Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (mfenter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-31-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
While on the Sacramento river we hit a underwater log. It bent the wedge on our Malibu. Any advise as to where to take it and have the arms and wedge straightened? Is it cheaper to just buy a new wedge and mount it on, and if so is any idea on the cost. I was afraid to call and find out, Im sure it isnt cheap.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2006, 10:44 PM Reply   
Was there any prop damage? I would say that if there was no prop damage its most likely a failed wedge. The bolts commonly break and the force on the remaining bolts is enough to bend the arm.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
matt- this is the same thing that happened to me on my wedge of my last boat. That is exactly the problem, Malibu told me that they had a bad bunch of Wedges made by a company who wouldnt clean out the shavings from tapping the threads for the bolts. This was enough play to cause stress on the bolts and they would snap. My Wedge bent all the way around back under the boat and missed the hull by about an 1/8". I sent the Wedge back and they gave me a new one, free of charge.

Mike-in this situation just get a new one, your dealer should know about this, and may give you a free replacement.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-01-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
Clayton wrote:
"Malibu told me that they had a bad bunch of Wedges made by a company who wouldnt clean out the shavings from tapping the threads for the bolts"

I've been around the block a few times and have tapped a lot of holes and worked on a few projects where the design just wasn't up to the job. That statement, if it was made by someone in the know at Malibu, is pure B.S., a blatant attempt to shift the blame.

if the bolts are stripping out then they are using too soft of a metal, or too small of a screw. If the bolt is breaking then they either need a larger bolt or higher grade steel, or more of them.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
If I had a wedge I think I would just seam weld that thing right to the arm, lol.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-01-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
"I've been around the block a few times and have tapped a lot of holes"

Man, a lot of guys feel the same way...
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
I was about to say the same thing Garret!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
Where the foil attaches to the arms is supposed to be the weak link in the entire wedge assembly. Malibu designed it that way so that if you hit something or if enough force is put on the wedge it will break at the foil and not rip the transom apart (yeah we have all seen that one thread). This same thing happened to my wedge last summer and I had my wedge repaired, but because it was an insurance claim I got a new one so I have a repaired one sitting around that I need to put up for sale.

1. Go to a machine shop and have them bent the wedge arm back in place, should only cost a few bucks.

2. Call your dealer and order 4 new wedge bolts (they are back ordered right now so get your order in ASAP)

3. If you have the flat foil have it "presses" to make sure its flat. If you have the V foil...good luck seeing if its straight.

4. Put some lock tight on the new bolts before putting it all together and you will be good to go.