Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2007, 1:21 AM Reply   
While attempt whyrly my friend damage his ankle.
Looks fun -
Now he wanna use only C/T bindings...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-20-2007, 5:40 AM Reply   
That is the reason that I don't want CT bindings. I would rather have my foot go through the binding, then having all of that force get jammed into a closed toe. Plus all of the closed toes I have ridden, I couldn't tell the difference because the toe piece is so loose.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-20-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
That injury probably had more to do with the bindings not being tight enough than being open toe.
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       09-20-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
hah! those are some funny pics!
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-20-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
that makes perfect sense....

you prefer a broken ankle rather than a stubbed toe??

good call
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-20-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
I agree w/ byrd. A properly fitted binding should not allow that to happen... Also make sure you wash all the lube/soap out before even jumping the wake. On a tight binding, i've had my foot feel like it was slipping forward, before all the soap was rinsed...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-20-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
My zeus fit perfectly, but when I come short or a TS front. I have had my foot go through. Not nearly as bad as in that picture, but my heal does get wedged up in the binding. I have ridden some of the CT bindings for my size. I just don't see the benefit.
Old    mendo247            09-20-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
Great pics hahahahaha

Ive always been affraid of close toe! Seems like every time i play basketball or soccer and make a hard cut i break a toe.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-20-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
Tickle beat me too it. Looks like to loose of a binding with some lube or soap still in it.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-20-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Aren't those pretty old bindings as well?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-20-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
Yes they are old bindings, but htey have a very secure fit.. they had to be oversized... i have an old pair of them and no way my foot is heading out via the toes...
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-20-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
The issue isn't open toe or closed toe, it's weather the lower portion of the binding can stretch or not. If the material over the top of your foot can not stretch then your foot can not move forward. This is why in a properly fitted closed toe binding you shouldn't smash your toes against the end of the boot. The bindings in the pics. are all rubber so they will allow your foot to stretch the material and jam it out the front. This used to happen to me sometimes with older style bindings. I now ride the Xenons and the lower foot material has no stretch so your foot can't move forward. The softness of the footbed can also cause this to happen because it can be compressed making the toe hole larger allowing your foot to move forward.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-20-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
I am having a hard time figuring out the impact from a whirly that created the push through. Usually you either short the flip and pull your heel out, or over-rotate the spin and catch that heal edge. The only thing I can think of is an under-rotated spin with a really leaned back landing. Seems like a really strange fall to create that effect. Like a tanny to blind.

TS fronts and hs fronts to reverts its pretty common, maybe even a tanny to revert.

Glad to hear your friend only sustained a minor ankle injury (from the sounds of it).

With all that said, I was the same way as Leo, until I tried them out. I would say I was one of the biggest anti-closed toe guys out. Now I love them, and dont intend on going back anytime soon.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-20-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
That looks like the overlay ripped out. Why didn't he just get in the boat to have the binding removed? Looks like a pretty contorted position for binding removal.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-20-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
Is he alright?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-20-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Jakober I have to disagree with you on the Xenons. I started riding them this year and love them, but had my foot go all the way through on a 5. I actually landed it and rode away then dropped because my foot was so jacked from sliding all the way through. I actually get mine a size smaller to stretch them out so that won't happen and it still did. If the guy was wearing closed toe he might have broken his toe.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-20-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Gene, I'm not saying it's not possible on the Xenons, just that it hasn't happened to me since getting them. I would have to guess that your laces must have slipped do to the extreme force, because there is zero stretch in the binding over your lower foot. Something had to give to allow the toe hole to get bigger?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-20-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Dude I am not sure (don't remember about the laces), all I know is it happened .... and it sucked. I have been back in my 06 Zues' when I really am out to push my riding now.
I am pretty sure the lower laces did not slip they never do. Only the uppers.
Old     (bbower)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-20-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
I know people are going to be skeptics about CT bindings, I was too. The problem, though, is that most people aren't open minded enough to try a few different ones. As in, you are skeptical to begin with, then you try the 06 murray for example...maybe it wasn't the right size, maybe it was. in my experience, the toe piece (as leo said) is loose on the murrays (to me anyway, could be perfect for you). but that doesn't mean ALL CT boots are like that! i mean if you tried on a crappy pair of shoes and they were uncomfortable as hell, that doesn't mean you are going to say f it to all shoes.

most people's problems come from sizing, and it being the right fit for YOUR foot. If your a size 9 but your foot is forever wide, you wouldn't go buy shoes that were a 9 but made for a narrow foot, that'd be stupid. that's why they make different styles and different brands. I mean, Coop, if you are breaking a toe everytime you cut hard in basketball and soccer, either you need to drink a glass of milk, or get the right size shoe so you don't have 3 inches for your foot to travel before it stops.

I'm not sayin CT are for everybody,everybody has their own preferences. I'm sayin don't be so narrow minded with the options that are out there. Who knows...You just might find something you really like and that really helps.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-20-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
leo lasecki, stop talking about jamming your toes... it doesn't even happen

have you ever even worn CT, your foot doesn't jam, it normally stays but on a hard fall it may move forward, but not enough to jam...
the benefit imo is they're more comfortable and in winter my feet aren't going to be freezing like yours
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-20-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
That doesn't happen anymore if you wear new open toe bindings. A lot of people, including myself, have done that in those older bindings.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-20-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Somebody tell this guy to stop getting into bindings and going cliff jumping .
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
yeah byrd is right if they fit properly that wont happen although bindings do become looser as you ride and take falls, i have seen picsa of the shin getting through the open toe bindings. Shin becomes broken of course.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-20-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
I have a pair of Ronix One bindings and never once have i ever pushed through and jammed my toes. I came from a pair of 03 parks bindings and I did it often enough in those. Come to think of it i have never been pulled out of my One's either. I have taken some serious diggers in them and honeslty they are the most secure fitting boot i have ever tried on.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-20-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
Wait till you blow out a pair of closed toes and your foot comes through the front! Wish I had the picture
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-20-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
Hey, anyone have any ideas for a person with mismatched feet, lol. My cells fit my left foot great, but my right foot moves a bit, lol. Stupid smaller right foot!
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-20-2007, 4:37 PM Reply   
^^^I just bought some cells today and the guy at the dealership had these little rubber toe wrap things you can insert in the binding to make it fit better...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-20-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
Yah, I tried those, but its really around the heels. I HATE heel lift, and the right binder seems to lift, with or without the J-bars in. You know what, maybe I will wrap a bandanna around the heel or something! Ahh Yah, time to find something thin and waterproof to wrap around the liner to allow the laces to get tighter.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-20-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
what is the point of open toe honestly?
if bindings were originally closed toe and open toe bindings just came out would it be mind blowing or kooky?
i honestly think the only reason bindings were originally open toe was to accomodate multiple foot sizes for people to be able to share.
think about it
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-20-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
What is the point of arguing over this...there are two types of wakeboard bindings. Open toe and closed toe. Neither is going be work perfectly, for everyone, all the time. I think it's all riders preference because everyones feet are different shapes and sizes so two people with the same shoe size could use the same bindings. One might have problems while the other fits them perfectly. Most brands offer CT and OT in their line so get the one that you like best...go out there...and ride! oh and hope that doesn't happen to you

Then again what do I know...I'm not good enough to have the kinds of accidents ;)
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2007, 12:21 AM Reply   
The binbings fits enough tight(right size). Just construction of these bindings is allow to happen it. My dude is ok, no fracture or any dislocations, he just lil lame.
Thanks for comments guys!
And take cares.}