Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-07-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
Well my old teak platform is cracked and I got nothing to do so I started making a swim platform. 3/4" non treated ply wood and a couple 2x4's cut lengthwise and this is how far I have got. Today I put on the first layer of fiberglass resin. Another layer of that tomorrow then to finish it up I will put two layers of the Rhino liner on. I'll put up pics when I'm done.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-07-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Man, that's actually nice looking. Crafty....
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-08-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
Nice Nick! I've been thinking about making a fiberglass platform, but not sure if I want to take that on. I cant wait to see how yours turns out.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Build in some white LED lights while you're at it
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
looks nice BTW
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-08-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
looking good!
how are you going to mount the brackets? before or after glass? how thick is the glass going to be? can't wait to see the final product!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-08-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Today I finished brushing on the second layer of fiberglass resin. I just mixed the resin with the hardener and brushed it on with a thick coat. When it says "resin sets up in 15 minutes" they're not kidding. First time I mixed up 12 0nces or so and only got to use half of it because it started turning into jelly. It reminds me of those rustic coffee tables you see in log cabins or in ski condos. Tomorrow I am going to cover the whole thing in truck bed coating. I plan to mount the brackets after everything is done and put some silicon into the screw holes after predrilling them.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-09-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
Very Nice
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-09-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Nick, you mention "fiberglass resin" Did you use fiberglass mat, or just resin only? Hard to tell from your description.

Resin without fiberglass lamination, resin is not very strong, and will likely crack with any flexing at all, allowing water to seep into the wood.

Are those stainless screws?

Looks good though, keep posting pics of your progress!

(Message edited by rio_sanger on March 09, 2009)
Old     (sparks426)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-09-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
I did a platform for my V210 last year in a very similar fashion. Two layers of plywood sandwiched back to back, cut to shape and edges smoothed. I thought about doing like Nick did on the bottom to lighten it up, but in the end decided I wanted as few places as possible for water to get in. It's light enough I can put it on myself, but still solid.

I did three coats of west system epoxy as a barrier coat (no fabric, just rolled it on), sanded smooth, and then painted it with marine paint. I drilled for the mounts after the epoxy, and used marine silicone in the holes with stainless screws and a rubber gasket between the mounts and the platform to seal it up. No cracks yet.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
This thing is pretty solid and doesn't flex much. I thought about using a fiberglass mat but didn't think it was critical to do. They are not stainless screws but the ones that will hold the brackets on will be.
Andy, what did you use for the traction on top of the platform? I am going to do the bed liner stuff today and I think I will be set.
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-09-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
Nick... I would go with either seadeck or aquaturf for the top deck. They both offer a nice range in colors and style. You can cut to fit any size or shape.
Old     (sparks426)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-09-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
I used gator grip, so far seems to be holding up well, and the edges aren't lifting. Not sure how well it would adhere to the bedliner, but if it was an issue maybe some spray adhesive would help.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-10-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
unfortunately, chris is right. poly resin won't last long by itself without any glass. the resin is brittle by itself.

epoxy would work but it must be painted or uv protected.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-11-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
completed pics?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-11-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
Nick,
if you are still looking for non slip matting, I wanted to suggest something that I used and for the cost its not too terrible
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=80767
Thats the DIY non slip matting I did.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Well I just got finished with this thing today and installed the brackets back on. I think it should work, and I'm really happy with the truck bed coating from Dupli-Color. I will get to try it this weekend and see if things will work out. The finish on the Dupli-Color feels like a hard plastic when fully dry and I don't think it will have any problem scratching boards or body parts.

Upload
Upload
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-12-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
wow, that looks pretty nice, good job!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
I havn't stood on it yet but when it dries I will try it out. Before I put the resin on I stood on it and it had a little flex but way less than the old teak one. I also used Marine grade sealant with the screws that hold the brackets on.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-12-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
I like it. A lot of the commercially done bed liners can make the finish as smooth or rough as you want. Is the Dupli-color that way? How much do you have into that project? Good job Nick.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
I figure about $120 at most. The Dupli-Color is like thick paint and it is sprayable so is has no texture. But when you roll it on with a paint roller it gives it a sort of small even bumpy feel. Not sure how it will feel when below the water line but hope it's not to slippy.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-12-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
Put a sick pad on it!
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
i just hope you wont have any issues with paint sticking under your feet/getting inside the boat.

looks very nice in picture though!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-13-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Looks great good work

I used roll on bed liner on mine as well and after a couple seasons of use it still looks the same as the day I did it I love that stuff. I made mine a little more rough though just to add a some more durability
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-13-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Very nice on the finished swim platform, Nick. It's a perfect finish for a GatorGrip/Traxx-like pad on top.

I hope it proves to be durable for you. I asked a buddy of mine who presses boards at Hyperlite. He didn't think that resin alone would add any strength to it & suggested some matting be added. He said it might flake off in big sections at some point..... sort of like bondo on a car fender repair.

But if you've ever seen the Rhinolined pop can at the boat show, you KNOW that stuff is tough as nails.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-13-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
I never intended for the resin to make it stronger, I just used it to seal the wood from the water. I've put all my #220 pound ass on it and it flexes just a hair. Super strong and I think it will work out good. If it seems to slippy I will look into getting the Gator grip for it. I had it on my old boat and it was very nice.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-13-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
I would'nt think it would flex much looking at your supports underneath. The ripped 2x's are a great back bone.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
wrong thread

Last edited by petrey10; 10-07-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: my bad