Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-14-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
Last Saturday I hit a massive submerged log, which killed my Acme 1235 (man, did I love that prop) and separated my drive shaft from the transmission. (Don't really know the specifics of the damage yet. My mechanic is gonna look at it on Friday - this is one job I'm not gonna do.) If I'm ever gonna switch to a dripless shaft seal, now is the time. I've never had any real problems with my packing nut, but I keep my boat in a slip so a dripless shaft seal is kind of appealing. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has made the switch - basically whether you'd do it again. Thanks guys!
Old     (Austinb23)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-14-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
well not on the same boat but i went from an 1989 supra sunsport to a 013 sunsport with a drip less and i have no idea if my bilge pump even works there is no water in that boat when i pull it out of the water
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-14-2013, 7:10 PM Reply   
I put a PSS high speed shaft seal on my last two boats and will install one on the next boat if it does not come with one. It is the only way to go
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-19-2013, 6:51 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear. That's the nature of the river though, can be pretty dicey. How is Lightning Jacks? Did they ever finish dredging? I've been using the Florence ramp, much cheaper and there's always water. I like Jacks but they want way too much to use the ramp especially considering there was dry land in the marina for 2-3 hours on each side of low tide.

I was out Saturday and rode through a massive debris field for a couple miles before we found reasonably clear water. Logs, branches, trash, deer carcasses, etc. Hit one piece of wood but fortunately I don't see any damage to gel or running gear, sounded like it was very brittle and just shattered. In any event, I would probably go dripless if you have the shaft out. I hate water in the boat, especially when I leave it in for a couple weeks in the summer.

Personally I used the gore-tex virtually dripless packing last time I had the shaft out and it does work pretty well. Drips much less than regular packing. Next time I have the shaft out I may do a dripless. I would consider the Lasdrop seals as well as PSS. Things to consider if you ever need a tow some dripless seals will burn up and leak from the shaft spinning fairly slow while being towed. Others I believe are less prone to overheat or be damaged if run dry. Not sure which is which but I've heard several failures of OJ seals while being towed and in general which leads me to believe Lasdrop and PSS are higher quality. PSS seals by tension from the bellows which concerns me and seems kind of cheesy.

If in doubt, you can always use the newer gore-tex packing. One thing to keep in mind is when a dripless seal fails it typically fails with a LOT of water coming in as compared to a rope seal which will typically be a more slow and gradual failure mode. A big bilge pump or two pumps would be a good idea especially since you keep yours in the water.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2013, 9:17 PM Reply   
Yo Cadunkle! I'm just seeing your post now. I got lucky - just knocked the keyway out of the driveshaft and messed up the alignment a little bit. Trashed my Acme prop too, but I should have it back next week, and I'm getting by with my backup. The marina is a bit of a mess. They never finished dredging because of numerous breakdowns, and I heard this weekend (don't know if it's true or not) that they're done dredging for the year. So, unless your boat's at the end of the dock, it's back to in and out at mid to high tide only.