Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-18-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
I'm a beginner rider. I'm going to buy a board and was wondering what level of board i should invest in. I've been snowboarding for 3 season now and i don't know how much of that will cross over into wakeboarding? If so could i buy a board at the intermediate level or should i go with a beginner board? Or does it really matter what level board i start out on?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-18-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
I personally don't think it matters. I learned to ride on a byerly and have never ridden a beginner board. Maybe get a continuous rocker rather than a 3 stage to learn on.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-18-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
buy something inexpensive. Until you get a feel for what kind of board you like, you might as well save some money. If I were you, I would look for an 04-05 Temet or Murray, usually you can find those super cheap, and they are a great beginner board (it's what I started on). Whatever you go with, I would probably get a continuous rocker (a little more forgiving landings/takeoffs), and a GOOD set of bindings.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-18-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
get a new O'brien Player from www.the-house.com there are great for riders of all abilites!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-18-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
Matt ~~ I would suggest setting up with your local shop and getting on their demo program. Here they put the money for what you have tested to your final purchase. I didn't do that and three board later I have found one I ride the best on.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-18-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
The one that Demo's the best for your ability
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-18-2007, 3:30 PM Reply   
Do the demo daddio.
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-18-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
thanks for the input guys. I'd love to demo some boards but i live in Iowa and there isn't any board shop around for hours. i was thinking maybe the Hyperlite Motive or the Liquid Force Fish. What do ya think? I'd really like the Ronix Covin but that might be a bit much for a beginner.
Old    alanp            02-18-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
dont get the fish. get a beginner board
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-18-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Garret brought up a good about da '04 Temet/'05 Murray, they are good all around shapes. I still have a '04 138 that I ride every now and then. I think the '05 has larger removable fins. Anyway, good luck with da shoppin'.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
You could probably ride the covin. It's a continuous rocker. Look at this:http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/ronix_coven_wakeboards_07

Look at the Our Take tab. It says it is a good board for all levels of riders.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-19-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
Demoing will allways be the best thing to do but if you like the look of the Ronix covin I would suggest taking a good look at the Ronix frontier. Its a super friendly board that any beginner could start on but still really high performance, wont ever hold you back and is well adpat for many riding styles. Rides so good, I love it.
Old     (hydeout22)      Join Date: May 2006       02-19-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Yeah, and most importantly, get the next size up rather than the next size down if you arn't sure. Bigger is better, I learn't the hard way. Especially for learning.