Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (mccoyboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
Ok heres the deal everyone. For about three weekends and about 7 or 8 sesions ive been trying to land the tantrum. Im doing Pretty good to. every time i try it it ends up being very consistent the only problem is that the handle slips out of my hands everytime i land back on the water. Now... heres the big question i have. Is 7 or 8 sesions enough should i have it by now or should i just keep trying and it will eventualy happen. im the first one in our group to try it so they cant help me as much. Please... is there anyone out there that this has happened to or is there a little tip that can help me?

(pics later)
Old     (rasta_rider)      Join Date: May 2008       06-09-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
just watch Detention or the Book n see wat ur doing wrong.. if its just a matter of slipping the handle, then man up and hold on or get a better handle... this trick shouldnt take too long to learn either .. got it in definitely less than 10 tries if i recall correctly..
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-09-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
You could try pulling a little on the rope when you're in the air to give yourself some slack. I'm at pretty much the same stage as you with my tantrum, landed a sketchy one and lost the handle... that's about as close as I've come to making it. I've been at it for a while too, everyone progresses at different rates so just keep trying it and you'll get it.
Old     (mccoyboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
Kyle,
i have both of those and they dont say anything about the landing. also quick question if you come back to this thread. how do you like the shane bindings ive been thinkin about some '08s for my self. just thought id ask.

jos,
thanks for the tip and also my dad thinks that if i try to look down the line as i am in the air that might square my sholders back up with the boat and making the board more level with the water. i think along with that and pulling on the rope i can land it this weekend. any other tips anyone?
thanks
Old     (rasta_rider)      Join Date: May 2008       06-09-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
i love the shanes!! they r really comfy and have so good flex to them... but i dont really know wat to tell you about the landing for this trick because its just one of those inverts u can spot really easy, so it can be landed fairly easily. just maybe try to rotate it a little more so u will land more back on the rope cuz maybe u r under rotating it and thats causing u to drop the handle..
Old     (seankey)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-09-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
I had the same problem when I started getting close to landing the tantrum. Just keep at it. You just have to get used to it, and it will become more controlled. What helped me a lot with this trick is coming in very squatted. Come in real low to the water, and then flatten out your board and start to straighten up as soon as you get to the bottom of the wake. I started landing them consistently after I started using that technique.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-09-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
Dylan,
it sounds like your landing with to much line tension and popping the handle.

you might be throwing the tantrum out the back, or possibly not letting the wake trip the board.. but rather throwing a backflip from half way?

if your regular footed, try throwing your right shoulder towards the boat. this will help you flip towards the boat slightly and give you a bit of slack for the landing.

keep at it, you'll get it soon.
Old     (rothwellfiles)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-10-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
I've been thinking about trying these for a while now...Just wondered what the falls are like?

I have heard that they can be bad - even ankle crushers!???

Are the worse than backrolls?

I can do backflips on the tramp and got good pop...
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
With any invert you always bring the handle to your in to your body. The comment before about pulling on the handle is kinda correct but you dont want slack in your rope cause then you loose your pop. this is what i do when i am going to hit the tantrum...
You have a steady edge toward the wake when you hit the wake do not let go with your one hand untill you get your pop. the wake will throw you so don't have to do anything with the rotation.. just look back and watch the water...
This is what i do... I have had the handle rip out of my hand but that is cause i was just trying to hard. Its a really easy and smooth trick. Don't try so hard to rotate it.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-10-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
I'm still at the point of being very close to the landing, sometimes my board will land flat and I smack hard and fall right over.

So probably not too much help on the technique (though the common tip of wait as long as you can before popping at least gets me the closest) but I can speak plenty for the falls. Yes they can sometimes hurt your ankles if you come in just short. If you're really short and land on your head it doesn't hurt at all. Sometimes I don't come in even with the wake and I'll fall on one side of my body and that can sting a little bit.

At the most these stings will put you in the boat for a bit but you're ok for the next set. The ankle smashers are the worst.

Only tried backrolls a little and I was throwing the roll myself. They didn't hurt at all though cause the board would slice into the water breaking things up before my body hit.
Old     (mccoyboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
Rothwell,
The worst landing ive had is when the board hit the handle, (dont ask how it happend i dont even know) all i remember is that my hand hit the water first and i thought it was broken for a couple of days. other then that its the whole fear factor thing. if your going to do it-- do it cause if you make a half ass attempet at it then you will get hurt.

good luck and thanks for all the good advice everyone

Dylan
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-10-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
Dylan, it could be a couple of things but without seeing what your tantrum looks like, here's some additional suggestions.

If the handle is slipping out of your hands because you're landing on the board with lots of weight on your back foot, making it hard to keep your grip on the handle - try to make sure you're edging into the wake with even pressure on both feet. This will help keep the line tension constant and you'll land evenly on the board making it easier to control the handle on the landing.

If you're just popping the handle on the landing - make sure to not let the handle out while you're in the air. Meaning keep the handle in once you leave the wake. I see this a lot when riders are learning this trick, they let the handle out and there's so much tension that they can't muscle it back in once they're coming around for the landing.

Good luck!
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-11-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Try the old school way like I roll. Rubber handle and I still wear gloves. lol. Flame on
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-11-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
Hang somewhere outside of the white wash...
Progressive edge...Handle at the lead hip, toe up at the top of the wake, go for the grab and you'll make every time
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       06-11-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
rothwell, the falls aren't bad at all. I landed my tantrum on my 15 try, was under rotating the whole time and the only thing that hurts is slapping your nuts on the water. the only time i've ever over rotated was the only time i got hurt, one foot came out of bindings and sliced my ankle on the board. just tighten your bindings

Once i actually let the wake trip me by switching to my toeside edge i landed it first try. Like said above, make sure you are getting tripped and aren't throwing it and it will come easy.
Old     (rothwellfiles)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-12-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
Taylor, that's what I thought. I've taken my fair share of beatings on backrolls and 3's but you hear all kinds of stories about people breaking their ankles etc on tantrums!?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-12-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
One of my buddies over rotated too much on one after he was starting to hit them and completely trashed his knee. He is done till next season. Keep at it, you'll get it
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       06-12-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
think i spoke too soon, should have knocked on wood. Went out today and landed 3 for 3 but the last one barely got around and my 6 foot 6 knees took a beating.
Old     (sinister_designs)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-13-2008, 12:39 AM Reply   
what speed are you riding at?