Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-25-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
I'm in the market and tracked down a nice 02 limited ultimate with a 7.3, 4x4, under 100k, price seems fair to high. I noticed new speed sensor lines, brake lines and wheel well liners at all four corners. Then noticed the steering stabilizer was squashed. The front end otherwise seemed normal, no welds or joints looked new and I couldn't see any cracked either. Truck doesn't look abused, tracks straight under acceleration and braking, no rattles or clunking. I've owned a Duramax for last 7 years, so I'm not new to diesels, just new to Furds...

Were/are there issues with the brakes?
Stabilizer looks low to the ground, any thing to worry about?
Any other front end issues?
New well liners seem cheap & flimsy, were originals junk too?

I'm not local to the truck, so "take it to your local trusted mechanic" is out. Looks like the Ford dealer nearby might be my only option to get it checked out...
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-25-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have an 05 that was salvaged, lots of body damage. I bought it because the truck ran great, shifted great and had no mechanical issues.

Not sure about the liners, does it have a body lift? if so most guys replace the liners to help cover the gaps from the body lift.

Mine sat for a while before it was fixed so I have a bad brake caliper, but other then that Excursions are worth every penny. What is he asking for the X? From what you described it should not be high KBB, there seems to be obvious repairs to it. Not that it de values it much, there are very limited qtys of those trucks for sale. I bought my 05, 6.0PSD, 4x4, Limited, 69K miles about 2 years ago for 13K with a salvage title, the same truck non-salvaged ran 22 to 26K with same options and similar miles.

Summit Racing sells stabilizer kits from 89 to 300 bucks, I just picked up the Bilstien version last month. I would just replace them for peace of mind.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-25-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
Front brake rotors tend to warp and pulse. Brakes must be drained and refilled every other year or you will be replacing the brake system - sensitive to water in fluid. Cruise control tends to go out and need a jumper installed to work. Electrical system is weak and tends to have difficulties in wet weather - keep WD-40 handy. Relays tend to blow, so keep a spare in the glove box.

I have a V-10 version and like it. Very solid vehicle with the exceptions noted above. Nothing else on the market like it - enormous capabilities as a tow vehicle. Get cross-drilled rotors and fade-resistant brake pads all around for heavy towing. At 7,900 lbs, they have to be heavy duty. I have smoked my stock versions in the mountains.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-25-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
BTW Low mileage 7.3Ls generally demand a premium. That engine has the best reputation of any of the Ford diesels in recent history. Combine that with the fact that the vehicle isn't made anymore and you are going to have to pay if it's in decent shape.
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-25-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
We have an 04 6.0 and love it. pulls the boat great.
Old     (BWB745)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-25-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
7.3 is a very sought after engine.

I have no personal knowledge of Excursions, but love the look of them.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-25-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have an 01 V10 and love it. I got 125K miles on it, and still won't part with it. Save your pennies for brakes, they tend to go through them quickly. Also check the paint on older ones. They are to big for most garages, so they stay outside. I repainted mine last year, because the paint was starting to lift and peal. A cheap repaint on a truck that big costs a pretty penny. I worked in a body shop at the time, so I did alright. Other than that, I've had no issues.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
Pulled the trigger and picked it up Saturday morning. I couldn't find anything wrong with front end or brake system and the wife liked driving it. I was thinking about this song the whole way home...