Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
I'm heading to Lake Powell this Wednesday through next Monday! I have never been there so if anyone has any comments, suggestions, etc. let me know. We are getting a houseboat from bullfrog marina and that is about all i know so far. What are they conditions like for riding?
Where should i avoid? Gas prices on the lake? Local lake police situation? Areas/obstructions to watch out for? If anyone is going to be out at powell and see's an all black LSV, stop by and say hi! Thanks in advance for the help!
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-23-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
When your in the main channel, stay next to the buoys since you're new to the area, don't try to take short cuts. Get a lake map. When you find an area you want to ride, idle around in that area first, before you go ride through it. It's better to find a rock at 2mph than it would be at 24mph. If the water is rough while you're towing the LSV behind the HB, put on your bow cover. It will prevent any water from getting in your boat should it take one over the bow. Lets see, what else...when you pick up your HB, they only come with 2 anchors. Before you leave the dock, ask them for 2 extra anchors. That way, when you get to where you are going to beach the HB, take one anchor off each side of the back of the HB, at about a 45* angle, and anchor them securely, then take the 2 extra anchors straight off the front of the HB. This is a real secure way to anchor a HB, especially at Powell, where the wind can pick up unexpectedly in the middle of the night. And have a lot of fun too...
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-23-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
Shane ~~ Ryan is right when he says get a map, with the lake being so low they sell a low water level map and it is great. You can always find good water at Powell but being the are rock walls your wake is sent right back to ya. It's better to find a long line to give the wake some time to calm down. If you fish hit some sheer cliffs and pull in some Striped Bass for good eating, and if the water starts to boil throw a hook and get em. Watch for storms they come up quick and strong some times. Have a blast and just take it all in and don't forget to share the photo's!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-23-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
i hate you shane, i wish i was going! :-(
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-24-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
you still can
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-24-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
If you have one, a hand held GPS is a good idea.

After you've tied the HB down and are convinced it's good enough, do it again to be sure. We've been going once a year for last 10 and have been through some MASSIVE wind storms and monsoons. It sucks to have the panic wake-up call in the middle of the nite when all the boats are banging off of rocks.

Try to put the HB where it will be protected from wakes, especially the wake from the Rainbow Bridge tour boat if you go down that far.

Save gas when your driving the HB (blimp) by just crusing. Screaming the engines may make you think you're going alot faster, but you may only be going 3 or 4 mph faster and burning twice as much fuel. Relax and enjoy the surroundings.

We go the first week of October which works out great as far as the crowds go. Less people = better water.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-24-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
I second the idea of getting extra anchors. When we hb we use 6 anchors. 4 from the back and two from the front. The storms can get pretty scary.
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-25-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Have fun, my parents are there today till tuesday. If they only loved me more they would take me... haha
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
thanks for the advice, can't wait to get there!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-25-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
Great info. I am going on my first Powell trip in a couple weeks. Have a blast!