Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Marlinman)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-10-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
My 12 year old daughter has a wake board on her Christmas list and I have no idea what to get her, and she has no idea either. We are new to this and this summer will be her first time to wake board.

Can you please give me some suggestions for what board I should get and what type of bindings?

She is 5'3" 110#
Thanks
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-10-2011, 7:09 PM Reply   
http://www.perfski.com/Wakeboards/20...orce-Star.html
Liquid Force Star 124 $229 which is as cheap as new board will be that is high quality.

With
http://www.perfski.com/Wakeboards/Wa...ush-Boots.html

LF Plush boots. The bindings are $209 and one size fits all so she can where them as long as she wants as her feat grow.

from Liquid Force on Vimeo.

from Liquid Force on Vimeo.

Attached Images

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-10-2011, 7:17 PM Reply   
I know the pricing might seem high but it is very cheap for good quality equipment. There are both beginner/intermediate board and bindings so she will be able to use this for a few seasons while she is growing too see if she is ready for some more advanced gear. I know $400 seems like a lot for a wakeboard setup but unfortunately, even the beginner gear is expensive. My bindings were over $400 alone, board too. The BIGGEST mistake beginners make is going to Sports Authority and buying one the boards there. They will ride like total crap, will have terrible bindings or possibly sandals which are unsafe and can lean to injury and if she decided she wants to keep wakeboarding, you are going to end up in this situation again spending $400 after spending probably $250 on junky equipment. Plus when she's the graphics, she is definitely going to want to ride this thing.
How tall is she btw, regardless the 124 should be good for a couple of years. This setup will last forever, has a great warranty and she will definitely have the prettiest board out of all of her friends.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-10-2011, 7:43 PM Reply   
LOOK NO FURTHER!!! In hyperlites closeout section they have the Hyperlite 125 Eden and the Hyperlite Lark Boot one size fits all 5-9. The board is $179 and the boots are $159!!! That is an incredible deal for stuff she will definitely like, and will be able to use for many years to come. http://www.perfski.com/CLOSEOUT/CLOS...lite-Eden.html
http://www.perfski.com/CLOSEOUT/CLOS...Lark-Boot.html
Attached Images

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-10-2011, 7:49 PM Reply   
The best thing about the Eden is that it was shaped by Pat Panakos who came up with an idea a few years ago teaching kids how to ride that it was important to have a different shape to the heelside edge compared to the toeside edge. This will keep her from taking a lot of those back and front edges because the rail will naturally keep her in place while she is riding. This board is truly setup to ride it as beginner all the way to a pro. This would be my choice
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
Justin Bieber's new Christmas Album
Old     (BKinSoCal)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-11-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
I bought my daughter the Eden this year and it was a great choice. She loves it. Very stable and will allow for growth in the future. I would definitely recommend this board.
Old     (watermags)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-11-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
Both of those boards are to small for 5'3" 110#. You should get at least a 130 and she will most likely grow out of that. I would look for a 132 or 134. Slightly bigger is better for a beginner. My 12 year old daughter rides a 128 LF Diva and is gonna need a bigger board next summer.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-11-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
Jonah I thought the same thing. I would be getting her a 134.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-11-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
Def needs a 134.. I would highly suggest checking out the Ronix Quarter to Midnight for her!
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-14-2011, 10:33 AM Reply   
I have some used boards and bindings I would be willing to sell very cheap. I am 5'4" and about 110 pounds and I still ride this board. I am looking at POSSIBLY changing for next year but I am still riding this board with no issues. If she is a beginner the board will be fine. I use it on sliders and wake, its a great board. Let me know if I can help.
Best of luck
Taylor
Old     (crazyinaz)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-22-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
A Dry suit to keep riding in the winter.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-22-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
My son is getting a Ronix Vision for Christmas. Got it at about the same price. Watch the video its why I went with this board and not some of the other kids boards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhhtRxqSrys
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-22-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
I think the Vault is built very similar to this. Just an idea.
Old     (MNRIDER)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-23-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Dude! 134 is tooo big. Go with the Eden, its a great shape for beginers and close outs are a good price. At her weight she will ride high in the water on anything she rides and board control is important as a newbie. She will need another board in a few years as she grows and progresses and that will more than likely be a 134 but, if you buy the bigger board now it will stunt her growth as a rider. Also, don't worry about how new it is. The kids boards haven't changed much for a long time. So, if you find a smokin deal on a 3 year old board that looks cool, go for it! P.s. make sure she gets to help pick it out, you know girls, if doesn't look cool, they won't use it. Good luck!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-23-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
First and foremost I would recommend heading to a local shop and talk to them. I like Ronix gear a lot and it looks like Sail and Ski Center is a Ronix dealer that has a couple locations in the Austin area. Go talk to them, find out what they recommend. It is best to create a relationship with your local board shop. They will be able to quickly resolve warranty issues and help you better. I would guess they would be willing to work with you on price if you find something very similar online.

Here is their website.
http://sailandski.com/page.aspx/pageid/63752/page.aspx

This is a board I would look at. It has a unique shape. The heel side and toe side features are different. It should help teach your daughter to cut in toe side as a beginner.
http://www.ronixwake.com/default_wom...keboards/Krush
It looks like they make it in a 128 or a 134 so they should have something that works.

Finding a closeout board from last year or 2010 migh be a good option as well. It would be a good way to find something discounted so you don't drop $500+ before you know if she truely gets into the sport.

Last edited by polarbill; 11-23-2011 at 1:09 PM.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-25-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
Get them an INDO Board
Old     (MNRIDER)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-28-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
Ya np3 is right. INDO board will really help in off the water training. My daughter is 8 months and she will start the INDO pretty quick after she starts walking!