Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-20-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
Ok with an around 30k pricerange i am looking for a vdrive with pp and automatic ballast.

My question is which of the three moomba vdrives would fit me best? We usually have anywhere from 3 to 9 people that wanna come on the boat to either hang out or wqkeboard. Coming from an io we have never surfed.

In regards to fuel consumption which boat is going to be the most efficient with 1-2k in ballast and or people? Which hull makes the best wake with that kind of load? Can the 325 assault handle that kind of load for 100 hours a summer over the next 5 years or so? If not, should i get the upgraded 360 hp?

Speakers and stuff arent as important because i can add that stuff in the future.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-20-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Ben,
I would say go for the LSV or the XLV. Really depends on the size of the boat. The Outback V is a good boat too, but my guess is you will be upgrading within a year or two after having it. The LSV is an all around good boat, and a great price. It can do about anything that every other boat does on the market with a lower price tag. You can go over to the Moomba forum http://moomba.com/msgboard/index.php and ask the guys that have those boats.
The Outback V is also a good boat, but may or may not have ballast. It also has lower freeboard, so not quite as comfortable to hang out. You will not need an upgraded motor (i supposed depending on eleveation), but might want to re-prop it. We can help you with that stuff.
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-20-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
How about this one

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...750752&cat=147
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-20-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
LSV or XLV - depending on the size you need, size of your lake, etc.

You will want a reprop for 2k lbs in ballast but won't need the big motor. Great boats, great wakes.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-20-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
I agree with those that have already posted LSV or XLV. If you are at a high elevation you will want the upgraded engine. If you aren't it doesn't matter.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-20-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Ok so the outback is smaller on the inside because of the lower freeboard, so that means what?

I live in central illinois and board on lake shelbyville which is pretty big, 11k acres so im not at any type of high elevation. So the question is will the xlv use much more gas than an outback v or lsv? The lsv and outback have the same hull right? So how much different is the xlv wake?

I really like the idea of the xlv the most because it has the potential of holding a ton of people but they usually have the 360hp motor and could guzzle gas pretty bad.. is this true because im coming from a 4 cyl that would only take 15 bucks in gas to ride all day.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-20-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
The Outback V and LSV are NOT the same hull. The outback V is the same hull as a previous model LSV and is not even similar in my opinion. The new LSV is much better than the Outback V in every arena (again, my opinion). The Outback V is more of an entry level boat that will not have as many options and ballast and other things will be options. Once you get into the LSV you will have more creature comforts and be able to do everything you described. The XLV is just a bigger version and a different hull. This is really only a question that you can answer...... The amount of fuel burn is not going to be extraordinarily different from wake boat to wake boat. Sure there will be little differences that you can expect, but none of them are going to be similar to your old I/O.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
Ok so the outback is smaller on the inside because of the lower freeboard, so that means what?

I live in central illinois and board on lake shelbyville which is pretty big, 11k acres so im not at any type of high elevation. So the question is will the xlv use much more gas than an outback v or lsv? The lsv and outback have the same hull right? So how much different is the xlv wake?

I really like the idea of the xlv the most because it has the potential of holding a ton of people but they usually have the 360hp motor and could guzzle gas pretty bad.. is this true because im coming from a 4 cyl that would only take 15 bucks in gas to ride all day.
There is only a 300 pound difference from the LSV to the XLV so the fuel economy shouldn't be that much worse although the added surface area may affect it some as well.

All 3 of these boats are going to burn a crap load more than 15 bucks a day. Probably closer to 50-75 bucks a day at the minimum if you are really riding most of the day.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
The Outback V and LSV are NOT the same hull. The outback V is the same hull as a previous model LSV and is not even similar in my opinion. The new LSV is much better than the Outback V in every arena (again, my opinion). The Outback V is more of an entry level boat that will not have as many options and ballast and other things will be options. Once you get into the LSV you will have more creature comforts and be able to do everything you described. The XLV is just a bigger version and a different hull. This is really only a question that you can answer...... The amount of fuel burn is not going to be extraordinarily different from wake boat to wake boat. Sure there will be little differences that you can expect, but none of them are going to be similar to your old I/O.
Diggs, the 09-current outback V isn't the same as the older mobius LSV. It is a new hull completely I am pretty sure. It is shorter, wider, deeper and heavier than the older outback v/Mobius LSV.

That being said it is a more entry level boat.
Old    SamIngram            10-20-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Why are you looking at Moomba's? In that price range you should be able to get a used top of the line boat like a Correct Craft!

This SANTE 210 is IL

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better...John Ruskin (1819-1900)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-20-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
I must have missed his question in the first post when he asked about Malibu, Nautique, Supra, Mastercraft. I was thinking he was asking questions about Moomba. My bad......
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-20-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
That san 210 above is sold. After looking things over i would rather get a newer moomba than an older san mc or malibu. I just think that a newer boat would be better because i will have this boat for a while, 5-7 years
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-20-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
personally if it was me (which it obviously isn't) I would get the XLV. Those things are just massive inside.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-20-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
Yeah i really like the idea of the xlv, cant have enough room... ok another question, whats with moomba cruise? I have heard its junk. I drove a 2008 mc x2 last week and made me fall in love with perfect pass..it was my first experience with it.
Old    SamIngram            10-20-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
I must have missed his question in the first post when he asked about Malibu, Nautique, Supra, Mastercraft. I was thinking he was asking questions about Moomba. My bad......
Yup you missed it....

Actually, this is an internet forum, and I asked my OWN question, am I not entitled to do so? If not please point me to the internet forum rules. I as unaware that you were the internet police...my bad, I just too stupid for the internet..

When I bought my boat I was looking at other low end boats and would have bought one. It wasn't until I actually looked at a Nautique that I realized it was in my price range.
Old    SamIngram            10-20-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
That san 210 above is sold. After looking things over i would rather get a newer moomba than an older san mc or malibu. I just think that a newer boat would be better because i will have this boat for a while, 5-7 years
Have you looked at a Sanger?
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-20-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Please dont hijack the thread with your bickering guys...

There arent any sangers around illinois...seems like a california boat.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-20-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Meow.........
I have only heard good things about Moomba Cruise, Malibu Cruise, etc.... Many manufacturers stopped using Perfect Pass and went to their own cruise over the last several years. I don't know first hand, but I have friends that have it and I have never heard the complaint.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-20-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
I have an 08 Mobius LSV and am very happy with it. The moomba cruise takes a little bit of getting used to but I've been using it for two years with around 1800-2000lbs ballast with the stock prop and havent had any issues with it other than it slows down when turning and takes a little time to get back to the set speed. With some weight in the boat the wake starts to get really nice and rampy. It definatley gives enough pop to do anything recreational wakeboarders would do.

These pics are with the stock gravity 3 ballast full (1200) and a 750 sac across the bow. There is a driver and spotter in the boat and the wakeplate is all the way up in these pics.

Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
Another vote for 06+ LSV.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-20-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
I have an 08 XLV and it is a big boat with lots of freeboard. There is no 360HP motor for Moomba...it's either 325HP (the most popular), 340HP, and 409HP (very rare and usually special order). I surf with 3,400-3,500lbs of ballast and usually a couple people in the boat. With the Acme 1235 prop it's no problem for the boat. I use to do that with the stock OJ prop but but I couldn't stand the OJ prop's vibration at low speed and rpm with my boat (if it's a pre-2010 then it will be a standard OJ prop, 2010+ it's the OJ Fusion prop). Say goodbye to burning $15-$20 a day on your stern-drive boat. These inboards will drink fuel. A concervative estimate is about 5 gallons per operating hour when cruising or pulling, alot more if surfing and/or teaching someone how to board. I'll think you'll regret to Outback V...too small for a crew of 6+. If you have a big lake with open water, you'll appreciate the extra boat in the XLV on those choppy days. Perfect Pass Stargazer is a must, get rid of the Moomba Cruise...it's a POS. My friends have an Outback V, the wake is baby compared to the XLV. My friend fills his Outback V almost full with 750lb sacs in the rear and the center full. His wake is smaller than my XLV empty. The LSV is a great compromise betweeen the Outback and the XLV.

Last edited by you_da_man; 10-20-2010 at 7:21 PM.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-20-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
thanks for the detailed response, so 5 gallons an hour...sounds like my friends are gonna have to cough up alot more then they have been
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-20-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
If you spend a full day on the lake with 4+ hrs of operating time on the motor pulling/cruising a large crew...you'll spend $60-$70 minimum per day on fuel. If you plan on surfing with a full crew and boarding all day...plan on refueling at the dock. Most of the time it's just me and my girlfriend. We board 75% of the time but we usually will do one surf session each. With that said, just the two of us will go through half a tank or slightly more (40 gallon tank) in just 3hrs of operating time.
Old     (cab13367)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-05-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
Ben,

To answer a couple of your unanswered questions:

Freeboard - the height from the floor of the boat to the top of the sides of the boat (the gunwale). So more freeboard means the sides of the boat are taller which means passengers stay drier on a windy day or on a big lake with large swells.

Moomba cruise - an RPM based cruise control that you have to set manually. So you pull your boarder up, then hit the switch once you have them up to the desired speed. The cruise will hold that rpm until you disengage it. PP holds a set speed, not rpm, and engages automatically once you get within a couple mph of the target speed. It's world's better than the Moomba cruise.

I have a 2006 LSV (first year of the current body style LSV) and love it. It does burn about 5 gph. The smaller Outback V will burn a little less, the larger XLV a little more, but negiligle in the grand scheme of things. The XLV has more room and is rated to hold 16 vs 13 for the LSV. But remember that a longer, heavier boat also has a higher minimum planing speed so if you have kids or a timid wife, they'll need to learn to ride at a faster speed if they want a clean wake. Also, if you are going to keep your boat in the garage, will thelonger XLV fit? Finally, at a budget of $30k, you will get a nicer used LSV vs an XLV.

Also, the XLV has the playpen bow vs the traditional bow in the LSV. Some people feel strongly about one over the other.

The 325HP engine is more than adequate for all three models. If you ride with a lot of ballast, you just need to fork up $500 for a larger diameter lower pitched prop and you're all set. And the boat you buy may already have this prop.

Hope that helps.

Al
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-06-2010, 2:07 AM Reply   
Does anybody have pictures of the wakesurf wake?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-06-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
A few from last year, '07 LSV, 750lbs rear locker, don't remember how many peeps on this run but it's been bigger and longer.
Attached Images

Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-06-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
Al,
I really have nothing to do with this thread other than a good read, but I wanted to thank you. It is people like you that give good qualitative information and advice that makes this site worth reading.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-06-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
'08 XLV with 3,400lbs on the driver side. Second picture is my buddy Tony on his first attempt at wakesurfing. We call him the 240 shorty being that he's 6'4". Not a great picture but it does give perspective on the regular side wake. 3,000lbs on the regular side gives you a wake at your hip.

Old     (cab13367)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-06-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Does anybody have pictures of the wakesurf wake?
Yes! I think my 2006 Moomba LSV throws a really nice surf wake without the need for tons of ballast or people.

These are with just a 750 in the surf side rear locker and a 400 in the ski locker.

This is with just me and my wife on board plus our 5 yeard old daughter. That's my son on the wave with Mt St. Helens in the backdrop.

This is me with just my wife, son, and daughter on board. Not quite as cool a pic as my son's but you get an idea of the length of the pocket.
Old     (cab13367)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-06-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
Here's a short vid of me this summer (I know, I'm not very good Same set up - 750 in the surf side rear locker and 400 in the ski locker. Just the wife and two kids on board. Board is a 4'-6" React Drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0lG1qsl6zA
Old     (cab13367)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-06-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
Al,
I really have nothing to do with this thread other than a good read, but I wanted to thank you. It is people like you that give good qualitative information and advice that makes this site worth reading.
Corbin,

Thanks for the kind words.

Al
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-06-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
I kinda figured the XLV would put out a nice surf wake, but the LSV's looks real good too. The older I get the more I like to surf, but I do still wake board. I'll have to look at the LSV's when I'm ready to buy a boat. Has anybody ever surfed a Avalanche and a LSV ? If so how would you compare the two surf wakes?

Last edited by Woody; 11-06-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-06-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
Moomba LSV vs Centurion Avalanche is no comparison. The Avalanche and Enzo are king in the surf business. The Moomba LSV cannot produce the pocket and push that the Centurion boats have.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-07-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Yes but the acceleration due to weight suck on a centurion and the wakeboard wake is very wide
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-07-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
any boat with lots of ballast will struggle to accelerate but that is easily fixed with the proper propeller.Also any of the newer boats with a 100" + beam will have a relay wide wakeboard wake but that to is an easy fix just shorten the line length on your rope tell your at a comfortable width for your skill level.I think all the newer boats buy all brands are nice and all have a little something different to offer you just have to sort through all the different makes and models to find one that best suits your needs and budget.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-07-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
I have an 2008 XLV and I can say I'm very happy with this boat. LOTs of room, I love the playpen bow especially with kids, 2650 lbs of ballast ALL hidden and never an issue with power (I have the 340 with the wakeboard prop and it's great). The surf wave is more then enough with 750's in the rear. We used to surf a lot but it got pretty boring after the first season. We put over 105 hours on it this year and about 1 or 2 hours are surfing compared with like 20hours the first year (after you get the hang of it, surfing is just kind of easy). All these hours were wakeboarding which is why I bought this boat, well that and the picture below. Fuel with the 340cat is actually pretty good, we can ride all day fully weighted and we go through 1/2-2/3rds of a tank. The 340 is suppossed to be better on fuel the the 325 actually. Take one for a ride.
Attached Images

Last edited by 501s; 11-07-2010 at 9:10 AM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-07-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Levi, if you have the stock OJ wakeboard prop you should really ditch it. It does nothing for the XLV. The Acme 1235 is the prop the XLV should have came with. Your XLV will be a much better boat in acceleration, no vibration (even if you don't think you dont have vibration...you do), cleaner wake, and less cabin noise.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-07-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Ya, AJ, every since I saw you post about this prop a while ago I have been thinking a lot about getting one. I have been meaning to send you a PM about it actually. I think it may be on my list for this winters upgrades. Where did you get yours and how much did it run you? I don't have a spare now anyways so it could be a worthy investment.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-07-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
Levi, call Nettles Props in Austin, TX. They have the Acme 1235 for $507 which no one can touch that price. Plus, Nettles is very well respected in the wake boat world and any of these types of forums. Be sure to ask for a new nylon nut kit as well, it's only $16-$17. They are only an hour from me so I just dropped in and picked up my prop. Drop me a line when you get this done and run your boat. You're gonna fall in love with your boat all over again.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-08-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
Levi - AJ is bang on.. That prop will be a huge change - it was the best thing I did to my Moomba..
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-24-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Freeboard - the height from the floor of the boat to the top of the sides of the boat (the gunwale). So more freeboard means the sides of the boat are taller which means passengers stay drier on a windy day or on a big lake with large swells.
One small correction, good information otherwise.

AI C had the right idea, but freeboard is the distance from the waterline to the gunwale, not the floor to the gunwale, so it can change. When ballasted you have less freeboard since your boat is lower in the water.

Last edited by jtnz; 11-24-2010 at 1:43 PM. Reason: .
Old    ausbill32            12-01-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
I had 2007 Moomba LSV. Good boat, never had an issue with anything mechanically or on the engine. Some of the more expensive brands have plusher interior but for the price LSV/XLV will win every time. I liked the walk through to the bow on the LSV as opposed to the play pen on the XLV. I'm not a pro rider so I didn't need a 700lb center sack on the XLV. $80-$100 bucks for gas if your out on the water all day. I didn't like the moomba cruise, I opted for GPS Star Gazer Perfect Pass, lots better if you have to turn a lot plus boat gets to and stays on speed. Good luck in your decision. Anything 2006+ newer is what you want, good luck !