46 PM Reply   
One spring my brother and I were out on Utah Lake and we saw a wing of an Ultra Light glider sticking out of the water. (It had crashed in the fall) We start tugging on the thing with dreams of taking it home and getting it running. Then the thought popped into our heads that we couldn't remember if the news had said that they ever found the body. We stopped tugging and told the sheriff. - No body, but a close call.

One very low water year at Lake Powell, we pulled out a 1965 Johnson motor that had been buried in mud for a loooong time. Took it home, got it running and sold it.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-30-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
Lost an anchor once and my friend who was just starting to get crazy into scuba went down for a while to look for it. He didn't find the anchor we lost but he picked up about 5 others.

Once we went out to pick up a milk carton with a red shirt attached that had been dropped into the lake by a low flying plane. Turned out to be a message attached for one of our neighbors.
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2013, 3:53 PM Reply   
last week was anchored and when we went to pull anchor came up with 2 it was like new with a anchor buddy bungee attached
found a really nice slalom ski few years ago
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-30-2013, 3:58 PM Reply   
Just a couple weeks ago at Pine Lake in Bristol Connecticut me and some friends pulled out a loaded .45.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-30-2013, 4:02 PM Reply   
Couple Years Ago They Drained One Of our Lakes Around 50% We Ended Up Finding A Mid 80S Jeep Wrangler
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-30-2013, 4:25 PM Reply   
who was murdered with that?
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-30-2013, 4:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
Couple Years Ago They Drained One Of our Lakes Around 50% We Ended Up Finding A Mid 80S Jeep Wrangler
Actually it was late 1960's Jeepster Commando!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
Found a jet ski floating down the river. I noticed that it matched another one tied up to a dock upriver so we towed it to that dock and tied it off. Also watched a life vest fly out of a boat, picked it up and hauled butt trying to catch up to the owners but they were nowhere to be found.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-30-2013, 5:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brearly_Mason View Post
Actually it was late 1960's Jeepster Commando!
Ha ha ha, I remember it at least being a jeep...
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-30-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
You stole my life jacket, you prick!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2013, 9:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
You stole my life jacket, you prick!
Lol
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-31-2013, 3:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
You probably saved someone a really ****ty afternoon of pulling rope out of a prop too
That's the main reason I grabbed it. Hate that someone didn't have their rope when they needed it but it is way worse to wrap a prop, unless it got sucked into the intake of a Jetski.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-31-2013, 4:10 AM Reply   
Years ago fishing with cousins a fish stole a fishing pole off the dock- cousin eating breakfast with the worm out. Hours later another cousin caught the pole with the fish. Everyone had a good laugh over that one. It was probably 8 hours later. In retrospect, the fish probably couldn't swim very well pulling an anchor of a pole haha
Old     (BWB745)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-31-2013, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Just a couple weeks ago at Pine Lake in Bristol Connecticut me and some friends pulled out a loaded .45.
No football fans in here I guess.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-31-2013, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB745 View Post
No football fans in here I guess.
I guess not. I thought I would get some reaction.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-31-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
A millionaire buddy of mine from college and I were just up by that lake. Ha had to take care of some business - gangster style. I just toured the ESPN facility.
Old     (LTRGUY261)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-31-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertstone9 View Post
last week was anchored and when we went to pull anchor came up with 2 it was like new with a anchor buddy bungee attached
found a really nice slalom ski few years ago
Not at Emigrant Lake by Ashland by any chance were you? I just lost one a couple weeks ago with a brand new yellow anchor buddy attached.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-31-2013, 8:16 AM Reply   
I pulled my buddies 2013 Mastercrap X25 out after it wouldn't start on his 1st day out!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-31-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
lost our 52ft x24ft houseboat to the bottom of the lake after it was severely damaged in a big storm one year. its still down there with almost everything still in it. Sent a remote control submarine down to video it and assess the damage. too deep to really recover as its in a 300ft deep valley. Creepy to see titanic like footage of something that's yours and grew up on.
Old    Paxdad            07-31-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
I pulled my son up on his Slingshot last night... Does that count???
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-31-2013, 4:47 PM Reply   
i found a floating pic nic table in the rivers in pgh pa. Unfortunately i found it the hard way by hitting it with my boat. This was 6 years ago, but someone thought it would be funny to float it down stream and i was the lucky one to find it.
Old     (Phoenix_Winch)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-31-2013, 5:56 PM Reply   
awesome thread, over the years I've found several bumpers, a 3 lb ball peen hammer which I've used so much I've replaced the handle a few times, an oar we keep on board for emergencies, an extra anchor we fished out with our anchor, chain, sun glasses, a trash can, an aluminum sliding door frame, rope, and prob alot more I don't remember
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-31-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
I caught a fish once that broke my line and took my favorite lure. Then next spring I found the lure on the shore. I straightened out the hook and took it fishing again. Caught another big bass that broke my line and took the lure again. I guess it was just meant to be in the lake.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-31-2013, 11:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
I caught a fish once that broke my line and took my favorite lure. Then next spring I found the lure on the shore. I straightened out the hook and took it fishing again. Caught another big bass that broke my line and took the lure again. I guess it was just meant to be in the lake.
Now that is funny.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-31-2013, 11:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
I pulled my buddies 2013 Mastercrap X25 out after it wouldn't start on his 1st day out!
I've towed two of those newer ones (refuse to call them what you called them). The last one was broken down and beached in a Lake Shasta cove and I towed it to the closest dock. Long 3 hour round trip on that one and hardly a thank you either not to mention gas money. Never again...
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-01-2013, 5:28 AM Reply   
Oh I have a fishing story! My brother and I were shoreline fishing and I was walking by him to fish a diferent spot. At the same time my brother went to cast and hooked my glasses right on the bridge, then proceeded to cast them out into the lake. The amazing part is that he reeled them back in. I was that close to a hook in my nose.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-01-2013, 6:28 AM Reply   
We were trying to set an anchor in party cove on lake Lewisville once and couldn't get a bite at all. It was only 12 ft so I volunteered to swim down and see if I could burry it. There was a layer at least 2ft thick of beer cans. I've always said that I wanted to take some scuba gear out there. Heck, the scrap metal alone could be worth thousands.
Old     (BWB745)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-01-2013, 7:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemarktwain View Post
Oh I have a fishing story! My brother and I were shoreline fishing and I was walking by him to fish a diferent spot. At the same time my brother went to cast and hooked my glasses right on the bridge, then proceeded to cast them out into the lake. The amazing part is that he reeled them back in. I was that close to a hook in my nose.
Haha, talk about a close call
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-01-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I've towed two of those newer ones (refuse to call them what you called them). The last one was broken down and beached in a Lake Shasta cove and I towed it to the closest dock. Long 3 hour round trip on that one and hardly a thank you either not to mention gas money. Never again...
No gas money or thank you? My god that is rude. My old moomba's starter went out in the center of the party at Seafair a few years ago. Lucky that someone in our yachtclub recognied my boat or the flag and towed us back. It took about an hour and a half or so. My friends ended up giving the guy at least a $100 as a thank you.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2013, 8:19 PM Reply   
I was jumping into the water a few times then swam about 25 feet down with a mask and found a nice watch. After returning to the surface I realized it was my watch! The strap was broken so I stuck it into my flipper. When I got home I could not find the watch.I lost it twice that day.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-10-2013, 10:37 PM Reply   
My wife's family rents a house on Lake Coeur d'Alene every year. 2 years ago a storm came up and washed all the lawn chairs and tables off the dock into about 40' of water. I made a "grapple" out of rebar and tied a rope to it to hook everything and bring it up. Last year someone jumped in and lost their sunglasses. After looking with goggles and a snorkel we couldn't find them. One toss of the "grapple" and they were hooked without a scratch.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-11-2013, 5:01 PM Reply   
We have a house on the lake and we find stuff all the time. A small trampoline blow up tube, old wooden oar, old school single ski, patio umbrella, couple dock bumpers, fold up lawn chair and old O'Brien life jacket.

My buddy threw my achor in the lake and forget to tie it off to the boat, we all watched as the achor rope flew into the lake and down to the bottom. We put goggles on and searched for it, but it was way to deep. Now every time we drop anchor we make sure we tie it off to the boat first. Duh.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-11-2013, 5:14 PM Reply   
I have found the normal, boat fender, fishing lures, tubes, ball, my trash cans which blew in the lake from the house, my wallet from 30 feet deep with a underwater cam mounted to a net with a longgggg pole, but I think the coolest is my buddies $4000 rc gas helicopter with go pro attached that he lost while filming and putting on a air show for a party at my house. After dragging for a day then a diver for half a day we wait for the lake to drop and recovered 6 months later. Go pro was still ok and helicopter was somewhat salvageable.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-11-2013, 5:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermaster View Post
My wife's family rents a house on Lake Coeur d'Alene every year. 2 years ago a storm came up and washed all the lawn chairs and tables off the dock into about 40' of water. I made a "grapple" out of rebar and tied a rope to it to hook everything and bring it up. Last year someone jumped in and lost their sunglasses. After looking with goggles and a snorkel we couldn't find them. One toss of the "grapple" and they were hooked without a scratch.
You pulled up singlasses with a rebar grappling hook!? thats impressive!

I used a big magnet i got from harbor freight tied to a string and pulled up some random stuff.
Old     (Supravol22)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-11-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
Not a lake story but I was deep sea fishing with my friend and he dropped his rod in the ocean (not sure how). Anyway, our guide was freaking out since it was an expensive rod. We drive around to other spots for a few hours (nowhere near where he dropped it), and I get a bite and haul up this rod. Guide said that no one would ever believe it since the currents down there could've had it halfway to Europe.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2013, 11:47 PM Reply   
Well, found something pretty interesting today on the lake! It was my cousin! He was with his family on the beach and saw us off shore. He jumped in and started to swim out. We were just about to leave and he yelled for us. So, we picked him up.....and we all went surfing.
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       08-12-2013, 10:48 AM Reply   
I rescued a friends wedding ring that she dropped while pulling her hair back. Thanks to my instant reflexes diving off the boat, caught it about 3 ft.below water. Of course, it actually turned out to be her hair bow and she still thanked me for my selfless act of bravery. Not sure where that acid flashback came from, but I could have sworn it was her ring :-)
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-12-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
True story, on Lake Tulloch last season we started to get some prop vibration, I immediately knew something was wrong. Jumped in water with goggles and pulled an old sandle and banana peel off our prop, it had wrapped around it. Pretty crazy, who would have ever thought...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-24-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
Similar to KDA while coming from off shore fishing at dusk about 2 miles off-shore I saw something flash by the starboard side. I looked at my buddy in disbelief and we both said the same thing, "was that a person?" A scuba diver had lost his boat and diver buddies and had drifted about 3 miles north when we found him. He was happy to see us and that was the only time I have ever picked up a hitchhiker.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-24-2013, 9:48 PM Reply   
Pulled out an anchor, anchor buddy, and buoy at Shasta this last week. We thought we were seeing an obstacle marker next to our houseboat, so we dove down and found out it was a buoy. With a little bit of effort we were able to retrieve it from the lake. The anchor is garbage, but the rest of the setup is okay (some wear from being underwater a while...most likely a year plus.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       08-26-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
Out at Joe Pool Lake's party cove I've managed to recover 7 anchors in 3 years while pulling up my own anchor, including one that was big enough for a houseboat. I kept 2 of them as backups/extras for windy days, and turned in 2 of them until I found out the marina was "selling" them to the people who lost the anchors off the rental boats they have. Thought I was doing a good deed, but turns out those guys at the marina are a bunch of thieves (should've known by their gas and board prices). Now I've got a few extra anchors hanging up in the shed out back just in case I lose one.

Back on Greers Ferry Lake where I grew up the water was ridiculously clear (compared to Texas lakes anyway...) we would scuba dive around the A-bluffs at Dam Site Park where all the cliff jumpers would hang out. Guys would come in with their boats and anchor out off the cliffs to jump and swim, along with the campers who were staying in A-site. That stretch of water was a treasure trove of goodies for us in high school. I was the only guy in my school (staff included) who was wearing a Rolex thanks to that area of the lake. Found numerous wallets, sunglasses, rings, necklaces, watches, cameras (most weren't salvagable), and a ton of pocket knives/multitools. Not sure if anyone still searches that area anymore, but it's been 10+ years since I've made a dive around there and can only imagine what goodies are down there now.
Old    Paxdad            08-28-2013, 5:46 AM Reply   
I pulled up my anchor this weekend and there was a bunch of mud stuck to it. So I guess that I actually pulled up part of the lake bottom!!! I must be really bored....
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-28-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
A whole boat.

Some wooden 20 foot boat with an old Evinrude engine. It was sunk and got loose. At the time I was like 15 and it BLEW MY MIND. I was by myself, it was windy and heading toward my Dad's CC Mustang 16 and I didn't know what to do with the thing. It was submurged to the windshield. It was errie to see and swim around. I tied it to my anchored mooring in front of the house and someone came and got it that night. Other than that I have picked up a few life jackets and stuff like that nothing tremendous. I know there are like 4 submurged slalom courses at the bottom of my lake, a few boats a handful of snowmobiles. I've always dreamed of what my lake would look like if it was drawn out 100%
Old     (Kohlieo)      Join Date: Apr 2012       12-22-2013, 8:11 PM Reply   
Last season we found a leach infested dell laptop near shore lol
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-22-2013, 10:07 PM Reply   
I'm sure you'll be able to pull a TON of Seahawks fans' egos up off of the bottom of Lake Washington tomorrow. Hahaha. Go Hawks! (not really)