Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    peulock            10-25-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
How do you guys deal with fear? I can't ride confortably sometimes, I am not ashemed to say that, but it pisses me off...I had a pretty bad crash on a TS jump once, and I am still trying to improve my TS although there are days that I just can't land it because of fear....heeeelp!
share your thoughts and how you get that out of your head!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-25-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
fear of what?
Old    peulock            10-25-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
of getting hurt?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-25-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
hmmmmmmm.......... your crew isn't stoked enough. Get a boat full of loud, happy, fearless riders and you'll forget all about it!
Old    joeff            10-25-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
just dont think...just do.... thats what i do when i overthink something,also if u take a bad fall get back out there and try it again asap
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-25-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
it just water.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-25-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
how did you fall on a ts jump that hurt so bad? nose dive? slip out and slap your nuts? Ive only ever slapped the boys before but Ive seen the nosedive/whiplash faceplant... I got the wind knocked out of me and basically whiplashed on a 3 attempt this summer, the best thing you can do is what paul and joe said, go out and do it, I did and I found out the fall was just a fluke...
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-25-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
Might want to try wearing a supporter or a cup to remove the fear factor.

It doesn't help to read all the posts about bad injuries on this board!
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-26-2005, 2:00 AM Reply   
Just go for it.......what could possibly go wrong?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2005, 4:00 AM Reply   
Probably the best strategy would be to hire a professional coach for a lesson and commit yourself only to working on that TS jump. The best way to get over fear is through mastery and repeated exposure to the feared experience with positive outcomes. The best and by far the most efficient way to accomplish this mastery is with the aid of an instructor. It should only take one day (or less) of intensive work to accomplish the goal of mastery and then subsequently repeated exposure with positive outcome. My wife had a mental block against charging the wake TS. We did a lesson with Mike Schwenne, and he had her successfully doing them w2w by mid-day, now she does not fear them.

I know fear can be a beeyotch. I got a concussion trying switch HS backrolls years ago, and now my mind plays tricks with me and disrupts my approach on the cut. Also smashed my jaw in two places once on a backside 3, and now I also am fearful of throwing that one, although for some reason I can throw them switch without the same fear. And I am a clinical psychologist. I know what to do even without people telling me, but translating that into action sometimes is easier said than done. I say hire a supportive and competent instructor for a day to get you over this hurdle.

Secondly, get some training in diaphragmatic (relaxation) breathing techniques and do them before (and perhaps) during your run. I used to get mental and biff my tricks during competitions, now I incorporate some diaphragmatic breathing while I'm waiting my turn on the starting dock, and it helps a huge amount. I can provide some references if you need, but the techniques should be pretty readily available in the self help and/or sports psychology section at any good bookstore. Let me know if you want a reference to pick up something online. The books will tell you to lie down to do these techniques. That is a good idea until you get the feel for them, but once you have some practice, you should be abe to do the techniques pretty much anywhere, even while riding.

Good luck, you can do it, but it will be much easier with the structure and support of a day's lesson. Once you have it, then you will have it. But more falls and negative experiences during the learning process will work against you, and the best way to avoid this is with a lesson/coach.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-26-2005, 4:48 AM Reply   
Man! NO wonder you call yourself a Doc! Great info!!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-26-2005, 5:13 AM Reply   
dococ is right on the money with the relaxation breathing techniques. I was taught that in skydiving. Some days I pumped and some days freaked before a jump. The breathing technique cured it every time. Out with the bad air and in with the good. I've taken some pretty nasty crashes boarding myself and every time I freak or feel nervous, I revert back to the breathing technique. Doesn't always help me land the trick, but the mental fear block is gone. Good luck and always remember if your not always good, you've gotta be tough.

(Message edited by Dudeman on October 26, 2005)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
The science behind it is that these breathing techniques help jump start the parasympathetic nervous system, which is a relaxation system. It runs opposite and counter to the sympathetic nervous system, which is the "fight or flight" system that shoots you with adrenaline and gets you ready for action. When the sympathetic nervous system is overactive or misfires in response to a perceived (or exaggerated) threat to one's safety (in this case the TS jump is the exaggerated threat), then anxiety is the result. The diaphragmatic breathing techniques shut help shut this down. It's pretty simple with a bit of practice and very effective.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-26-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
What the Doc said is good stuff, I know some pro riders that have used sports hypnoses to get over a mental block, probabley not for everyone but it worked for them. I know Baseball players, golfers and others pro athletes use this.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-26-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
Great info so far. I would add, to ride with others who will help push you to a new level. Also, DON'T read the injury threads on this site. That is a mind@uCk, that will stay-n-play on your dome when your behind the boat. If and when you get an injury, then you can search those threads again for useful info, but I don't need to hear/read about tearing MCL's & ACL's, snapping sticks, etc. If I want that, I can watch the NFL on Sundays. Injuries are part of life, accept that and do what you can to protect your body.
I have a cousin who fell from a 4 foot ladder cleaning the windows on his house and died. My point to you is this, you can get hurt walking around your home. At least with airing it out at 70 feet behind a tow, your doing something you have a passion for and living life.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-26-2005, 7:49 AM Reply   
defintatly dont think about it...just do it..and make sure you commit 100% to it..
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-26-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
Dang, I was going to clean my windows this weekend.:-(
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-26-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Dam Doc knows his sh$$. I would say what the Doc said!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-26-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
I've taken that nose dive on TS. We call it the "Lawn Dart"
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-26-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
I'm finally there with you, Peu. Our second run to Havasu this year, I decided I wanted to try the Tantrum and TS BR. Got no business doing either, but they look easy enough. The week before I'm reading Wakeworld stories about compound fractures during a Tantrum attempt. So when I head WAYYY out on my toes and then charge back in (been a LONG time since I did either of them), I'm thinking "it's not right to come at the wake with this much speed", which I can deal with cuz you need the trip edge, but then the WW post surfaced and I threw on the brakes. Haven't tried that one since.

Next, I thought, well, I'll try the TS BR. Night before heading to Elsi, I read about the compound ankle deal at the binding top. Told my friend about that one on the way to the lake. He was like, "dude, you can't be bringing that kind of stuff up".

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish Sean Jackson was with us.......it's calming to know you've got a paramedic on board!!!!!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-26-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   

quote:

By Peu (peulock) on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:15 pm:

of getting hurt?

do you have insurance?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-26-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
If you want it bad enough, you are not scared. I have given my self plenty of concussions, broken a few bones, recked my back, stiches, chipped teeth. And I always go out as soon as I am back to health and do the trick that bit me first run. You gotta. If you want it bad enough there is no fear.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-26-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
Ask the CIE crew about "Herbie"........ It's the little voice in your head that says you can't do something.

"F*CK Herbie" is what we go buy!!!1111
Old    murrayair            10-26-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Try riding to whatever music gets you amped up. When I am riding to one on my favorite songs my level of anxiety goes way, way down.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-26-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
I love the "its just water" resonse. I've never seen such a high percentage of people get hurt doing any other sport.

but ya, dont think, do. (not that I do, I wimp out all the time cause I can never shut off the old thinking cap).
Old    260searay            10-26-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
Hey Peu.....I hear ya man being a rookie and all. I took some really hard crashes this summer. I am the only one around here that wakeboards besides a couple that are still learning to edge so i have no help other the dvd's and this site. Learning to jump was the biggest crashes i took. Towards the end of summer i was working on my toeside w2w's and one day in mid air i was pulled off ballance and did like a 90 and landed with the board sideways. When the board hit the edge just dug deep and they heard my head hit from in the boat. I had a sore kneck, was seeing foggy, a bad head ache and was scared sh#$t less. I can NOT get over my fears.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-26-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
Maybe the fear is the smart side of your brain saying "What the heck are you doing? You know you can break your legs or snap your neck off doing this?" And maybe the part that calms the fear is really your dumb side saying "What the heck? If I die here, at least I'll have respect, baby!"
Old    sking55405            10-26-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
ive really never expeirienced this with wakeboarding but when i ride mx i took a bad fall off a huge jump and got jacked up. the thing for me is i know it is gonna happen again sometime but i would rather go out on my bike and air it out then sit inside and be scared for the rest of my life.
Old    260searay            10-26-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
Yeah chris king i know all about MX. I raced for 9 years untill i got a fractured eye socket. I raced all over the country. The year before i got hurt bad i went to Gainsville Fl for the Winter Olympics in the 250 B class and there is a jump called the elevator. It is a huge step up that none of the 125 A class riders could clear. I ended up doing it finally and was pumped. Man that was by far the biggest step up i have ever seen.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-26-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
My golden rule for doing something that takes some ball5 is 'if you're gonna do it, commit 100% to it, or don't do it at all'.

It's the same with mountain biking and loads of other sports. All or nothing at all.

Pete
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-26-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
Damn!! there were a few times I fell backwards and got the damn whiplash and one session I was scared to just jump the wake...Im serious...it took a couple hot chicks to get in the boat before I got my courage back.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-26-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
Although doc oc may have a point, he has fogotten about the obvious and easier method. ALCOHOL!!! Take 4 beers before your ride and call me in the morning. Jon MD

(Message edited by jonm on October 26, 2005)
Old    260searay            10-26-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Jon you have a point there. Although i have ridden completely smashed before and could not land a w2w for the life of me. So i got back in the boat and drank another beer. Courage in a can! I do think that alcohol may make you ride over your head though.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-26-2005, 5:12 PM Reply   
I experienced the TS nosedive, fling out of bindings, huge headache one too many times last summer. It hurts, but you've got to get right back up immediately and try it again or else you'll over think it and the same thing will happen again. It also helps if you have some loud energetic friends in the boat motivating you to nail the trick.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-26-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
I've experienced the TS nosedive, flung out of bindings, "kiss the water," incident one too many times this past summer. I know it's painful, (head pounding and all) but you've GOT to get up IMMEDIATELY and try it again, even if you don't land it. If not, you'll over think it, and fall. It also helps to have some loud, energetic friends in the boat egging you on too.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-26-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
my approach is slow and controlled progression, so i always try to break a trick into constituent parts and master those before trying the actual trick. consequently i rarely feel fearful or uncertain on the water. the only byach is that it takes forever to progress, but what's the rush if you're just riding for fun?
Old    peulock            10-26-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
ok...I really have to go and do it...and I have landed TS jumps perfectly but sometimes there is definitely a mind block....this was the crash....it was end of last year, I know what I did wrong but just have some fun watching it!!

http://www.wakepics.com/img/17384
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-26-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
nice crash. You'll learn how to take those with your forehead though, not on your chin.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-26-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
oooook, if you can even stand watching that, then I say you are fine! On a side note, that has nothing to do with your toeside wake to wake jump, you cased the wake (it happens) but what happened after is what killed ya, and why does it look like ya let go with your back hand before even leaving the wake? Keep both hands on the handle all the way through the air except (maybe) right before you land. Keep the handle IN and your back straight, landing like that can really hurt your back. I landed bent at the waist to the slightest degree (I think) this fall and my back is still a bit jacked up (but I do crew so that aggrivates it some) but remember on toeside, arms slightly bent, handle down near from hip, hips up, back straight, knees slightly bent, lean into it and hold that position in the air, head up... don't let the handle out like you did I would almost venture to say you won't fall like that again?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-26-2005, 10:16 PM Reply   

quote:

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish Sean Jackson was with us.......it's calming to know you've got a paramedic on board!!!!!

now that's ironic! i was riding with sean the day he blew out his knee. that was one day he had to be the rescuee, not the rescuer!

the byline for the fiction book "the rhythm section," had this quote on it that i always found cool and relates to the subject at hand:

"Drums and bass are the rhythm section. Your heart is the drums, your breathing is the bass. You get those two sorted, then you're sorted. You can't panic when your breathing's under control and you've got your pulse in check. It's not physically possible."

(Message edited by deepstructure on October 26, 2005)
Old    peulock            10-26-2005, 10:18 PM Reply   
I know Duane, I even laugh about it...I land ts jumps but sometimes I have mental blocks and take silly falls from lack of confidence...this weekend I won't think about it, i'll just do it!