Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-03-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
I needed something to clean my carpets, I got one estimate from a professional cleaner of $60, which for how much carpet they were going to clean was a lot per sq. ft. So I found some great reviews on the Bissell Little Green Carpet Cleaner..... and it worked great! I have attached pictures of the unit, cleaning the carpet and the end results. This is a PERFECT cleaner for boats, its easy to use, light weight, easy to carry, manuever around and gives excellent results. I picked this up for $98 at Wal-Mart, this model has the pet attachment and also heats the water up to 25 degrees higher than it comes out of your hot water heater. You could also use this around your house for couches, auto, pet accidents, etc.....

Would HIGHLY recommend this product for anyone who wants to have great looking carpets, it will pay for itself in two cleanings. I also picked up a bottle of cleaner for $10 which will give you easily 20 cleanings. Take a look at the picture of the water color, it pulled all kinds of crap/dirt out of the carpet, soiling, dirt, grime, even a small area of potatoe chip oil. I put 150 hours on my boat last year with three kids, a dog, and many teenagers on the boat..... could not be happier with the results! This can also be used around the house for pet accidents, auto, and upholstry cleaning..... thumbs up for Bissell
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-03-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for sharing, it turned out great in the pictures so I'm sure in real life its that much better. I too use that machine and have been able to keep my carpets very clean as well. On top of the machine and the cleaner in it I'll spray a spot remover all over the carpet and let it do its thing before extracting.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
I don't know what's more crazy. How good that thing works, or how hairy your arm is?
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-03-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesell View Post
I don't know what's more crazy. How good that thing works, or how hairy your arm is?
LOL! Yea, getting older is awesome.... all my hair is transferring from my head to my arms and other places I wont mention! regardless, it did do a great job on the carpets
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-03-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
My gf was just asking me how I thought one of these would work on the boat after I mentioned how I had a feeling my carpet needed to be cleaned.. Maybe i'll pick one up and give it a try.. Thanks for the review!
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-04-2010, 5:25 AM Reply   
I use the same one on my boat. Another tip, after cleaning it, put some fabric softener in the Bissel and go over it again. Will help the nap of your carpet stand back up.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-04-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
All my hair connects, lol
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
If you have kids and carpet in your house this thing is a GEM. I have 3 year old twins that spill everything and the occasional adult beer spill. We keep it full of the liquid and break it out as soon as a spill happens.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-04-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
nothin works better than apowerwasher and a wet/dry vac on your carpet
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-04-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
nothin works better than apowerwasher and a wet/dry vac on your carpet
Personally, even if I had snap out carpet I wound never take a power washer to it, but hey, whatever works for your situation. The Bissell did a great job of deep cleaning without abusing the carpet.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-04-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
From the pictures your carpet isnt' even dirty. We have the same boat.

For carpet that is dirty and has stains in it this thing isnt' gonna cut ut. I've used bigger bissle steam cleaner ( plug heated wateer ones) . IF you've got carpet that is dirty the power washer is your best bet.

I had red puke on my carpet....only thing that got it up was the powerwasher aand some mild carpet cleaner.

My point being , i fyou want a light cleanign/dusting that thing woudl be great, but for real cleaning leave it to the pros or powerwash.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-04-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
I've had both a Bissell and a nice powerwasher for several years. Bissell works great!! Also awesome for around the house. I had a pint of ice cream melt and dry under the back seat of my truck, and it got it out no problem. Powerwasher works great too, but even with the mildest tip it still seems pretty harsh for carpet. Also the PW can only rinse, while the Bissell actually sucks the dirt out.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-04-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
Love the little green. I've used it on several boats. Tip, hit tough stains with Resolve stain remover and a nylon brush a few minutes before going over it with the little green.

I have not had luck with the attachment you aren't using.
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-05-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Went and boiught one of these today, thanks for the review!
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-05-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
Great job Travis! Can you tell me what brand/type of carpet cleaner solution you bought to use in the machine? Thanks
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-05-2010, 10:24 PM Reply   
^IIRC, mine came with some solution. Otherwise they make a solution specifically for this machine. I just picked up some more at target.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-06-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
I've got both this one and a larger vacuume size unit that has an upholstry attachmnt. The larger one works better, but its sure is a PITA to use in the boat.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Red Puke? Adamn, I find that hard to believe that someone would have puked on your boat.
Old     (CarpetHarbor)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-11-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
The best way to achieve a totally clean carpet is by using a professional carpet cleaning service, it shouldn’t be hard for you to get a good local carpet cleaning service these days like Seattle carpet cleaning that can guarantee the cleanliness and freshness of your carpets. If you look on the internet, you can find hundreds of them in no time and you can start sorting out which one gives the best service with the best price. Click here - http://www.envirocarecleaningsolutions.com
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
^^^ I had stanly steamer out to do a rug at my house and In had them do the carpet in the boat back whenI had carpet.
Anyways they suck! Depending in the condition of your carpet the pros might not make a bit of differance.

When you first install carpet and the nap is tall cleaning it is pretty easy. Over time the sun beats down the carpet more than anything. The sun shrinks the carpet shorter. Don't believe me try taking a sample piec of new carpet and get a heat gun and wave it across the carpet. You will see the carpet shrink b4 your eyes. So the Idea of adding some magical fabric softener to the mix is going to stand up your carpet is a fantasy. For some I'm sure it works but for most I don't think it will work.

I have got the best results from this . Take a compressed air with a Air Nozzle and blast air into the carpet and make the carpet stand up. You might have to go in. Different directions to get it to stand up. You will notice dirt go's flying your blasting a majority of the dirt that will end up in your steam cleaner out plus your standing the fibers up so that you can get down to the base with your steam cleaner. When the fibers lay over its very hard to clean your carpet.

Posting pic's of dirty water from your steam cleaner is a no brainer. Water and Dirt/dust = MUD.
Try blasting as much of the dust and dirt out with air FIRST and then go to town with your steam cleaner. I think your carpet will come out cleaner and you will have less muddy water.

But if you have snap out carpets and a light pressure washer they are the bomb
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-12-2013, 2:12 PM Reply   
I would think a vacuum over the carpet once it is dry would be the best solution to getting the carpet to stand back up...
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
I don't know about making the carpet stand back up.
But when you use fabric softner the boat smells like fresh laundry for the next few outings.
That and it is softer.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-12-2013, 4:38 PM Reply   
I had two different professionals do my house carpet (which is original to the house, so from 1994) on two separate occassions. The first was a steam type and the second was the buffer type (like chem-dry uses). In both cases there were still stains in areas that their big machines can't get, such as at door transitions (room to room) and close to the edge of the trim. I have a small hoover vac very similar to the one in the OP (bought at costco for $100 I think). The little cleaner got stuff out that neither "professional" got out. And each of those cleanings was over $300. I'm going to try it on my boat at the end of the season. The cleaning tool is very small, though, so expect it to take a bit more time.
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-15-2013, 8:06 PM Reply   
Love mine. I've had great luck with hot water some laundry soap and a little chlorine dioxide. Much better than the Bissel stuff. Had no luck with Resolve. Next option was a can of Spit Shot.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
Totally Awesome and a brush is great on carpet! It removed burnt motor oil stain from my gray carpet. It was a big black stain and now you can't even see where it was.