Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-16-2009, 11:05 PM Reply   
07 and up JEEP 4door wrangler...good or not to tow a 210 w/ tandem trailer on very short trips (500 FT twice a week) and maybe 10-12 miles 2-3 times per year..all flat terrain.

I know it's rated at 3500 lbs so this is why I'm asking the WW people.

thanks!
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-17-2009, 5:47 AM Reply   
Get a rubicon as I am pretty sure they have a 5000lb capacity due to the lower gears. If you already own the jeep then just keep it in the slow lane and a really safe distance for stopping. I had a friend tow one with a 98 model jeep but he never got in a hurry....
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
I do not own the jeep yet, I am trying to figure out if it's worth it or not...
thanks for your input
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-17-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Why do people continue to ask these questions? It is not that I don't mind giving someone an answer, but the results are the same every time. How much does the car weigh and how much does the boat weigh? If the boat exceeds the car weight, you might want to consider not towing it. You can tow a 210 with a lawn mower if you want to go that slow. Most importantly it isn't "Can you pull it?", it is "Can you stop it?"

BTW someone will tell you that a diesel is needed. I highly doubt it.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
You need a diesel, preferably a dually with airbags and a tuner.....and some chase vehicles with "Wide Load" signs on them.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-17-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Rubicons have the same tow weight as regular. Its a con....jeeps suck at towing. i have no idea why, from the looks one would think they would be awesome, at least as good as an F150. But they are not even close.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-17-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
Also, when the 4drs first came out i thought that i could finally have a jeep and tow the boat. If you look at the specs I believe the 4dr and 2dr jeeps have the exact same tow capacity. its a damn shame.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
If you get an automatic trans you will probably be able to pull it. But have a tough time stopping it. If your ramp is very steep, the boat will drag the Jeep back into the water till the boats floating. Should make for an interesting launch.

If you get a manual trans, $10 says you smoke it int he first year.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
craig-

I guess you do not use fatsacs, led and have many people in your boat because the sticker says 10 ppl max. /1500# ..?

and after a bit of research, rubicons DO tow more than regular wranglers. 5300# with the 4:10..

any known issues with the manual tranny or you're implying that I will burn the clutch?

thanks guys!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
We used to tow our 205 with a Jeep CJ7, it was a 5 speed manual and it did it fine. Stopping probably would have sucked if the trailer brakes went south, but it never happened. 4WD Lo can pull anything out of the water.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
^^thanks for your input.

I guess the trailer brakes will come in handy!
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-17-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
5,300lbs really?

I wasn't meaning that as a negative comment. I was at the jeep dealer myself, I love wranglers. The brochure for the 2008 Rubicon clearly states 3500lbs is the towing capacity...

Do they make after-market 4:10 gears that you can have installed to up the towing capacity to 5300??
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Looking at the Jeep / Chrysler literature, and most of their smaller rigs have a pretty low tow capacity around 2500 - 3500 lbs. Less with their manual trans, more with the automatics. And up to 5000 if you use an weight distributing equalizer.

They need the equalizer because of the tongue weight. The trailer is heavy enough that it makes the steering get sketchy.

I have a neighbor who tried towing a 2005 X30 (probably 4500 - 5000 lbs) with his 07 Wrangler. It was a joke. Towed it OK, but steering & stopping was not. And the smell of clutch burning...... mmmmmm. He now has a Dodge pickup for towing.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Why don't you see of it'll tow on the test drive? I wait I bet it doesn't have a tow hitch yet cuz they suck at towing. I use to sell em and they SUCK at towing the wheel base and weight distribution versus the boat isn't good. Your trailer sways at all good luck getting back in line let alone you needing to swerve to avoid something. Can you do it? Yes. Will you enjoy towing with it? No. I speak from real world experience with an 08 Unlimited and a boat that weighs 3200lbs probably 4k with trailer and load.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-17-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
"I guess you do not use fatsacs, led and have many people in your boat because the sticker says 10 ppl max. /1500# ..? "

I don't think I am going to cause a major collision on the lake killing everyone within twenty feet of me by running over the cap sticker. BTW the towing capacity and the vehicle weight are two totally different specs. I said nothing about the towing capacity. It is just a simple rule of thumb to have your towing vehicle heavier than the object in tow for proper (somewhat) stopping. It is harder to stop when the object behind you has a greater momentum. For the record I have broken this rule of thumb many times, my dad farms and we have used some heavy equipment in the past. It is doable but the call is yours.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2009, 11:30 PM Reply   
thanks again for the replies guys.
I understand that it is NOT the best tow vehicule but like I said in my first post, the longest ditance is less than 10 miles while the ''everyday ''(twice a week) distance is around 500 ft !
I guess I'll go for a test drive and see how it does.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
500 feet flat tow: OK if you do not have to put it reverse (trailer brakes off) that had a decent grade or a gravel base unless you like sliding.

10-15 miles: It will be doable, but pushing safety as you know, but you can mitigate some of the safety issues by keeping slow. I have towed a slightly smaller and lighter boat with the smaller jeep over a similar distance but just kept it below 40MPH.