Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-18-2006, 11:27 PM Reply   
I am getting LASIK in the morning and I wonder if any other riders out there have done the same......and if so, how long you had to wait till you were on the water again. I have a big lake powell trip planned in three weeks and really dont want to pass up the chance for some serious riding.
Old     (mi_moomba)      Join Date: May 2005       08-19-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
I had a freind have LASIK and he was out for a minimum of 6 weeks. There is a small risk life long of flap problems thoughh(where they take the falp off the cornea to do the laser). This risk is highest in contact and water sports. My friend was told to wear goggles if he is taking really hard falls. He is just taking his chances at that instead of looking like a tool whenever he rides.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-19-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Ask your doctor.

3 weeks sounds too short to me.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-19-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
I was told 2 weeks by my Doctor, but they cleared me after 10 days. Their LASIK office is very invloved in wakeboarding, so they know what the sport is all about and the risk of face planting. However, every Doctor is different. Do what your specific Doctor suggests.

McFly
www.waterskiboatsdallas.com
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-19-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
paging x-girl!!!! where are you x-girl?
Old     (kid_a)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-19-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
My Dr. told me 2 weeks but i waited a month just to be safe. I haven't had a problem and it's been a little over a year.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-19-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
I assist in LASIK. We reccommend waiting 1 month. We dont reccommend goggles. Seen corneal abrasions from goggles slipping across the eye. If your going to just be riding along on the boat, sunglesses are wise. If your just going to go and ride anyway, then wait at least 2 weeks to avoid the possible infection that can occur from contaminated water.
Congraats on getting yourself a new paair of eyes.
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-19-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
My wife had the surgery in January. Was going to have an 'adjustment' made in May. We talked about wakeboarding and the river and the doc suggested wait till Sept or Oct... said the river water would not be a good thing. Here's something to think about... with the adjustment in May, 3 months after the surgery, he was not going to have to re-cut the flap.. he was going to be able to peel it back again and do the work. If that is the case, a good faceplant could really mess you up. Just my $.02. And when we are talking about our sight... I would rather be extra cautious.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-19-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
You could do PRK and avoid the infamous "Flap" all together
Old     (mi_moomba)      Join Date: May 2005       08-19-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
PRK would be the best option for anyone who is heavily involved with water sports, but it is usually not the best option for refractive surgery. The flap that is peeled back may be still the "flap" for a LONG time, years. After 2 weeks, the incidence of problems is much less, and atfter 6 weeks even drastactly more, but there is always a possibility that the flap could be pulled back by a hard blow to the eye. I am going to be getting LASIK in Late September/early October. The season here in Michigan is usually near done by then, so I figure that I would have the most time to heal properly. And yes, goggles may cause corneal abrasions, but if I was to board in the first 6 weeks, I would wear them. The risk of flap problems much outweighs the risk of cornear abrasions, and the abrasions heal.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-19-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Just got back from the surgery. Not too bad. A little fuzzy and a little discomfort. The doctor said after two weeks I should be good to go about my normal lifestyle. After three I can be back on the water.