Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (knels707)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-10-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
i went to fire up our avalanche after a long winter and it wouldnt crank. i figured the battery must not have enough juice so after i gave it a full charge, and even tried a brand new battery, still nothing. i checked all the fuses and they seemed to be fine, but i noticed that there was a noise coming from what said to be the ignition protector and there was a dial on the side thats connected to the throttle cable that was kind of spinning. everything ran great last season, did something get shorted out, im at a loss of where to start. i dont want to take it in to the local shop and get bent over for something simple. any help would be much appreciated.
Old     (cweed)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-10-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
Make sure it's in neutral?

I had an 'incident' on the lake where we were drifting just getting some sun and went to start it, nadda, ripped the whole electrical system apart and low and behold, it wasn't in neutral :-)
Old     (knels707)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-10-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
Yeah i know what you mean. ive had a few cases out on the lake when it wont start and i realize that its not in neutral, however this time its not the case.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-10-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
could be the neutral safety switch. have someone try to crank the boat while you manually move the shifter a little to see if it will kick off.

If it's the NSS, there's usually no clicks, beeps or anything else, it kills power to the whole engine.
Old     (knels707)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-10-2009, 9:55 PM Reply   
after i hook up the safety lanyard and put in the theres the initial beeps but nothing after that
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2009, 10:58 PM Reply   
are you getting a click around the engine when you try to start? it might be your starter.. if there was any water deep enough to have touched it it may have rusted inside. try smacking it a couple times with a mallet.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-11-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
is the safety lanyard connected to a switch?

Move that switch back and forth a few times -
I have seen "dead" boats come back to life
when it was just the safety switch that "looked"
to be right, but was actually just a touch "off"
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-11-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
will it spin over?
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-11-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
^^ second that if its truning over but not starting youre missing fuel or spark. If it wont even turn over its somewhere else.. take the neutral safety switch off there will be four prongs on the back two will have wires connected to them switch the wires to the two nonused plugs(you have just bypassed the switch) and if it starts then your neutal safety switch is bad, if not put the wires back the way they were cuz the NSS is fine. check to see that youre getting fuel and spark.