Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-13-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
I know alot of buddy's that wont even attempt it including me.... is that common?? we are Decent riders... with all basic flips and most bassic flip 180's i cant 5 yet but some guys can when they do they pop immediately back to regular....

Will Swtich riding open more doors or are we still going to progress with out it...
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-13-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Riding switch will definatley make you a better overall rider, and make you feel 10x more in control of your board. I never rode switch for a long time because I figured whats the point it's not like i'm ever gonna go pro or anything, but once i started riding switch it made me feel more comfortable on my board and in turn I had a lot more fun on the water.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-13-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Yes a ton. Its super fun!!! Just like Brandon stated it will open way more doors for your riding. It helps make you more comfortable on your board. Helps you switch landing loads! I try to ride a full switch set from start to finish at least once or twice a week.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-13-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
I find that I can ride longer sets because the muscles are worked more evenly.
Old     (rt360)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-13-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
i ride switch about 50% of the time. it definately helps with 180 landings. toeside switch 180 was the hardest for me to pop on . when i get more powerful pop dialed in i will try toeside switch 540.like bill said it helps me ride longer.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-13-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
if you're not riding switch you're missing out on half the fun of wakeboarding man. It sucks to learn but once you do you can have some sketchy lands that you would have never pulled off before. Makes you a much better rider.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-13-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
if you n crew can do basic flips and spins, im suprised you really had to ask this question. the earlier you learn switch, the less frustating it will be having to learn wakeboarding from square one again
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-13-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
hope thats not too blunt, but i dont expect anyone to come up here and tell you not to expand your horizons
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-13-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
Im better at riding switch than regular...
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-13-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewproses View Post
Im better at riding switch than regular...
maybe your switch riding is regular...
hahaha
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-14-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
Switch riding was something I really overlooked for the first few years that I boarded. The last few I've really made it a priority to really include switch riding every time I go out. Obviously it helps with switch landings, but the comfort in reverting and being switch has helped me tick-tock and save some sketchy landings. It's definitely a good thing to have available to you.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-14-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Do it, when I was learning I'd bend my knees more than usual which makes it a bit easier to get used to the weird feeling. Makes those sketchy landings and surface slides gone wrong a lot easier to pull off without catching a front edge.
Old     (wakezone804)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-14-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
If you know basic inverts lear them switch. It will only make your trick list larger. Its impressive to do a back roll but back it up with a switch roll you will earn more respect. Spinning switch will improve oyur arieal awareness and control in the air. Go out and take sets where you only focus on riding swith the entire time! Ride on....
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-14-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
As stated before, it literally doubles the tricks you can do if you learn switch. Plus there is no better way to get some love from other boats on the lake than by linking swtich and reg tricks. make sure you do em back to back so they notice ha!
Old    dperizzolo            11-25-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
I try to ride switch as much as possible. It sucks at the beginning, but something you have to do.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-25-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
Last winter, I rode my snowboard switch most of the time. Great training that paid off in the summer.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-25-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
You do not have to ride switch and there are some pros that do not do a whole lot switch but it really depends where you want to take your game. Throwing big inverted tricks will get more kudos from non serious riders and spectators but you may get a little more respect with a switch TS 1 or 3 mixed in your set from others. As everyone stated it will improve your balance overall. HS switch is pretty easy and a lot riders pick that up in their first year or two of riding but approaching a wake TS switch will feel pretty wierd but once you get over the initial ackwardness it isn't too bad.

Last edited by bmartin; 11-25-2010 at 8:10 PM.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-25-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
Switch Sundays
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-28-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
When I teach new riders I always make them ride switch right away. After they learn to cross the wake regular and switch they usually can do can do a surface 180. We have had tons of new riders learn all of that on the same day. They excel so much faster, recover from bad stiuations and have less faceplants.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-29-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
So by not having switch in your riding are you guys just missing out on all the cool, stylish 180 grabs that you can land way out in the flats? Seems like you would be leaving out alot of tricks out of your resume by not landing anything switch or starting a trick switch. I'm a complete noob to wakeboarding having only ridden this summer on my new wakeboat but I make sure I ride about 1/3 of each set switch with my only switch trick being sketchy wake 180's...but I'm learning and want to progress evenly, or close to evenly as possible.

Last edited by you_da_man; 11-29-2010 at 8:27 PM.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-29-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
sometimes I institute a Fakie Friday policy on my boat. You have to ride switch to get back in. I have also done toe side tuesdays. But I suck at toe side, so maybe toe side tue, wed, thur and alternating sundays. Court ordered custody of my heal/toe sides.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-29-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
There is nothing more stylish than the following:

HS indy grab
TS w2w
HS backroll
TS w2w
Tantrum
TS w2w
HS FS3 (landed intermittently)
TS w2w

Can't count how many times I've seen that from other boats out on the lake.
C'mon, son! You can't even muster a half cab out of all that?
Even my wife rides switch - EVERY SET!

I like it when people watching do not know if I'm goofy or regular after I get back in the boat.
And it's not like I'm even that great of a rider by today's standards, but being able to take off and/or land switch makes all the difference.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-30-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
In the 90s I could do a switch crow, half cab roll, switch front and a switch S-bend, but I could not really ride switch. There was an article written by Mr. McCaffery years ago that touched on this. Faining switch and riding switch is very different. I could pretend to ride switch well, but it wasn't untill an injury put me out for most of a season that I really learned what my style was with my left foot forward.

I am not a big fan of switch sets or other gimmicks. Switch ridinging does not become part of your regular riding until you make it part of your riding. I reccomend hitting the wake switch every set mixed in with the tricks you normally do. You will slowly chip away at the akwardness of riding with your other foot forward with out "switching" modes in your mind.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-30-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
I love switch and in fact will be pushing TS/HS switch W2W next season. After a while, sometimes I forget which way I'm riding........
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-30-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
not riding switch is almost worse than being a heelside hero
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-30-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
I saw an interview with Sean White last year. In the interview he stated that his mom was the last in his family to learn snowboarding. He was assigned to riding with Mom all day and so he rode switch to even things up while she learned. Well he said that after a while he got pretty good at it. The rest, as they say, is history.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-14-2010, 6:56 PM Reply   
ridin swtich is what the whole world of twin-tip alllll about,but your foot stance is set up fot forward riding {inless you ride duck}and thats why A-symectical board works da best ,because its shaped around the way you stand natual-for power{reg.} & swtich