Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
Just got back from the doc, and as I thought i have a torn ACL. Happened this weekend doing a backroll and landed on the lip of the wake weird and blam, TORN ACL. So pissed. already had my right knee reconstructed from a snowboard accident 10 yrs ago. Totally sucks. My seasons over and possibly my snowboard season as well. Sorry for the rant.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Rob that really sucks!

On the bright side, at least it's not May (ok, just trying to make you feel a little better)

Hey you can always come down to the river and hang with us! (and drive)
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Yep, really sucks. Haha, ill be designated driver for a while. Your right, got a good season in this year and ill be back on the water next yr. Things could be worse.
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-11-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
Rob,

Last year I tore my ACL Aug 9th. Got full flextion and extention before sugery on Sept 3rd. Snowboarded lighly but for 2 days straight in Northern Michigan Dec 15th and 16th. Then Rode 4 days spaced out in January......... Then, I was lucky enough to catch 12 days total throughout Feb March and April in Colorado and had my best snowboard year ever! Really progressed!

I worked my butt off from the day I got hurt. Didn't drink or party for 4 months till I got on that snowboard. If your life (i.e. family) and work allows you to concentrate on rehab you will be good to go! Even if you can't get to the Gym, you can get full extension and flextion sitting at home.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
Yeah I have actually been through this b4. I tore my right ACl about 10 yrs ago. I will def work my ass off and luckily i have a job that I can take time off from and family that is very helpful. I will see everything though till the end in regards to PT and leg movement. Its a long painful recovery from what I remember so hopefully this time it will be less pain. What type of ACL surgery did you get. My first one was a Pateller (sp?) graft which I have not had a single problem with in 10 years. I was thinking about going the same route on this knee too. Im waiting now for an MRI to determine if any other damage has been done.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2010, 6:00 AM Reply   
Just got my MRI results back. Torn ACL and Meniscus. Time for surgery.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-17-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that man. Good luck on your recovery.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-17-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
If I were you, I'd brace that sucker up and ride the rest of the summer...get sugery and let heal in the fall/winter. I severly sprained my MCL and possible tear in my ACL two weeks ago today. Doc said no riding for the rest of the year, and that I'd need an MRI.

I decided to just brace it up and take it a little bit easy for a while. I'll get things worked on in the fall. I was on the board two days later, and have already taken 6 sets since the injury.

Another buddy of mine has been riding on a torn ACL for a few months now as well...same deal, getting it fixed in the winter.

Not saying that this is the right thing for you to do...just saying that it might be possible to do, and something to consider. Good luck!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
Thats exactly what i did with my last ACL injury. Snowboarded the rest of the winter but ended up doing more damage to my meniscus resulting in having about 80% of it removed. Wasnt even torn when i first tore my ACL. I got a good season in and honestly am in alot more pain than last time, almost 30 now, other knee was torn at 19. So im going to take it easy, get surgery asap and hope to get some snowboarding in and be back to full strength for next years summer.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-17-2010, 4:35 PM Reply   
had surgery today, the 6 month recovery period begins. I was thinking about making a page a day calender or something to keep my spirits up or something. anyone got any advice or tips other than grit your teeth and bust your ass in the gym?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
Tore my ACL, MCL and Meniscus, sprained the PCL with Bone Bruising this last Father's Day, June 20, had ACL surgery last Fri Aug 06, everything else was good to go by the time I had surgery. Go for the Allograft this time around, recovery time is alot faster. Good luck bro!

Dan - it'll be over before you know it. I should be walking by the end of the week, which means the doc might let me get on my boat and drive my kids around and at least float!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-17-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
glad to hear that, im super optimistic and really determined to heal so that sounsd like good news to me! good lukc with getting on the boat
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-18-2010, 6:00 AM Reply   
http://www.sports-injury-info.com/ac...y-stories.html

Found this site. Can post recovery stories and there is a ton of info on what to expect.