Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-08-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
i just got my brand new mobius XLV last week and i'm dying to try it out and go surfing but it's about 42 degrees here, i got a dry suit, but i'm not sure if it will be worth it, how cold do you guys surf in?
Old    4sher            12-08-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
42 is pretty cold. We are up in seattle and usually start up agin in April (although last year we were surfing a bunch in Feb). Make sure you have gloves and boots. For boots I use the Xcel Infinity split toe. They really work well. Good luck
Old    Johnny Wadd            12-08-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
When I was younger bro I use to put on my wetsuit when I left it outside and it had ice in it. Now that I am a little older my friends call me a "fair weather surfer." 42 is really cold. I don't usually go out below 54-56 degrees but I only have a 4/3 wetsuit. At 42 get a hood, booties, and some gloves and you'll be fine in a drysuit. You might get cold in the boat though.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-10-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
As long as there is liquid to surf on I will ride. I have been to Lucky Peak when there was ice near the shore but the middle was open. Surfing isn't too bad with a drysuit full hood and gloves and boots. I love it too much to stay off the water. It's hard to find a third in the winter in Idaho though.
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-11-2005, 9:42 PM Reply   
Where in Idaho are you from?
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-14-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
Jenny
I live in Caldwell and work in Boise.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-14-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Jenny, I see that you live in Kalispell. My husbands parents live in Libby. We take our boat to MT every summer. We usually ride Koocanusa, Bull Lake, Whitefish, Dicky Lake and Thompson Lake. Where do you ride?
Sue
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-18-2005, 9:33 PM Reply   
Sue-we usually ride Echo-Tally-Flathead and Dicky Lake. I love Dicky lake the water is so clear it reminds me of the Carribean only lots colder! Do you ride year round? I am dying to get out!!!!!!!!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-19-2005, 5:37 PM Reply   
Jenny,
I love Dicky Lake too! We discovered it two years ago and we couldn't believe how pretty the water was. We meet some people from Canada that just happened to be camping there. They were slalom skiers until we taught them to wakesurf. When we went back last August we the same people were there again. We were so surpised to find them again. They surfed with us for the day. I want to camp there this summer so we can stay at the Dicky Lake longer than just a day trip.
I do ride year around in a drysuit, booties and a hood. We usually go when it's in the 40's but I have ridden every New Years for the last 4 years. We are driving to Libby, MT for Christmas. If you want to ride let me know. Are the lakes frozen up there?
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
Sue
I would love to ride but I think that everything is frozen! Is everything frozen where you are?
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-20-2005, 6:25 AM Reply   
Jenny
We have a lake in Boise, Lucky Peak that is not frozen. They hold the Polar Bear Challenge there on New Years. It's a wakeboarding and waterskiing fund raiser for Make A Wish. Some times there is ice around the edges but the middle is good.
We will have to get together this summer.
Sue
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-30-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday at Lucky Peak near Boise, Id. Water temp. was 34 but I was warm in a drysuit with dry gloves and boots.
Dec. 29
sue