Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-27-2013, 6:32 AM Reply   
So I'm going to the US for a few weeks and I figure I'll pick up a sim card for while I'm over there. I have an unlocked phone that'll work in America, but whenever I look online, for prepaid options, cos there's no point in getting a yearly contract, I can only get a phone with the sim.

I heard Verizon has good coverage for Orlando, so I checked them out, and it'll cost me $50 for the sim for the month, but it looks like I have to buy a phone with it, adding another $40-50, and I'm not about to shell out $100 for 3 and a half weeks.

Over here, I can go into any store and get a sim card, with €5 credit for €5. I don't have any form to fill out and there's no questions asked. If I want to use it, there has to be credit on it, and I can use that for talk/text/data. If I head into a shop, can I just do the same over there?

Cheers
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-27-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
You could probably just get a pre-paid that uses a SIM card, like AT&T or T-Mobile. When I was in Orlando area, my AT&T had zero issues. Ebay has SIM cards for cheap and then just activate a pre-paid plan I would prolly say.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-27-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
Verizon doesn't use sim cards (I have Verizon as my carrier and I don't have a sim card, but maybe prepaid is different???).
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-27-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
New Verizon iPhones have SIM cards. I was amazed to see it. How much they actually are doing is another question.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-27-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
I have an Iphone 5 that I bought in October and it does not have a sim card. Is this something that is coming soon or released in the past few weeks.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-27-2013, 4:46 PM Reply   
They may not. I saw a 5 yesterday and it has a SIM card slot. They may not be utilizing t. I have AT&T so I'm not certai . I do know I saw the same slot. I thought for 4g they needed it. Maybe I just dreamed that though lol
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2013, 6:34 PM Reply   
Verizon is CDMA, if your current carrier is in Europe and the handset uses a SIM, chances are you have a GSM devise. Won't work on Verizon. When here goto a place like WalMart, pick up what ever their cheapest prepaid GSM phone is, put the SIM in your phone.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       02-28-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
I have an Iphone 5 that I bought in October and it does not have a sim card. Is this something that is coming soon or released in the past few weeks.
Are you sure? I got mine in September and it has a sim card.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-28-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
Dude check out Solavei... They use sims... quick and easy to sign up just click the "enroll Today" link ... added perk they pay you for new people you sign up to the tune of 20 bucks a month for every three people every month as long as you maintain service with them... www.thepurplepays.com
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-28-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
also verizon iphone 4s and up have sim card slots but dont use them ... at least that is what i've seen
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Dude check out Solavei... They use sims... quick and easy to sign up just click the "enroll Today" link ... added perk they pay you for new people you sign up to the tune of 20 bucks a month for every three people every month as long as you maintain service with them... www.thepurplepays.com
It's that they use TMobile which is GSM which will support his devise.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-28-2013, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
It's that they use TMobile which is GSM which will support his devise.
Yes thats correct they use TMobile which is GSM and supports his device
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-28-2013, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfrider139 View Post
Are you sure? I got mine in September and it has a sim card.
My provider is Verizon and it doesn't have a sim card.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-28-2013, 2:11 PM Reply   
Like others have said, go out and buy the cheapest prepaid tmobile phone, you'll be able to at least make calls.

Apple now makes one phone, starting with the 4s that works on both GSM and CDMA. Thats why your verizon phone has a sim tray and a sim card from verizon, but it doesn't do anything in the US. When your overseas it will use the sim to work on other networks.

Verizon will actually unclock your phone and when you go to a foreign country you just pop a sim in the tray from that country.
Old    alanp            03-04-2013, 9:48 PM Reply   
i travel a bit internationally and always shake my head at the sim issue in the united states. just purely sucks.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-05-2013, 3:30 AM Reply   
It seems I can get one off T mobile so I'm going to nip into best buy and pick one up while I'm there. Think I can get a decent amount of internet for $30 a month which suits me fine. The thing that confuses me is having to activate the sim and then picking a plan.
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-05-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
I would just buy a prepaid phone from walgreens or somewhere similar. Easy to use and you would have a simple U.S. phone number making it easier for people to call you so they don't get an international charge
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
Is not a Sim card in your Verizon phone is the 4g LTE card. Verizon had never used Sim cards.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-06-2013, 10:49 AM Reply   
Hate it's not a 4g LTE card, that's built into the iphone5 I believe. My 4s does not have LTE but has the sim. It's a micro sim card, even says Verizon on it, they might not use but it's there.