Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2010, 5:12 AM Reply   
Recently bought a vride and have a pair of wet sounds pro 60's on the tower. A buddy had an old amp that he was not using that I had been powering with but it seems it is going out. It does fine for a while but then it heats up I guess and starts distorting the tower speakers. I don't want to ruin these two new speakers so i guess I need to install a new amp. I am not looking to break the bank on this but want to make a good decision. Some things to factor in I guess is that I may add a sub to the boat this winter and may want to power the four cabin speakers at some point. Can anyone point me in the right direction on an amp? Thanks.
Old     (metalic_era)      Join Date: May 2010       05-18-2010, 6:01 AM Reply   
I don't know what kind of power the WS will take/need but you might look into the Memphis MC5.700 It's NOT a marine amp if that concerns you. I don't have one but I was talking to the Memphis dealer yesterday and he was telling me about them and he loads them down pretty heavy with no problems. I don't have tower speakers yet but I wanted to run a 5 channel but I don't know if they would have enough power. Arc audio also makes a good 5 channel.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
If your dead set on buying a new amp by all means buy one, but it sounds like your current amp may be fine. More an installation/settings/user error than an amp problem. What amp are you currently running?
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
It is a JL Audio M6600. I am running the two tower speakers bridged. Like I said. The operate fine for several hours then the amp evidently heats up or something and the speakers begin popping and distorting. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Thanks.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
That's a good amp. Shoudl be enough power ( bridged for the pro 60's) .

What voltage are you seeing at the amp when it starts to get hot? ( when voltage decreases, current draw increase= more heat)

Waht are the gains set on the amp? any line drivers pushing in to the amp?
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
I don't have a volt meter. The gains are set on about medium. I will have to go uncover the boat see exactly where. No line drivers pushing into the amp. Thanks for you help and let me know if you have any suggestions.