Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-01-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Would the Murray board be a good board to learn tricks on????
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-01-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
His boards always have been in the past... I've not actually seen the new Murray up close but i'm sure that it is safe to say that it's not bad, there are worse! Lol, i'll go away now.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-01-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
It's all personal preference, we cannot tell you what board you will learn on and what board you wont :-)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-01-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
yeah what he said. All I can say is, that the murray is pretty user friendly like his past boards.
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
I would consider myself a beginner and I have the 2006 Murray and I love it. I took the center fins out and the board is awesome. It slips when I want and edges great.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-01-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
I put first time riders on my new shape and has been working great for all levels. continuous rocker tends to be the most user friendly rocker line, and with the spoon belly (rocker not only tip to tail, but side to side as well), it is a very forgiving board. My experience with 3 stage rocker is that the big flat spot tends to let you know when you are a little off by introducing you to some fish.
It is all personal preference so put your local shops demo program to good use. shaun
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-01-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
^^^This is why i think shaun murray is the best rider out there. He is the most involved pro wakeboarder in the sport. He is always trying to answer any questions anyone has about his pro models etc.

I Salute you Mr. Murray! This buds for you!
Old     (gratz)      Join Date: May 2005       04-01-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Just rode the murray for the first time I must say it was better than I expected. Solid smooth pop, soft landings, maybe a little too sticky but I will hit it up again tomorrow.
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-01-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for your input, pretty fun to have a response from "the man himself"! I've been riding a Parks and really like it but feel a little out of control when I try to jump. Were there many changes made from the 05 model?
Old    wakebmxer            04-01-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
no changes to the Parks Board. I just got the Murray Bindings and they feel incredible I think closed toe is gonna be the new way to go. I heard the Murray Board is fast and Pops good.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-01-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
I would hope it pops good with a 3.2" rocker. I am really excited to try this board out. I have been a really big fan of boards with big rockers but i always get the unfortunate side effect of them being 3 stage. Now with a continuous huge rocker, I am really excited to see how it rides.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-03-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
thanks for the props smylie! just like one of you guys but they let me design these crazy things.
jenny, the biggest changes were...
way more rocker, 3 stage feel on the pop off the wake, and a continous rocker ride..smooth solid landings, fun to butter around.
Molded in fins allow finless riding with no problem.
squared off tip and tail to give more clean snap off the wake and ollies.
and as small and trivial it may seem, i put a grab rail on both toe side and heel side of the board and it makes grabbing the board feel solid and helps you hold the grabs without slipping out.

lfxstar, some say its slower than my previous boards, but some say faster. its all rider opinion, so you just have to try for your self. later shaun
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-03-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
yeah, the grab rail. it was one of my favorite things. i thought the board was a little slower too but it only had that feeling when riding flat. with that much rocker, of course it's going to feel a little slow. plus, i was used to riding a subjekt(2.4 compared to 3.2 on the murray). when i got on edge the slowness pretty much went away.

jenny, i think you would like the murray a lot more than the parks, especially in the "controllable pop" dept. but you would probably like anything more than the parks. i have my own theory on that board.
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-04-2006, 6:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Shuan, I have an 06 Murray on the way! My husband says that I have to get new bindings(I have the red Parks bindings) can't have red bindings on a green board I guess! I am super stoked to try the board! Maybe someday I can even go to the Olynpics! The special Olympics that is!
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-04-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
hey Shaun,

I ride in Colorado mostly, and some lakes up above 9000 ft. Will your new bindings keep my feet warmer in the frigid Rocky Mountain runoff?? Also, have you had any issues with odors or overheating after a long set on hot summer days? Thanks for the info

Dave
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-04-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
I actually had a concern as well with the new murrays. I've tried them on and messed around with them but i'm a little hesitant. On my old parks if I land hard in the flats and a little heelside awkard my feet would actually jam through the binding. Obviously the closed toe will prevent the foot from slipping through but do you anticipate any problems with some broken bones, by the foot jamming into the end of the boot?
Thanks
Brett
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-04-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Hey Shaun, Do you remember me? I used to be neighbors with your aunt and uncle Yates in wisconsin until they moved. Ive met you a couple of times, once at Fort Fremont Marine and once at a watercraft sales demo days in Eagle river wisconsin. If you do thats awesome, if not, i understand. Keep up the good work on designing products and also riding, you have the best style and attitude of any wakeboarder i know.

Danny Smylie
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-04-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
I first got the Murray bindings early in the year and I liked them so much I just got the matching board
Seriously, the bindings are the most comfortable bindings I have ever had (and I've been wakeboarding since they had the skurfers). I used to have to stop my sets because of my feet cramping. All that is gone now... some other parts of the body now tell me to stop.
I tested all the HL boards and liked the Murray the best. Feels solid and reliable. It will be good for beginners as well. You can change the fins to bigger ones if needed, I ride without the fins.
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-06-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
back ttt for Shaun!
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       04-06-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Danny
I remember you at Lynda's in WI - I'm sure Shaun will as well (he's out of town). Good to hear from you.
Regards to your m & d
Lloyd
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-06-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
I went to a local shop in St Louis today and saw the new Murray for the first time. Wow! That thing has some serious rocker...it's like a banana!
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-07-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
Dave, i just did a shoot in nor cal where the water was 53 and the air was colder. Feet were super warm and when i was done and kicked my bindings off, my feet were freezing in the water. Danny rode the parks and his little piggy's were numb and stingy. So yes, they will make a big difference in cold temps.
Danny, yup, i remember you. recognized the name before you said anything.
Brett, the toe jam into the end of the bindings has been a concern of many people. I have shoved my foot into the end and hasn't been a problem. you have to try them on to see what is inside. they don't feel like they look.
banana...that's funny.
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
Get the Murray board, I have one right now and it is great. Later on I am getting a 05 Murray with Murray binding. Was that really shaun Murray that was giving you suggestions?
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-07-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
Just got my new 06 Murray board today! I am super excited to try it!
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-07-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
hey shaun thats awesome, im gonna ride a lot this summer and really improve my skills, especially now with my new murray bindings. But i am thinking of maybe coming down and doing your camp this fall/winter/spring sometime. I know it would rock, i have only heard good things about it. Keep up the awesome riding and hopefully you will swing through wisconsin and we can ride together.

danny smylie
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
Tyler...yeah that's him. There are a few pros who post here. Travis Moye also posts here. Super cool guys to be certain. Shaun...Cheryl "newton" and I are trying to figure out when we can come back to school...its been a year already. New board looks awesome. I guess it's time to trade in the Byerly!
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-08-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Is the Boarding School a really cool place? I met Shaun before and he is a really cool guy.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-08-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
Best Wakeboarding school there is, I mean you got Murray doin instuction what more could you ask for.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-08-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
is it true that HL is going to warranty replace the murray bindings no matter how they break..instead of fixing them??

thats what i heard and that would be a great selling point as much as bindings break now-a-days...

does anyboady know how much they weigh ,maybe using the new zeus as a comparison ..the new zeus are super light so how are trhe murrays??

also has anybody rode these and signaficant amount of time yet,how do they feel riding hard??
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-08-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
the new warranty on Hyperlite boots is 2 years for full replacement (no repairs), then nada. I think it makes since, because most people will upgrade after 2 years away, and if you have any legitimate issue it should show up within 2 years.
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
hey gratz... how was the south...

hey shaun... its good to see a rider take an interest in the grassroots part of the sport
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-08-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
Shaun,

Saw the ad in Wakeboarding Mag. Insinuated that Shaunster was BACK in 2006. Can't wait. The tourney's have been boring without you, man.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-09-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
I have the 04' Temet, which I don't remember being a whole lot different than the 05 Murray model, at least to my knowledge. I get great pop off the wake, throw EVERYTHING into the flats when I want, and go straight up when I do not want to. The best part about the board though, is the versatility factor...you can do so much that I just don't feel a three-stage would be succesful at, including some pretty bad looking slides!

Congrats on making a great product, I am still riding it two full years after purchase, and put it through an absolute beating.

Looking forward to seeing you in 06' man, the ad in Alliance got me stoked!
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-12-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
I can say that the new Murray is a darn good board... I had the honor(horror) of breaking his prototype on a double up!!! the board seems slower than previous murray shapes to me but when it pops it pops and you don't come up short... I think it just feels slower and the actual speeds are the same... that's good because you feel in control when approaching the wake. locked in.
just my .02$----

Alex
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-12-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
and it has a VERY consistent and predictable pop... not like a byerly or parks
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2006, 5:56 AM Reply   
Have you guys been riding the 06 Murray with or without the finnes?
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-13-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
Jenny,

Without the fins are great. The mold in fins are more than sufficient. I recommend pulling the fines off and getting used to it right out of the gate.
Old    auby            04-13-2006, 11:05 PM Reply   
Murrays products have always held a high stature in my book. I have riden his signature products since the very first murray board (rainbow strip down the middle of a white hyperlite board). The new board seems to be tweeked to not only fit biginners to pro-level riders, but also the to HELP OUT in many of the trick learning stages. Three stage rocker w/ new belly really allows for forgivness when being pushed in the air and landings, grab rail allows ease while learning new grabs(rather alone or included into a trick), and the molded fins really allow the rider to tweak the boards ride on water to fit their comfort level(more fins= more tracking, less fins = looser feel). The boots appear to be designed to allow for more flex (not as stiff as previous models). This really allows more forgivness in all aspects of learning anything on the board- Plus they are seriously comfy cutos to the new sock. All in all it really depends on the riders perference. Demoing a setup from the local boardshop is always your best answer.
Murray- it always good to hear from you. You really have personafied what I believe is the ideal wakeboarder and wakeboarding.
Hope to see you and your family at Lake Saint Louis soon- their all great people.
Later- Randy
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-15-2006, 4:45 AM Reply   
right, i've just demo'ed the murray 138 and thought it was a nice board, and boots really well once I started gettin back into it (my first set of the season).

it was really sluggish when flat on the water which I thought might be a nightmare on landings but once on edge it was fine (not too quick not too slow).

my main issue with it was how loose it was on landings, I'm 6ft1" so am thinking maybe the 138 is too small hence why its a bit twitchy on landings. ideally i'd go for 140 boards and feel like the 142 might be a bit big for comfort, i'd just feel that its a bit clumpy (if that makes sense).

does anyone else have this issue? would you recommend getting the 142?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-15-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone who has had such positive input on the board. Every two years I get to put out a new shape and it can be an exciting, yet stressful time. I want a board that I am pumped to ride, and want every level to be able to get up and start doing surface 180's with ease, all the way up to whirly 5's.
I am always open to hear what you guys have to say, because I try to use people's input when designing a board.
I kept hearing everyone say that they wanted more pop, so they went with 3 stage rocker boards. I didn't want to sacrifice the forgiveness and fun ride feel of continuous, so I came up with progressive rocker. That is where the belly is smooth continuous, and as you get to the tip and tail, the rocker increases. The proto's had more so you could really see the increase, but in the end, I went with just a slight increase to give you 3.2 (138 size) of progressive rocker. Hyperlite is calling it something else, and the 3DS is called abrupt continuous.
They came up with that because they needed a flat spot for the fins, so you can really see a kink in the rocker in that board line. Ended up working really well to give you that pop at the wake and still have a continuous belly.
Thanks again, and if you have input on any of my products, bindings, handles, boards, etc..., start thread and we can see what happens. shaun
Old     (djustice)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-16-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
Just purchased the 06 Murray bindings and couldnt be more pleased with them. My foot is a 10 wide and I purchased the mediums. Fits like a glove. Those who are worried about the toe jam issue, dont be. I landed flat yesterday and my foot slid a little forward but the material in the toe stretches. Did not hurt one bit. The closed toe actually kept my foot from sliding very much at all helping me maintain control. I have only used them for two days now, but from what I can tell, I am going to be very happy with these bindings. Doesnt hurt either that they are some of the best looking bindings out there.
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-20-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
Went out for the first time on Tuesday water temp 45 air 48. I love my new Murray board. I took the fins off and it feels great! I wish I had the 06 bindings, the feat got a bit cold!