Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
This one has me a bit stumped. If you're familiar with these boats, the relay I need to replace is on the underside of the plate that houses the ECM. so, rather than attempting to reach under said plate and detach the relay, I set out the detach the plate itself, hoping then to detach the relay.

BUT, it would seem that the positioning of the relay is preventing me from getting my wrench on the bolt attaching the plate to the engine

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
Does the solenoid have a bolt and a nut? Or is the solenoid mounted to the plate with just a bolt?

I am thinking that the wires that are on the top side of the plate may scoot out of the way enough to get a 1/4 inch ratchet, extension and swivel on the backside of the bolt where a nut might live?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-19-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Jack- I see you're still working on this problem. Were you finally able to determine it was the relay for sure or are you still trying to trouble shoot this thing. Hopefully you've got it nailed down now.

Stan
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-19-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
hey Stan,

yeah, I figured it out the hard way, went and bought a new starter, installed it, and had the same prob. I eventually determined it was the relay by bypassing and essentially hotwiring the starter.

I'm still able to take the boat out, especially with my handy hotwiring device on board, but I've just now been able to find the time to fix it properly.

now it just happens to be a PAIN to get to the little sucker!
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-19-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
eric,

that was my first move, there is a nut on top of the plate and a bolt that comes up from the underside to secure the relay. I can get to the top mounted nut, but the bolt on the underside is giving trouble.

problem is, I'm not so sure that if I can eventually just detach the relay from the plate, that I'll even have enough breathing room to wire the new relay and mount it!
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
You could extend the wires going to and from the relay to make your life easier when reinstalling the new relay? Just keep the wire colors straight? Cant see them anyway so its not like it will look ugly
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-19-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
not a half bad idea, Eric.

I've just now managed to remove the ecm plate but now that it's off, I'm not all too certain that it's going to make things easier or not.

oh well, trial and error it is.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-21-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
Any update?
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-22-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
FINALLY got this thing popped out, and replaced. The new relay has been doing the trick.

It was a battle. Had to remove sidewalls of engine compartment and the fuel control cell so I could access the bolts securing the ECM, and I still barely had room to get a wrench on the ECM.

I'm glad it's done and that I was able to do it unassisted, but it was one of those deals where every bolt was a project unto itelf.

Thanks for the advice, guys.