Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
hey, can someone point me in the direction to pull one of? im goofly footed (if it matters)i am trying to ride switch, but i cant seem to land switch, maybe a HS 360 might be easier?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-23-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
start with ollie 180's
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-23-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
I started doing hs fs 180s off the start up roller, now it is part of my start up routine.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-23-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Most likely if you try a hs3 before you can even do a 180, you're gonna get WORKED. Try and ride a little switch every set. The more comfortable at switch you get the easier the switch landings will be. As stated earlier, start with ollie 180's in the flats, and when the boat first pulls you up, do them from inside out. Another good spot to learn them is on the outside of the double up turn. Rail out and let off your line tension and throw it off the second roller.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-23-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
You have to lean over your toes with the landing on a 180 too, otherwise you will slide out.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
I ride goofy, once I'm up I take off HS to the outside of the wake, then I butter slide to my switch stance, I ride that for a little bit to get used to riding switch. I am now tring a buttrslide 180, then slide back to goofy by rotating 360. thats a whole other story, but the switch riding, (no matter how wierd or painstaking), has helped me to hit HS 180s off the wake, landing in the middle of the wake. Since I have finally started hitting W2W HS jumps w/ some decent air, I decided all I need to do is just rotate it 180 degrees. Upload
Upload
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
1/2 way to the 360 slideUpload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
"Most likely if you try a hs3 before you can even do a 180, you're gonna get WORKED."

Hell yeah
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-23-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
What helps me is to look at the opposite shore line as I start rotating - basically my head turns first and the body will follow. Just keep the handle in and pull the handle to the other hip. Looking over your toes as Stephen suggested can also help in not sliding out and landing on your butt. It's not really the landing or riding switch necessarily, but more likely that your position is off when you land. If I do these things I mentioned above I'll land it, if I forget one, I'll often slide out on the landing.
If you decide to go straight to the 360's make sure you have someone take video and post it on WW as it will be interesting to watch (and most likely painful for you though).
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
get on a trampoline with a handle/rope. You'll learn alot about how moving the hand from hip to hip controls your spin.
Old     (ron_starnes)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-23-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
I ride goofy too and what was killing me going W2W 180 was letting go too soon with my right hand. Try to keep both hands on the handle as long as possible.

Magnus you up for Anderson on Sunday?
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-24-2006, 12:16 AM Reply   
Just do it. I recently landed my first W2W 180's and rode them all out but three or so. Just do a typical wake jump and rotate on the way down. When you land, make sure you are leaning over your toes and against the line. I also landed my first ts W2W 180. Ugly, but I rode it away. One more thing that helped me feel more comfortable was to cut out switch on my toes as far and hard as I could. It really was much simpler than I thought it would be. It's easy to take them into the flats as well. Hope this helps.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
but once you dial in big slow hs 180s, spinning a fast hs 3 is rediculously easy. to me it just came natural. just make sure you are landing over your toes, and once in the air, make a distinct tug on the handle from one hip to the other. keeping the handle low and in will keep you in control in the air. if your comfortable with 2 hands on the handle go with that, it doesnt really matter, just as long as that handle is low and in, oh yeah and keep your chest up and out, that will help too.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-24-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
"Most likely if you try a hs3 before you can even do a 180, you're gonna get WORKED."

That's how I almost got knocked out.

Start small. Do bunny hop 180's over one wake instead of charging for both first. It's a lot like the TS 180 except it's a little harder to initiate the spin. Keep your head and chest up and look towards the other wake, or the shoreline like Mangus suggested, and move the handle to your [in your case] left hip. If you keep the handle in close and both hands on it, you will have more control. LAND OVER YOUR TOES and you'll stick it clean.

Let me know when you stick it!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-24-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Jacq....can you do a shifty?

Grab the board mute or slob (front hand) and then try to add a shifty, then bring it back. Again, just giving you a sense for how the handle position controls your rotation. Good warm up for the 180.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-24-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Okay, since nobody has said it, make sure you are off the water before beginning your rotation whatever spin you are trying. I gave myself a mild concussion last week flyswatting a switch ts fs 180 off one wake. "Hey, who brought those cameras out here?" You did, dad.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-24-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
thanks guys, ill give it a try and hope it goes well, i should be able to stick it within a couple tries.....ill let you know how it goes!
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-24-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
A few other things to remember.
Pop,Pull,Spin
When you make the spin pull the handle to your back pocket(of your left, now lead hip).
Ok once you have made the spin you will want to turn your hand so that your thumb is pointed down. This will rotate your shoulder forward makeing it easier to land on your toes.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-24-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Marc you are spinning early wait just a sec more then pull. Make sure to rotate your hand this is a must itwill make TS landings so much easier
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-24-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
Get a copy of "The Book" It will help you on this trick and more than you will be able to do. Its worth every penny. Mow yards, wash cars, ask Santa, etc. Do whatever it takes...It's great wintertime study material if you cant ride year-round.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-26-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
and i cant do a w2w yet, i always fall short, so im working to at least a 1 wake 180
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-26-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Shorten the rope until you can clear then slowly set it back out. When you start letting the length out on the rope you will need to speed up the boat as well. GET "THE BOOK", you will not be disappointed...
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-27-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
try one wake toeside 180s much easyer
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-28-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
yes Toby, thats a good idea, so i will land in my normal stance, makes good sense!
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-29-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
hey guys i have almost landed it, i make the rotation and everything its just landing i cant get, the board always slips out, i was trying it switch so i will land in my normal goofy position, but i just dont know how to get them down...
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-29-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
Pull the handle in closer at the start of your cut. Pop first then pull the handle to your back hip(all the way around to your back pocket)turn thre handle down and lean over your toes.
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-02-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
wait until you are in the air (to stay on axis), rotate with your hips not your feet (this makes it a smooth rotation), as you come down...put the handle in your front pocket (this gets you in the correct body over your toes), look out at the shoreline...not your feet (to keep from slipping out). that sounds like a lot, just remember handle in front pocket and look up and you will hit it
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
Ditto on the Book. The 4 minute drill is an awesome trainer for switch riding and just a good warm up.