Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Tried to wakesurf with a friends 01 SAN this weekend and could not get a clean big wake. Can someone tell me how and where to weight this boat for some kickin surf?

(Message edited by doubleup on March 01, 2004)
Old     (cryptic22)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
What side do you want to surf on? Due to the prop rotation SANs can be weighted more easily on the side opposite that of a MC, Bu, Tige, etc.

That being said, here is the best configuration I have found to surf on the same side as all the other boat brands:

Full stock ballast on the port side.
Empty and close the ballast tank on the starboard side so it doesn’t fill back up.
500 lb fat sack on top of the port side hard tank filled as much as possible while still allowing the hatch to close.
250 lb fat sac laying on the seat in the rear-port side corner.
Have everyone sit along the port side of the boat. Depending on how many people are in the boat sometimes we add an additional sac along the port side seat.

Typically run at around 8.5-10.5 mph
Old    cabalisticfire            03-01-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
That's pretty much the same as I do with my VLX. It seems that most boats want as much weight as you can throw to the rear side that you are riding on. If you wave is not steep enough (too flat and slow) try turning the boat in a circle (you'll have to experiment with how tight to turn). If your wave is too steep and is just curling over and washing out (lots of white water, no face) try driving a little straighter or shifting a little weight to either the opposite side you are riding on or towards the front of the boat. I found that at first it was confusing trying to figure out just how changing the sacs, people, and turn were affecting the wake. The key is to make one change at a time so that you can see just how each weight shift affects the wave.
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
That is exactly how we did it. port tank full, sac on top of that, sac on the port side back seat. it was mushy and small. thats how I weigh my x-2 and it is awesome. could be the prop rotation. anyone else?
Old     (cryptic22)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
There are a couple additional configurations listed here:
http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=262

Definitley try turning slightly to the port side while riding. You should notice a huge difference in the shape of the wake.
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thanks. I think a little weight up front will help. We'll give it try...
Old    dukeboy            03-03-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
Luke-good information on planetnautique.com
Thanks for the post...an answer to my prayers as well.
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-29-2004, 1:03 AM Reply   
At Nautique reef, we usually run the starboard surf break in our 2004 210 team, belly tank empty both back tanks full, 200 litre ( sorry dont know the U.S to aussie conversion) on top off the starboard wedgetank and a minium of 3 people sitting on the starboard side.

We have found that the broadcast board rides alot quicker than the lf skimskate.

(Message edited by pjdave on March 29, 2004)